Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 19 Feb 2010 20:10 #349254

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
if you have the space and a little patience sometimes you can find a grocery store remodeling or going tits up lots of them use 60 gal compressors in back of store for their refrigiration and other things that can be had for a song,just make sure to get a single phase version. B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 19 Feb 2010 23:42 #349262

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
PLUMMEN wrote:

if you have the space and a little patience sometimes you can find a grocery store remodeling or going tits up lots of them use 60 gal compressors in back of store for their refrigiration and other things that can be had for a song,just make sure to get a single phase version. B)

+1
I'm not saying that you can't get it done with an oil-less, but consider the single stage 60 gal. compressor. I watched craigslist for about a month until I found my current compressor. Husky 60 gal single stage that needed a little work. I picked it up for $200. All I needed to do was properly connect the copper supply line from the compressor to the tank, connect the airline from the tank to the unloader valve doohicky, and wire it. Yeah its heavy and you need to have a 220 VAC plug, but it takes up no more floor space than a 30 gal. unit. I just ran my full size right angle die grinder WFO for one hour straight and my tank pressure never got below 100 psi. When I finally let off of the trigger, the compressor shut off in about one minute. I'm confident that I can paint, use a small sandblaster, and power all of my needed tools with this compressor. I figure an air compressor is about like a boat you'll rarely wish for a smaller one.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 20 Feb 2010 20:58 #349377

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
I wouldn't go with oilless. I have both. You do need an oil and water trap if painting with oiled compressor, but you still need at least a dessicant with oilless, so no big difference, imo.

Oilless compressors have al. piston, Nylon ring and al. cylinder. They do overheat, especially if you're doing heavy stuff like painting. And you don't have to get crazy with your usage, just get it a little hot once, and it starts taking longer to pump up, and soon your cylinder is scarred beyond recognition. They are easy to put cylinders and pistons in, at about 30 to 50 bucks a pop.

As far as oil type pumps go, the hf used to have cast iron cylinders, though now I think they're al. with cast sleeves. My experience is the hf is as good as campbell hausfeld for less money.

Puma makes a good cast iron pump and can usually be found in Tractor supply stores or Atwood's, Gebo's or the like.

My personal favorite has been My Grizzly. check it out at Grizzly.com

Mine is the 3 hp. 11 gal, but makes 11.3 scfm at 90 iirc.

Good luck!

P.S. I'd trade any of the above for a commercial I/R or such from a fire sale, like PLUMMEN suggested.
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 20 Feb 2010 22:00 #349384

• thompsonmx100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah if you plan on using this thing for tolls like DA's and die grinders it is best you get a 30+ gal. watch the cfm at 90psi that is the key. the more the better. harbor freight has some that are cheaper but they cant hang with constant use tools. I have a cheap little 13 gal I dont know what the cfm is on it but I cant run my die grinder for a minute without it dying.
2006 gs 500 streetfighter
1982 gpz750 breathed on wreck
1985 gpz750
Kz 650

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 21 Feb 2010 07:13 #349413

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
I bought a 35 gallon 4 hp 150psi compressor at the pawn shop for $120.00. Looked like brand new when I bought it and I use it for everything I even spray texture on my drywall sidejobs. Its your decision, think what you will be using it for and buy one. After all the longer you wait the longer your project will sit. Unless you use it everyday a cheaper one will do. You will also have to buy the air tools that you will be using and that can add up so make sure you budget for that. It would suck to spend everything on a bad ass compressor and have no money for the tools to make it work. my .02 cents
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 21 Feb 2010 08:40 #349441

• Gman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Some of you will laugh at this one and I myself had some reservations when I bought it. I've had it for over 5 yrs and I love it. Less than $100 at Walmart. 6 gal, 2hp, up to 120 psi. It does everything I need it to do. A little bit of painting, a little bit of power tools, etc. Light and small enough to throw in the trunk of the car if I need air someplace else. I figure it is a throw-away when it quits.
1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project
Attachments:

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 21 Feb 2010 13:16 #349483

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
I second JJDwoodman - I bought a craftsman 5 hp 30 gal oiless compressor when I was 17 to fix up my first car. It worked perfect until I asked it to WORK while sand blasting some parts and to begin priming parts. Then it quit starting on its own. I had to resort to using a string rapped around the cooling fan to "pull start" the compressor. After 3 months, the pull start method was the only way to get it going :angry: I wasn't smart enough to think to take it back, so I lived with it until I could afford a better compressor. I now have an Ingersol Rand SSL3 which has served me faithfully without any issues for over 6 years now. I'm not suggesting you spend the money on an IR compressor, but if you want your compressor purchase to last, I would suggest you consider a belt driven oiled lubed unit. They're tough, and like Plummen said, if you can find a deal on a used one, I bet it'll last longer than a new oiless compressor would ;)
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 22 Feb 2010 05:55 #349601

• chance
  • User
  • Life long biker/
badrhino wrote:

Ok, thanks guys. I had just heard that some compressors won't have enough cfm to spray paint with. I have a feeling a $249 craftsman would be fine but I've heard some good and bad reviews about them. I would also think a harbor freight unit might do the trick and foe even less.

If you are just doing small things like bikes this will do great.. Small sanding jobs and small paint jobs.. They do put out lots of water so water traps as others suggested. But if you'er planing on painting a car or a big sanding jobs useing a DA sander FORGET it... It will work for air tools ..And has Someone else suggested Creigs list turns up some nice compressors for that $200 -$249..:)

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 23 Feb 2010 22:07 #349886

• badrhino
  • badrhino's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I think I found a guy locally that is wanting to sell me a 30 gallon oiled craftsman compressor for $150.:laugh:
1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 24 Feb 2010 17:10 #349980

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
That's the kind of deal you're looking for. Do try to find out the cfm of the pump. The tank size doesn't matter as much as pump size.
Also listen to it run. Especially look for any oil leakage. The pump shouldn't have to struggle to build up to the shut off pressure. It should more or less build steadily, losing just a little speed at higher pressure. If pressure builds significantly slower at high pressure, you'll be looking at a rebuild shortly.

Again, good luck and post pics.
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 24 Feb 2010 18:06 #349984

• sabell
  • User
This one will give you all the air you need and everyone on your block.

denver.craigslist.org/tls/1614993629.html

Might as well pick-up this beast while ur at it.

denver.craigslist.org/tls/1614989032.html
'78 KZ1000A2
'79 650SR

Best Air Compressor for Garage Use?!?!? 24 Feb 2010 20:20 #349996

• badrhino
  • badrhino's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Whoooooo, I don't think I need that much pressure. lol
Could you imagine the noise that these things would make.
1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!