Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oil out exhaust 04 Dec 2006 18:38 #97475

• agawam
  • agawam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
OK I finally got the wireing straitened out and got the bike to fire again(long story) so its running about three minutes and I notice oil comming from the front of engine and find its comming out the exhaust port only a little on 2,3 &4 but no 1 is really pouring, I know I need gaskets in there but its a project bike and far from done, it also is not real loud like it was before, I had to leave so I really didn't get a chance to investigate, so I'm thinking maybe stuck rings or real bad valve guides but probably something stupid, it ran super last time needed carb work but ran good, this is not burnt oil but raw oil being pushed out the port, before I get back to it anybody got any ideas

Post edited by: agawam, at: 2006/12/04 21:38

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil out exhaust 04 Dec 2006 18:52 #97477

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
check compression on #1
if zero, have a look at #1 piston crown as it's the easiest next step.

oil out exhaust 04 Dec 2006 19:04 #97480

• agawam
  • User
first thing will be comp check, this engine runs real smooth, all cylinders seem to be running evenly and the oil isn't running out the pipe just around the port and its not smoking out the pipe, like the oil is going into the exhaust port and not the cylinder, the oil comming out is real clean, maybe a failed valve seal ? or guide 23&4 have some oil comming out also but not like #1

oil out exhaust 04 Dec 2006 19:43 #97496

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
Well, if the oil is getting past the valve guides it would end up in the combustion chamber and get burned which would produce a LOT of smoke.

If the piston crown was missing (like Duck suggested) there would be NO compression.

So, its got to be a gasket problem...I think:S

Bob

oil out exhaust 05 Dec 2006 06:17 #97555

• KB02
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree Bob (bob's tend to think alike anyway ;) ) Definatly check the valve cover seal. I have the same thing wrong with my 550. I need to replace that seal since it leaks right down onto the headers. If it was valve guides or seals, it would be getting burnt off in the chamber and smoking out the pipes.

-Bob

oil out exhaust 05 Dec 2006 10:03 #97600

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
agawam wrote:

... so its running about three minutes and I notice oil comming from the front of engine and find its comming out the exhaust port only a little on 2,3 &4 but no 1 is really pouring, I know I need gaskets in there ... this is not burnt oil but raw oil being pushed out the port

Was the three minute run done "on the side stand or center stand" or on the road where windage spreads the oil around? Likely you've tried this already toward determining source of the oil leak, but throughly clean (gunk and hose) the engine front and top area especially around the valve cover gasket, cam end plugs, and tach drive. Allow to get really dry (use fan or compressed air). When dry -- may dust with baby powder -- then crank and allow to run at idle (or high idle) on the side or center stand while sitting down in front of the bike with a flashlight carefully and repeatedly scanning the suspect areas (valve cover gasket, cam end plugs, tack drive, and exhaust port nuts and clamps) while the engine temp rises to operating level (use a fan if nervous about engine temp) until seeing seepage or glissening against the clean flat background. If the nuts holding the exhaust port clamps in place get damp with oil, without sign of leakage elsewhere, perhaps fresh copper crush gaskets are due (even thought is looks like "raw" oil -- this from personal experience).

Hope your fix is something simple.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

oil out exhaust 05 Dec 2006 17:49 #97690

• agawam
  • User
chapter two, I ran a compression check read out at a 120 accross the board, I cleaned the plugs, there was no oil on them, refired the bike for the first two or three minutes no leak till it warmed up, then it started,ubove the pipe and to inboard, right at the exhaust stud. Next I pulled the exhaust off, ports were dry, refired it without the pipes, here comes the oil,looks like its comming out the exhaust stud, pull the stud,refire, no oil from stud hole but all around it,pull the cam cover,no oil in the tray above the leak,pulled the head,close inspection shows nothing, cean it good get a magnifying glass and look, still nothing, but I suspect a cracked head, tomorrow its off to the machine shop, shame its a 700 engine and the head looks like a small 650 chamber with 750 valves, maybe it can be saved

Post edited by: agawam, at: 2006/12/05 20:50

oil out exhaust 06 Dec 2006 06:31 #97782

• rammy
  • User
There is an oil galley that runs behind the studs to supply the cam bearings.Sounds to me someone chased out the stud holes at one point and went to far with a tap and got into the oil galley.Remove the stud clean out the hole extensively with brake cleaner or carb cleaner apply some blue loctite to stud and reinstall.Let it set up over night to cure.It will save you from pulling the motor apart and cure your leak.That is all a machine shop will do.Good Luck
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

oil out exhaust 06 Dec 2006 06:46 #97792

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
could be aluminium porosity it is common on older castings

oil just comes through the metal

but the tap cut is very possible.

silicone glue in the threaded bore may be the ticket

• Page: