Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz400 pod jetting 15 Dec 2005 20:27 #13413

• lmahaj
  • lmahaj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I put emgo pods on my 1979 KZ400 H1 LTD. I switched the secondary main jet from 80 to 95, and everything else is the same. It still runs lean, and I have two questions:

1) I am confused of the nomenclature. According to the part diagram, the secondary mainjet sits directly below the jet needle/needle jet and the primary jet is the other main jet. I was told that the secondary main jet controls gas flow at wide open throttle, and the primary controls from above idle to 3/4 throttle. Intuitively doesn't work for me since the secondary seems to control flow to the needle jet, being that it sits directly underneath it.

2) Should I get a lerger secondary main jet, or should I try to find a bigger primary main jet. Would enjoy some advice on where to find it for this bike.

Thanks for the help!

Post edited by: lmahaj, at: 2005/12/15 23:28

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz400 pod jetting 16 Dec 2005 07:20 #13462

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The secondary main jet is really the main jet hehehe This was done to confuse the unwitting! In any case, you will be running mostly with the throttle wide open to run on the main jet. If you are lean, it likely is more in the mid range and at idle. Since you can't really find larger pilot jets (I think these are called slow jets) for the idle circuit, concentrate on finding larger main jets which are really what control fuel in the mid-range. Bump that main jet up about 1 or 2 sizes and you will probably like the results. I think perhaps www.z1enterprises.com might be able to get some bigger mains... I strongly suggest you call the owner and talk with him and explain the mains are the mid-range jets and the ones that are barrel shaped to avoid any confusion. Good luck.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

kz400 pod jetting 16 Dec 2005 07:57 #13474

• lmahaj
  • lmahaj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks wiredgeorge. Just to be sure, you kind of just started saying 'main' jets, but towards the end, you are talking about the primary main jets, correct? There is also a good site www.motorcyclecarbs.com that is based here in Atlanta. Thanks again...

• Page: