Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Not sure what to do next.... '91 Zephyr 750 27 Jun 2010 00:32 #378486

• benjia
  • benjia's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok about a month ago I took the carbs out and replaced the float bowl o-rings/gaskets because of leakage and cleaned up the outside of them also. In the process of doing that I replaced all the rubbers on the engine side and air box side. While trying to put the carbs back in their brackets I bent an one of the 3 synchronizing springs so I replaced those with news ones.

So now I am trying to get this thing back together the way it was before and get it to run better than it was before.

I have found a good bit of useful info here but I need more and I don't feel like blowing another night hunting through posts. So if I could get some help it would be AMAZING!!!

I have already found out that the 4 pilot screws should be set at 2 turns out. That's good.

Now I would like to know if there is a preset adjustment for 1.) the idle speed adjuster screw and 2.) the 3 synchronizing screws that allow you to sync the four carbs into two pairs and then the two pairs together (they go with the springs I replaced).

I am WAY off on something here and would like to at least get it back to the factory settings so I have more of a place to start.

At this point the bike will hardly run. When it does it is really rough and and will only run for about 15 seconds before it wants to die and at that point I give it some gas and the rpm's jump and it will run but as soon as I let off it will die. Or it will start right up and as soon as I try giving it some gas it dies. It almost seems like Im flooding it.... HELP!!!

And one last request....
Does anyone have a picture of how all the cables, vacuum tubes, and coil pack wiring runs under the frame? I started this project so long ago I don't remember how it goes back and wanna do it right.

Thanks for any info in advance and for helpin a nube out....

Ben
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not sure what to do next.... '91 Zephyr 750 27 Jun 2010 13:26 #378599

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
I have a '91 Zephyr 750. There was a Zephyr Zone Forum, but it is currently down for 'maintenance'.

I have the Kawasaki factory manual, and also the Haynes. They show all the things you would need. Regularly, they are available at Ebay. Just search: Kawasaki Zepnyr

The carbs should be Keihin CVK32s. My manual actually says the mix screws shoud be 2-3/4, assuming your carbs are clean, in good shape, and stock. I have them at 3-1/2 and a K&N filter is the only non-stock item.

There is no preset on the idle screw that I know of. Other than measuring before disassemble. Once the bike is running and warmed up, it is easy to adjust it, to about 1100-1200 rpms.

About the synchonizing; of course, you need a synch gauge, preferably a Morgan, or one with metal rods, but some people make sure the amount of light is same thru the butterflies, before mounting the carbs, to get them close. The float levels is something you should have checked also. Your post does not indicate you have cleaned and inspected the carbs, other than replacing the bowls gaskets.

There are two big hoses that are bowls vents that run backward and down, connected to nothing. The vaccum nipples of carbs 2 & 3 go to a "T" and the fuel petcock. Nipple of carbs 1 & 4 to the vaccum valve to reed valves on the valve cover, that feeds fresh air to exhaust ports.

The Keihin CVKs dont have 'choke' plates, they are really enrichener plungers. The engines are hard to start after not runing for a few weeks, and the 'chokes' have a on/off character. Without careful, and I mean real careful modulation, the engine will run to 6K rpms on full 'choke'. It is hard to find the right spot, specially after a long period of not running.

My bike is almost 20 years old, and has been very reliable with proper care and sensible moderate riding. Don't know how many miles, abused, or neglected you bike may have been, or wheather you have checked things like compression, valve clearances, spark plugs, and coils.

Hope this help.

Last edit: by hugo.

Not sure what to do next.... '91 Zephyr 750 29 Jun 2010 03:23 #378931

• benjia
  • benjia's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey thanks so much for the info! I haven't had a chance to get to work on my baby;) yet but it will be soon. I am getting a factory service manual today also so im looking forward to that getting here.

And as for my question about where cables and wires go I actually have all of them hooked up correctly I just want to make sure I have them ran the correct way.... they don't seem to be laying like I think they should.
So if anyone has a pick of a 750 with the tank off and from the side I'd love to see it!

Thanks so much!
Ben

• Page: