Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

stock airbox 08 Jan 2006 12:59 #16739

• wireman
  • wireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
well my carb hero has been doing some experimenting between stock airboxes and pod filters on z-bikes ,i hate to admit it but the stock boxes seem to work better up to 29mm carbs !when your rolling down the highway with seperate filters you can feel the motor loosing power when you get a good wind coming from the side but with the stock airbox its not noticable,i also noticed from any speed it was a lot more responsive!can you explain this wired george?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

stock airbox 08 Jan 2006 14:29 #16749

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
KD9JUR

stock airbox 08 Jan 2006 15:53 #16766

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1281
Hey wireman,
It's all about laminar (sp?) flow. If you could rig up the pods inside an air box you'd have the best of both worlds.
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

stock airbox 08 Jan 2006 16:58 #16775

• wireman
  • wireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
whats the world coming to!first they tell me my 8-track player is outdated,now i find out stock air boxes work better than k&ns,ive got to get to town more often,next thing you know theyll be putting radials on bikes!bwaha

stock airbox 10 Jan 2006 13:03 #17096

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I had velocity stacks on my drag bike and noticed it ran faster with side covers on than off. New crotch rockets put huge R&D into airboxes with ram air and all that stuff. I would expect an airbox with a minimal filter or even no filter would run the best. 70's era airboxes are not that scientific. More like used what space they had available.

stock airbox 15 Jan 2006 10:24 #18000

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
does anyone know how the stock air box with a single K&N air filter compares individual pods?

i just bought a kz1000 that has been rejetted for individual pods and a 4into1 exhaust. i'm thinking of reverting to the original air box with a single K&N filter, and wondering if some rejetting will be needed again.

this is the k&n filter
www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KA-8077

edit: just found this on the same site. guess it means some rejetting back towards stock might be required:

"Replacement Air Filters for Street Legal Motorcycles - K&N Replacement Air Filters are designed to fit right into the standard OEM motorcycle airbox. No modifications are required by the owner, no jet changes or adjustment of the carburetors is anticipated or suggested. Customer modification of the standard airbox - removing the cover, drilling holes into the side or top will have a drastic effect on smooth carburetion. Modifications will cause the stock system to run lean and reduce horsepower. Keep your motorcycle stock and the new K&N Replacement Element will be good for the life of the engine."

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/01/15 13:40

• Page: