Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brass carb plugs 08 Mar 2006 17:08 #29470

• arobsum
  • arobsum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i had to drill out one of my brass plugs to clean a port. will lead work as a substitute to fill the hole?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

brass carb plugs 08 Mar 2006 17:51 #29482

• NOS
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
arobsum wrote:

i had to drill out one of my brass plugs to clean a port. will lead work as a substitute to fill the hole?

hmmm... I guess that could work, never tried that before. I would think you could use JB Weld or something like that, and it would be a little easier to do. ( at least I think it would be easier:unsure: )

brass carb plugs 09 Mar 2006 06:47 #29564

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Port? What is a "Port" on a carburetor? What kind of carburetor did you drill into? I have yet to drill any brass plug anywhere on any carburetor I have worked on so am sort of curious. The only thing that ever really needs drilling is the aluminum caps that cover some mixture screws and the carburetors you are likely to be using with the bikes you have listed don't use these aluminum caps.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

brass carb plugs 09 Mar 2006 15:46 #29676

• arobsum
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

Port? What is a "Port" on a carburetor? What kind of carburetor did you drill into? I have yet to drill any brass plug anywhere on any carburetor I have worked on so am sort of curious. The only thing that ever really needs drilling is the aluminum caps that cover some mixture screws and the carburetors you are likely to be using with the bikes you have listed don't use these aluminum caps.

the passageways mikuni drilled out to make the air channels. they cap them off with little brass bb's. they are usually located where they had to drill at an angle or where two passageways intersected. they are then capped off with brass bb's. if you look at a mikuni carb you can see them. i had an obtrusion under one, drilled out the brass bb, cleaned it out. its ok now. i just wanted to know if lead was ok.

brass carb plugs 10 Mar 2006 05:23 #29810

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The brass BBs block a blind passageway in the top of the float bowl. It doesn't lead to an opening. On one side is a passageway leading to the vent and the other side is blind. Some don't use the BBs and some do. There is no real reason for them to be there. The carbs were cast with passageway castings on both sides to give them flexibility to use the basic casting in a variety of types of assemblies. If you need to reblock this for peace of mind, use JB Weld as has been suggested. JB Weld is not affected by gas.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

brass carb plugs 11 Mar 2006 06:10 #30072

• arobsum
  • User
ok. thanks for the input.

• Page: