Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyno runs 02 Nov 2006 16:52 #89412

• STINARKZ1K
  • STINARKZ1K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey every1, just thought I'd let you know about a few dyno runs made today.. Bike is a stock 77 KZ1000LTD. I think the exhaust is stock, it's a 4 into 1 though, so I dont know. I did the runs at school(I go to MMI). I wish I coulda printed the graphs, but they have no printer in there.. Results were between 70-74.9 horsepower at 7300 rpm.(3 pulls) Good tq(about 60 ft lbs) across the board for the most part, starting about 3000rpm. Seems to be running out of breath after 7300 rpm though, cause it only had about 65 hp at 9000. I dont know if this was a lean condition or what, and I've yet to pull the new plugs out. Just thought I'd let you guys know, I was DEFINATLEY impressed with the results today!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyno runs 02 Nov 2006 17:20 #89419

• wireman
  • Visitor
cool,its probabably the small stock cams and points ignition giving up after 7000;)

Dyno runs 02 Nov 2006 17:26 #89422

• STINARKZ1K
  • STINARKZ1K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
You suppose the ignition mod would help?? I'm going to dyno again with a new chain in a few weeks too, and see if that makes much difference.

Dyno runs 02 Nov 2006 17:32 #89424

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
About the same numbers I got off of my bie when it was stock except for 4 into 1 header. It is an 80 KZ1000. I have the print out. I should scan a copy some time. It made 75hp but don't remember what the rpm's were. They did not do a torque reading. It has since had many mods done but I have not made another dyno run wth it.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Dyno runs 03 Nov 2006 01:02 #89476

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
You can work out your own torque figure if you have the hp chart.

Torque = (HP x 5252)/rpm

This is what the dyno does in reverse anyway, as dynos measure torque (rotary force) and convert it into hp (linear force) using the above equation to produce a power graph.

If you are using a Dynojet dyno you can ask the guy for the run file on disk (or ask him to email it to you) and download "Runviewer" software from dynojet.com then play with the graphs all you like.
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Dyno runs 03 Nov 2006 01:20 #89478

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm hoping to get mine on the dyno this weekend. I have the Dyna ignition and coil mod upgrade. If I get it done I'll post up the numbers.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Dyno runs 03 Nov 2006 15:52 #89584

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
The stock VM26 carbs limit the top end versus VM28 or VM29's.

Ron

Dyno runs 04 Nov 2006 07:45 #89629

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I put a 1015 kit in my 76 900 and.. before that i ran 112 then 115 jets. Then i put 120's in and took it for a ride. Good torque and lift the front end up in first and it was fun and all but i got onto the freeway, hit it hard and it didn't pull hard. It seemed to fight itself at the top end too. I backed off the timing and that let it run much smoother but still no hard pull, (26mm carbs and i ported the head). Compression was 150- 180, (then 180 once i set the tight valves at .001, back to between .004 and .009. I took a brass screw, cut 4 small hockey pucks from the shank with a hack saw and trimmed them on the bench grinder till square. I drilled them with a 1/64 drill bit and soldered them onto the ends of the needle jets. I counter sunk around the holes with a bit larger than the holes i'd drilled to pretend to be fancy. I hit the interstate and dropped to third at 60 and gassed alittle, wow strong. 70, 80, 85, and wham she took off like a rocket. Now i'm in. A guide I drove out backward popped out and the head was ruined so i bought one on ebay for 230. I had the seats cut and i put new guides in and ported the everlivin out of it. That was alot of work and energy ober three weeks of grinding away. I needed valves, the stainless that came with it were shot, no margins. They sure were light though. I got some valves from a corner of kz parts at the savage in Fargo here and he had two heads in the corner. I took one home to take out the valves and all the exhaust were bent. I brought it back and told him and he had the other one and let me take that head home. I gathered up the parts and since he owed me a favor he let me have some rollers. I found a shitty, loose top roller and he said the bike it was ffrom had 60k on it. I dug deeper and found a real new one. And i chose between 4 diff. idler rollers too and found good ones (mine were falling apart). I gathered up the stuff in a pile and took one last look in that corner and saw a bare head no valves with cams setting on top. I noticed the lobes were longer and suddenly it came together. The head that had the bent valves was the one the cam came from and the rollers. The rest of the motor was there, it was a 1000cc. I grabbed the cams and asked if i could have them. They were made in usa and they measured .407. Like new. I already had ape springs in my head and played around clearancing the ported head for .410 cams i hadn't bought yet. The cams had stock sprockets on them and had been slotted. Someone had them bolted on way to one end of the slot. I had actually bought ape sprockets already too so i put those on. I was short two valves and bought vesrah from dennis kirk. All the guide work went well and the lapping and I put it all together. I degreed the cams by starting in the middle of the slots and at 109deg the intake was center of highest lift. Instead of using a dial, i sribed a line inside the lifter bore at the top of the bucket then turned the crank while watching the alighnment of the mark id scribed and the top of the bucket for movement. When i saw the buket just start to move i stopped and looked at the wheel. I then lined up the mark to the bucket again and turned the crank backward until i seen the bucket move and looked again at the wheel to make sure it was the same number of degrees. This was proving to me that I was indeed on the center of the cam lobe, highest lift and also that the center was 109 cranshaft deg atdc. I did the same thing with the exhaust cam, but used 111 on that one. Everything seemed right. The position of the cams etc. I used solder and found i had 75thou clearance on exhaust and much more on intake so heck? I made a manual tensioner and it worked well. I had 10grand on the 1015cc pistons and rings and had cross hatched the cylinders with sandpaper and my bare hand as a dowel. It looked exactly like a hone had been used. So i knew the rings would be just fine. I never measured the bores, i didnt want to know, they bored them crooked anyway, 100 bucks at an auto shop. But oh well, as long as the cylinders didnt split on me and they hadn't for many miles. Well i set point timing like i had always, darn near a quarter inch back from the fire mark. I dont know why but since the kit, it was way too advanced any where near the fire mark and would vibrate at the top end. I started it, drove it, man did it go. I put 28mm carbs on, just transferred the needle jet assembly's over. It didn't run right so i moved the clips down one and she came alive. Not quite so responsive as the 26's but i could'nt complain. Yeah I guess i got a little more on top but wished for a bigger gain than that. When i got them tuned they worked very good and at the time my spark was weaker from a down charging system. The coil mod i had done in the past really made a difference but wanned away. I thought it was my coils but it was the voltage drop from having a dead cell batt in there without any charging at all going on. Found that out when i bought a small batt. from walmart. That alone brought it back to life in a very impressive manner. But even with the old batt. in place, on a cold day the 28's were something to recon with. 50 deg or so and the top end pull was very strong. Talk about eating up a mile starting at 85,90 in third and wot. My god that thing would pull. Man you could see me coming. Pretty fast. I kid you not ill bet i could hang with a z10 for quite a ways and im 250lbs. Dont ask me how but its true. I raced around with a brand new one before the cams and head and i gotta tell yuh, it was darn good time an the result was one heck of an insperational punch. I was within reach. I knew it and i needed more power. And i got it. And im happy. I beat a cbr 600 and wasnt in tune. Hell with a screw driver i could have tuned him out in 2min. Ignition timing. Three summers and i turned the whole erea for miles around me into one big dyno. Lots of fun. That thing just wants to run run run. In my estimates, i could put dyna coils on and a 120lb rider and id bet money that on a third gear roll starting at 88mph, he could hand side by side next to a zx10 till maybe 125 or so. Just a stock one no mapping and such. Its almost like this thing is alive, if i paint it and clean it runs better. How the heck does that work? I guess i dont care to know, cause it doesnt matter. Ill be forevor impressed. I do have to make sure everything is right cuz it is a heavy bike but when every horse has had its oats, look out. Now its just come down to ignition timing carb set, air temp and rider weight. And add a few driving tricks like darn near cheating at the start to get that weight moving and you got your hands full. Or rather, someone else does. I hate to write so much like this and take up space, but im mesmorized at the result. Thinking back its been alot of stufff and alot of tuning. And if its a wonder how i avoided the police. I was always so worried id get stopped and the experimenting would end abrupty. Incomplete story, sorry game over. Well that aint no good so i watched very closely, always. I had to. Im glad its over and the bike sits in the shed like a sleeping giant or monster or whatever, and that drivers license is looking like a big pot roast to a starved man. Oh yes. I want to run in traffic. I know how to behave, I know all the tricks... and i know how respect for danger, people, and law is the key to the religion. Lose one lose all. Now all i need is a diet plan and some good riding leathers. And a whole lot of stuff replaced on that bike that i never bought. Its barely got a seat on it. But thats ok.

Dyno runs 07 Nov 2006 19:52 #90383

• KL250
  • User
geebus........Your results sound about right though, my lil 250 which is a 1/4 of a 1000 runs out of steam at about 7000 as well, and it also has a 26mm keihin. It currently has a ported head and that really helped the topend. These results are from my home built chassis dyno. Yes I know power and torque don't cross at 5252 like they are suposed to, I am having difficulties with the engine rpm sensor. Where is says 9100 is really 8300ish.....my dyno syas that it makes about 18, and 18 times 4 is 72, so the numbers are pretty good I would say.

Post edited by: KL250, at: 2006/11/07 22:58
Attachments:

Dyno runs 07 Nov 2006 20:13 #90391

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
nads.com, I wish you lived near here, I believe you and I would get along great!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
KD9JUR

• Page: