Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with a part 16 Jan 2006 19:01 #18196

• Brad78Kz650
  • Brad78Kz650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
im looking for the rubber connectors with the vacume test tubes on them that connects the carbs to the engine after going through all kinds of pains with this bike all i can figure is its the rubber connecter leaking air not letting it idle right anyone know where i can get or how to make some of these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with a part 16 Jan 2006 20:19 #18202

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Z1 enterprises is awesome. Bikebandit.com is good too (their parts lookup is pretty nice), but I like to start with Z1 since the owner stocks a lot of parts for our older bikes and he's a pleasure to deal with (much more so than the local dealers!). I like to start shopping where I've gotten good service in the past, and that's Z1.

Having bad manifold boots WILL cause idle problems, so if yours are bad it's definitely worth it to replace them.

Jeff (the owner of Z1) does sell these manifold boots. These should fit your '78 650.

I double-checked, since you didn't mention whether your bike is a B2, B2A, C2, D1 (SR), or D1A (SR), which were all made in 1978. The parts at the link I provided should fit all of those 1978 Kawasaki 650cc bikes.

And consider some new airbox boots too -- getting the carbs back in is MUCH easier when your airbox boots aren't stiff and cracking in between your sore thumbs.

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 06:40 #18239

• Brad78Kz650
  • User
Much thanks thats exactly what i was looking for. One more question when the bike is idling (it will only idle hight not around 1.5 where its supposed to) i hear clicking noise that seems to affect the idling also any idea what that is?

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 09:53 #18256

• rtg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
As a customer (4 or 5 times ) of z1 enterprises let me add..
1. Jeff KNOWS what he's talking about .
2.prices are much better than dealerships who usually make a minimal effort to get what you need.
3.Service and attitude are integral parts of a SUCCESSFUL business ...you can expect this from z1 enterprises .
4 In other words, If you need parts ...ALWAYS try Jeff first!Everything I've ever ordered has been good stuff and the right stuff.
RTG

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 10:13 #18262

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
If your carburetors are not perfectly synced, you'll get rattling from the primary chain and a rough idle. This is common on 650s, where the 900/1000 that uses a gear drive primary, much less of a problem. If your engine is in good shape the mercury synchroniser tools work well. If your engine is very high mileage, the primary chain stretches and agravates the problem, and sometimes syncing the carbs perfectly with the mercury guage makes matters no better.(sometimes much worse). In this case I've had much better results just removing the carbs and doing a mechanical sync, making sure all the slides are set to the identical position. Also the intake boots you are replacing will definately cause this same condition if they are not sealing.
Brad78Kz650 wrote:

Much thanks thats exactly what i was looking for. One more question when the bike is idling (it will only idle hight not around 1.5 where its supposed to) i hear clicking noise that seems to affect the idling also any idea what that is?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 11:55 #18272

• Brad78Kz650
  • User
Its not a rattle more like a clicking noise when it clicks the idle changes usually down it sounds like its coming from below the battery i think also it seems like when i take if off the kick stand and get it up right it seems to cut out also i guess ill just get the new boots and go from there thanks
edit: i just got done taking of the carbs and cleaning them and i syncd them to wish i didnt have to take them off again they where a pain to get back on :()

Post edited by: Brad78kz650, at: 2006/01/17 15:16

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 14:12 #18291

• GargantuChet
  • User
Some advice:

GET NEW AIRBOX BOOTS TOO!

They're much softer. It's sooooo much easier to get the carbs in/out with new boots.

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 15:34 #18306

• Brad78Kz650
  • User
I see some pics with what looks like small pipes that go directly to a airfilter with no box is this a good idea? If so where can i get one?

Help with a part 17 Jan 2006 18:39 #18335

• GargantuChet
  • User
They're called pods. The general consensus is that they're not worth the effort.

As dgfischer has recently noted , cheaper ones are badly designed and can block secondary air passages on the sides of the carb throats. More expensive ones (notably K&N) don't block these passages, but still suffer from uneven air flow. Riders have reported ill effects from turbulent air flow at high speeds and trouble jetting the carbs correctly to suit the unpredictable air flow.

Search the forums if you'd like more opinion, and don't forget about the archives. Most consider them to be more trouble than they're worth.

• Page: