Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wierd noise and no power 02 Dec 2006 21:21 #96944

• minutiesabotage
  • minutiesabotage's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, I know trying to figure out what a strange noise is over the internet is tough, so please don't post if thats all you have to say.

Sorry, had to get that outa the way.

Here's the deal, I finally got my kz1000 up and running fairly smoothly, and went to take a test ride to test out the transmission. As I was engaging the clutch the engine had almost zero power, at near half throttle it would still die on me. I know the timing chain being worn can cause a "lethargic" engine, but to that degree? Compression is 140 psi +- 10 on all four.

Part two, there was a strange sound coming from the left side of the engine. To describe as best as possible: if you've ever noticed a slight click right as the starter engages, as everything meshes, keep that sound in your head. Now imagine it louder, but every 15-20 seconds as the engine is running.

Only thing I can think of is that little starter gear is sliding on and off its axis and remeshing with the crank gear. Any other ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wierd noise and no power 03 Dec 2006 04:49 #96977

• KB02
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Two thoughts:
#1.) Do you notice this sound when the bike standing up straight, or leaned over to one side or the other, or both? I have an Old Honda that, when I got it, one of the gears in the tranny was not locked in place properly from the last person who had the engine apart. Thus when it stood straight, everything was fine, but tilt it over to the right and it sounded like it was going to explode.

#2.) How are your carbs? Have they been syncronized lately? Are you sure all four cylinders are firing?

Wierd noise and no power 03 Dec 2006 17:51 #97168

• minutiesabotage
  • User
I actually didnt notice it until I literally sat down with the bike standing up.

As for the carbs, they have not been synched recently, but the idle is smooth, so it should not require that much throttle to get going. I did not actually touch each header, but all four plugs are sparking, and the idle was smooth enough that I didnt even think of one of the cylinders not firing.

As for tranny, I really hope thats not it, but as far as I know, the engine has never even been off the bike.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Wierd noise and no power 03 Dec 2006 20:08 #97202

• wireman
  • Visitor
id say pull your stator cover off if thats the general area the nose is coming from.hopefully its not the bolt in the end of crank that holds the alternator on or one of the screws from stator bouncing around in there!:S

Wierd noise and no power 03 Dec 2006 21:18 #97246

• minutiesabotage
  • User
I hate taking that thing off, its a pain getting it to seal up again, that rubber seal that holds the wires leaks like a motherf****r.

Wierd noise and no power 03 Dec 2006 21:41 #97257

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
minutiesabotage wrote:

I hate taking that thing off, its a pain getting it to seal up again, that rubber seal that holds the wires leaks like a motherf****r.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=373

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/12/04 00:41
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Wierd noise and no power 03 Dec 2006 22:06 #97264

• DanVVArider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
"Hopefully it's not the bolt in the end of crank that holds the alternator on or one of the screws from stator bouncing around in there."

This was my first guess, too, though when I read the title, "Weird noise and no power," I thought it was another gasng-up-on-arai59 thread...

Stand the bike up with the engine off, in a quiet-as-possible environment (like a shed, shop, or garage), and shake the bike side-to-side, then front-to-back. If it's the crank-end bolt, you might be able to hear it rattling. Better than pulling it off when you have doubts.
"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

Wierd noise and no power 04 Dec 2006 04:53 #97300

• KB02
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
minutiesabotage wrote:

As for the carbs, they have not been synched recently, but the idle is smooth, so it should not require that much throttle to get going. I did not actually touch each header, but all four plugs are sparking, and the idle was smooth enough that I didnt even think of one of the cylinders not firing.

Check the headers. Just to be on the safe side. My bike sounded like it was running fine, too, but I only had three out of four running (this is when I was half way through my problems).

Wierd noise and no power 04 Dec 2006 05:04 #97302

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
minutiesabotage wrote:

Here's the deal, I finally got my kz1000 up and running fairly smoothly, and went to take a test ride to test out the transmission. As I was engaging the clutch the engine had almost zero power, at near half throttle it would still die on me.

You didn't say how it runs/sounds when you run it up in neutral. Is that problem and noise occurring then or not? By the way you mentioned it, it sounds like it only showed up under load. It makes a big difference as to the likeliness of what it is based on the way it behaves under no load.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Wierd noise and no power 04 Dec 2006 06:04 #97311

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
just a little thing . To prevent getting burnt on a hot header instead of touching it, use a little spray bottle and some water.;)
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Wierd noise and no power 04 Dec 2006 10:08 #97353

• minutiesabotage
  • User
It happens when the bike is in neutral and in gear. I notice it more when the I rev it up however.

As for power, I know that all four plugs are firing, and I just cleaned the carbs, so it is unlikely that one cylinder is not firing.

Patton you are my hero, I have been looking everywhere for that thing. It didnt come up on engine cover or alternator searches.

Post edited by: minutiesabotage, at: 2006/12/04 13:11

Wierd noise and no power 04 Dec 2006 11:21 #97375

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Any pop back (lean) or smoke (rich)?

With the noise you're hearing, assuming it isn't a pre-ignition ping, I'd pop the top cover and inspect the chain, etc. Check the valves to be sure they are set right too, they may not be opening enough.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

• Page: