Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

broken air screw repair possible? 21 Dec 2005 04:26 #13909

• Cactus
  • Cactus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
A very Happy Christmas and New Year to all you krazy kwaker boys and girls:)

Anybody know if it's possible to repair a carb body or take out the tip of an airscrew broken off in the carb body (i've heard that it isn't) not that I did this, but i picked up some carbs as spares,

many thanks to you high tech geniuses out here:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

broken air screw repair possible? 21 Dec 2005 05:29 #13911

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
More info needed. Can you post a pic and explain what type carburetor you are talking about?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

broken air screw repair possible? 21 Dec 2005 17:13 #13990

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i have a pair of vm26's that i bottomed a fuel screw out in. had to push the tip out with a scribe. cleaned it up..but it never ran right after that. i had to ebay some spare carb bodies to fix it. i hope this helps.

broken air screw repair possible? 22 Dec 2005 08:21 #14059

• Cactus
  • Cactus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
This real ****** from ebayland sold me a set of 'excellent' condition Mik z650 slide carbs with all the (on the side) airscrew threads stripped and one of the tips is busted off in the hole and some idiot's tried to dig it out with a screwdriver or something, I tried blowing compressed air thro' the tiny hole on the left of the carb inlet mouth but nothing shifted, i'm trying to get the guy to refund me, so we'll see how it goes, i've had a few raw deals lately on ebay, but at worst i've got a good set of vacuum caps and float bowls etc. haha

broken air screw repair possible? 22 Dec 2005 11:15 #14078

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Wow! That is sort of surprising. In the past year, I have worked on about 150-200 sets of carburetors with air screws like on the VM carbs you have and have only had one or two strip. Usually it is because the head slot is already a bit gone and I get careless. If you use an Easy-out, you can sometimes back the old airscrew out but if the whole top part is gone, I can't really tell you that the old tip part could be drilled. It might but I wouldn't attempt it due to the time and effort not being worth a set of old carburetors. If this damage wasn't mentioned in the auction, the guy was being potentially being dishonest. If you paid with Paypal, I would find recourse with them after attempting to allow the seller to make the situation right. If you bought the things from on this side of the pond, the return shipping would probably make the whole effort a waste of time unless he told you to just keep the old and junk assembly. Sorry to hear of your problems at this time of the year. Tell the seller HO-HO-HO!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: