Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Appropriate size carb? 06 Dec 2005 05:52 #11979

• henrymski
  • henrymski's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey all, what do you think the best size and type of carb would be for a 1200cc plus big block street motor?
TIA, H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Appropriate size carb? 06 Dec 2005 11:41 #12028

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I have an 1170 with 36mm flatslide Mikunis and I'm very happy with the feel of the bike, throttle response etc.
I think 36mm would be too small for your engine, 38 or 40mm would probably be better. KZ Zone could advize you on this.

Appropriate size carb? 06 Dec 2005 12:45 #12040

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Weigh in what level of street motor you are talking about. If it has lower compression and non radical cam timing, then BS34 Mikuni carbs will provide enough gas... if you are a bit more radical, look for a bit larger... 36mm CV carbs would work as would 38mm. If you want to spend more money, racing carbs would be OK but the larger the carb, the harder it will be to tune the low end and keep the carb civilized.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Appropriate size carb? 07 Dec 2005 14:00 #12210

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
For a 1200cc motor I wouldn't go any smaller than 36mm. Even that might be a bit restrictive, responsive at part throttle openings maybe. 38mm or 40mm would work any larger would be ok for drag racing (maybe ?).Raceworks in Canada (only top fueler in Canada) is building my motor 1075cc 12:1 cr 425 lift cam and they thing 36mm would be just right for me, so go from there. I hate CV carbs (slow response) though they can be found a lot cheaper than flatslides.

Appropriate size carb? 18 Dec 2005 16:13 #13687

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
id say match it to the rest of your combination!compression,cams,head how heavy is your bike do you want to run this bike stoplight to stoplight,or is it going to be run wide open down the hiway for long distances?for a strictly streetbike id go for the smaller end of the scale maybe a set of wired george 33s breathed on a little,it would do you more good in the low-midrange where street bikes tend to run those big inch motors dont need to turn that high on a streetbike (how many guys really spend a lot of time at 10,000 with a big motor on the street??????)its a lot more fun to drive a big inch torque monster around town than a over cammed over carbed drag motor.id also stay away from the "pro stock" sized porting jobs and cams which are fine at high rpms for short sprints but they dont work really good on street bikes i went through the if 29s are good 36s are really good and if dave schultz(remember him?)uses it,it must be good stage when i was younger and i found out those old guys were right,it dont work the same on a streetbike!

Post edited by: wireguy, at: 2005/12/18 19:23

Appropriate size carb? 18 Dec 2005 19:34 #13703

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i thought id have incoming fire from the big cam,big carb crowd by now!(haha)was that the sound of a breach closing,uh oh!

• Page: