• Page:

TOPIC:

Q for WG 02 Jan 2006 14:13 #15683

• Mark Whiddon
  • Mark Whiddon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey George,
I got some carbs rebuilt by you a month or so ago( maybe a little longer). VM28 with accel pump. They have been running a bit lean since I got them, in the idle through about 1/3 throttle range (most all my riding is at 60 mph and roughly about 1/3 throttle). they came back with 107.5 mains I tried turning the air screw in and that seems to be getting closer to where I need to be. I am currently about 1 turn out. It seemed to run a tad better at about 1/2 turn out(more responsive too), but there is a very annoying sucking/slurping noise coming from the carbs. my question is are the pilots for these carbs still available ? If so I am assuming you had the stock pilots put in my carb so I was wondering what pilot I should be looking for? This carb is on an 80 KZ750 H with pods and 2-1 drag pipes with baffles.
THanks Mark Whiddon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Q for WG 02 Jan 2006 17:29 #15728

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Be glad to help! Do you recall what pilot jets are in the bike? Could be that you could stand to go 1 size up AND reclip jet needles to raise them a slot. Those carbs ran just about smack on on my KZ900 test bike with pods/4 into 1 pipes.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Q for WG 02 Jan 2006 19:06 #15741

• Mark Whiddon
  • User
Hey George,
I did not happen to pull the pilots out to see what they were. I assumed you left what was in there and I also assume they were stock. I guess I will need to pull the carbs and look. I did pull the slide out to see if I could reclip the needle. You replaced the needles, but they are non adjustable. THe needles have a plastic washer on them so I thought I could slide another one up on it but ther is a small little BB shaped cast into the slide cap(the part that holds the needle in the base of the slide) I don't think there is enough room to add the washer without it locking the needle in the slide really tightly. Are the pilot jets easy to find or am I going to be up a creek trying to find them?

Q for WG 03 Jan 2006 06:19 #15790

• wiredgeorge
  • User
The pilot jets can be swapped without pulling the carbs from the bike. They are longer skinny jets next to the main jets. I have done a couple dozen sets of carbs since yours and can't recall what your jetting was. I may have written it in my records but you can easily remove the pilot jets using a small screwdriver. Of course, if you pull the carbs and flip them over, it is a lot easier. The problem with your carbs is that the jet needles are shorter than any of the other 5 series as I recall so there are few alternatives. If you have non-adjust jet needles, they can be shimmed but first swap pilot jets. Let me know what is in there and I will be happy to send the next larger set for a try.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Q for WG 04 Jan 2006 14:17 #16004

• Mark Whiddon
  • User
Hi George,
I pulled one off and the pilots are 17.5 . If you have some 20's you could swap with me that would be great. Otherwise I would have to order some from Z1 enterprizes (I am assuming the ones he has will fit-it says it fits most mikuni carbs). I can send back the ones that don't work or however you would like to do this. Thanks Mark

Q for WG 05 Jan 2006 06:48 #16094

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Drop me a note at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will send along some #20 pilot jets for you to try...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: