Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with my 440 PLEASE 15 Jun 2006 05:56 #54613

• deerslayer
  • deerslayer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently purchased a 83' LZ440LTD. It is in really good shape but it has not been run lately. I have had it about a week and a half, riding it everyday, back and forth to work. I ran a little fuel treatment through it due to a hesitation in first gear when I took off, Well the more I ride it the idle speed has been going up and up. I changed the oil and plugs last night, making sure the gap's were right on the plugs(ones that came out were off) and now its even worse! My idle speed is around 2,000-2,2200rpm's. Can anyone help me...Please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with my 440 PLEASE 15 Jun 2006 07:16 #54625

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Have you tuned the bike? Adjusted the valves, timing, cleaned/lubed mechanical ignition advance? Have you adjusted your throttle cables? There must be visible slack. Also, warm the bike and THEN adjust the idle speed. There is a knob on your assembly that adjusts the throttle position so that the slides are open a specific amount and this is what adjusts the idle as a result.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Help with my 440 PLEASE 15 Jun 2006 08:07 #54636

• deerslayer
  • User
When I purchased the bike the gentleman said he just had the valves adjusted and carbs synchronized. I just found the idle adjustment screw this morning, its underneath the carbs. Gonna adjust it this afternoon after I leave work and get the bike warmed up. I might try and call around and try to find someone who can tune it up for me this afternoon(timing,ect)

Help with my 440 PLEASE 15 Jun 2006 10:51 #54679

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The idle speed issue will not be affected by the synchronization in general. I suggest that if you buy a new motorcycle, to baseline its state of tune. If you are not comfortable as a mechanic, at least read your owners manual or pick one up and learn some of the operating basics like idle speed adjustment. Next, take the bike to a trustworthy shop and have them:

1. check compression. Make sure it is within spec
2. adjust valves. If shims are used, insist that replacement shims be purchased (z1enterprises.com has them for most bikes) and not to grind shims
3. tune ignition; set timing, replace plugs, points, condensor and plug wires - clean and lube the mechanical ignition advance
4. synchronize carburetors, adjust idle mixture and install a new air filter.
5. have the shop assess the condition of the chain and adjust as necessary and have them look at the brake pads and brake drums.
6. have the shop assess the condition of the cables and replace as necessary.
7. change all fluids (oil, brake fluid)
8. Check for rust in the tank. Remove and clean the petcock screen (internal to the tank) and install a new inline gas filter. If there is rust, see what they recommend.

Once you get that stuff done, you will be in for a reliable and fun summer of riding. Get a Clymer or Kaw Factory Service Manual and look it over and try and pick things you can do yourself as many of these maintenance tasks don't require in-depth mechanical knowledge. If you have a kzrider.com member near you, they may be able to assist you doing some of these chores. Good luck!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Help with my 440 PLEASE 16 Jun 2006 07:07 #54866

• deerslayer
  • User
Is the filter in the tank that is attached to the petcock servicable?

Help with my 440 PLEASE 19 Jun 2006 05:53 #55453

• deerslayer
  • User
Well I found my problem, I took the bike to a friend of my dads who race's kawasaki motorcycle's, sells parts for older bike's. HE looked at it for about ten seconds and said the coupler's that hook the carbs to the engine have cracks in them, and someone tried to goop silicone on them to reseal them! He picked out a few other things, and said if I get the new parts he would take the bike to new jersey to his carburettor guy and have hime fix and then tune it for me! Any one know a good place to get carb parts, I think I want to get a gasket kit as well as the couplers just in case they need it, also need the diaphragm and gasket on top of the carb! thanks for your help in advance......

• Page: