Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 22 Feb 2012 12:24 #505650

• ride-safe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
:) New to this type of web surfing,always before just looking.Could not stand it anymore have to throw my 2 cents.I currently race in ahrma,vintage superbike light and middle.sr500 yamaha and kz650.I will help if I can.Did not race in 2011 built a house racing and building don't go together.The kz is mostly stock,kz750 head,gpz cams,29mm carbs, zeypher swingarm.modern brakes,suspension,wheels,kerker.Bike is not fast enough to run with leaders.Turns like a battleship may have to much rake.Bought a clapped out spetre for ignition and electric tach.This bike came ebay 250.00,2010 placed 4th at dayton 2nd at vir.still has points,clutch cover has never been off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 22 Feb 2012 12:35 #505654

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Welcome! Thanks for posting! :)

What bikes pull away from you?

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 22 Feb 2012 12:39 #505655

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
If you don't mind, would you send me a private message with your email? I'll send you one with mine - I'd love to get in contact with you and discuss.

Thanks!

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 22 Feb 2012 12:47 #505657

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Hello, ride-safe, and WELCOME to KZr forum! :cheer:

We're glad you're here, and looking forward to your participation.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 22 Feb 2012 21:08 #505721

• ride-safe
  • User
to begin with the reason i built a KZ650 was because ahrma threaten to combine light wt and middle wt so i took a look at the middle wt. There's a racer in Columbus, Ohio that won the championship on a KZ650 and it is very fast! Our championships are won on the interstate not the track. At Daytona a racer from Calf. always wins on a Ducati, second GS650 Suzuki and bunch of GPZ 550.

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 22 Feb 2012 23:09 #505773

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Cool! My buddy who is going through this with me is doing a 1982 Honda Cb450 Hawk so he'll be in lightweight.

Why were they going to consolidate lt. and middle?

Can I ask what wheel/brake/tire combo you chose and what was involved in making it happen?

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 23 Feb 2012 14:28 #505928

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
hei welcome RS, not many road racers round here...

ever put it on a dyno?

some pics would be nice

italy, though not as big as the USA has also a distance problem, most people cant really do all races because of logisitcs. I am taking it race by race....

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 23 Feb 2012 14:33 #505930

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Yeah, I don't personally expect to make it to more than 1-3 races a year. 4 if I can really stretch the budget and vacation time.

I'm looking at the WERA vintage series as a secondary option to get some more track time in, but I'm not sure what the rules/regs differences will be.

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 24 Feb 2012 11:28 #506100

• ride-safe
  • User
Sorry for delay,procrastination is an art.Why do today what you can putoff forever.Class sizes at races,sometimes you may be the only bike,ahrma is always pressed for time.zx6e forks,by the rules 42mm,4.50x17 rear,3.50x17 front by the rules.Zephyr rear brake(disc),zx6e front rotors.1985 vn700 calipers(2)and master cylinder 2 piston by the rules.Lots of roadracers say they never use the rear brake.I use it not always but I use it.This bike will slow with no problem!At races in groups during practice riders brake early why I don't know,could be rider skill level,maybe fear factor my heart has been in my throat more than once.I'm an AMATEUR participated in a school to get my license,did'nt get much from that 250.00.Learned on my own and from a new found friend at the track.If other racers don't like your moves on the track they are quit to scold.I'm an old man on an old bike but I still like the thrill.

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 24 Feb 2012 11:54 #506107

• ride-safe
  • User
Hello from 1 hour south of Indianapolis In. USA Would love to ride your roads,History at ever corner.
No guard rails,Has to been fun.I had the bike on a dyno only thing done was a kerker and velocity stacks.This bike was in very good condition but had sat a long time mufflers were brown.Checked vavles set points and timing changed oil.At 8,400rpm 56.12hp,34.98torque.Working on pics.Far from computer science.

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 24 Feb 2012 12:22 #506108

• ride-safe
  • User
DoubleDub;gpz550's are fast and nimble 6 speed trans.Also a seca 650(shaftdrive)very impressive,a guzzi,honda,Harley sportster to 1050.Can be a fun class.Some bikes in all the superbike classes outward appearance have all the bells and whistles.I've over heard racers complain about kz650's .Looks like the boys brought the big motor today.Don't know.Would be easy.I think the kz650 can make enough hp legally and be competitive.Sometimes its in the right wrist and a huge amount to do with tires!

building ahrma middleweight superbike--need advice 24 Feb 2012 12:49 #506110

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

ride-safe wrote: DoubleDub;gpz550's are fast and nimble 6 speed trans.Also a seca 650(shaftdrive)very impressive,a guzzi,honda,Harley sportster to 1050.Can be a fun class.Some bikes in all the superbike classes outward appearance have all the bells and whistles.I've over heard racers complain about kz650's .Looks like the boys brought the big motor today.Don't know.Would be easy.I think the kz650 can make enough hp legally and be competitive.Sometimes its in the right wrist and a huge amount to do with tires!

Thanks - you had me a bit worried at first. I think I'll be at a disadvantage with tires at first as I don't plan to swap wheels right away. We'll see how it goes - looking at using the Avon AM18's to start out on the stock wheels. Just hoping to get out there right now. My "local" track is Road America which I assume is a power track (one of the largest on the schedule, I believe) - hopefully that will help me out.

I also have a Kz550 6 speed I'm hoping to swap into the Kz650 cases. We'll see how that goes - I've heard mixed results.

Last edit: by DoubleDub.