Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 12:41 #89117

• 77KZ650
  • 77KZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Saw these used 1394 wiseco pistons on ebay. is drilling holes in pistons like these a good idea? and is it worth the effort if it goes right?
thx
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 13:02 #89122

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Was wondering about this myself remembering Vance and Hines did it many a year ago on there early pro stockers.

While were on this subject how about piston porting for the top ring to seal better also?

Mainly on the street usage for me with a blast through the quarter several times a month.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 13:59 #89136

• 77KZ650
  • 77KZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
KZB2 650 wrote:

Was wondering about this myself remembering Vance and Hines did it many a year ago on there early pro stockers.

While were on this subject how about piston porting for the top ring to seal better also?

gas porting? holes from top of piston to behind the top ring. uses the pressure from inside the combustion chamber to force the ring against the cylinder wall
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 16:49 #89184

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
gas porting, been there done that, dont think its the way to go, I would be scared about putting a hole in a skirt like that, seems like it would open up a chance of skirt failure to me
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 18:50 #89207

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I've seen that done before, even cut skirt off the piston(leave very little of skirt left). Holes don't look big enough to hurt and spacing looks like it would be ok. I would be concerned if holes were bigger or there wasn't much space between the holes. I believe they call them Pro-Lites by Wiseco, but I could be wrong. R.C. Engineering used to drill holes in valve buckets the same way to lighten them.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 18:51 #89208

• wireman
  • Visitor
heres a set of gas ported pistons,cant tell really good from picture:whistle: sawwy .we used to cut the windows in our dirtbike pistons to lighten them up but ive never tried it on a kz piston and would rather not try since there is a lot more to lose if something goes wrong!:evil: :P
Attachments:

drilled/lightened pistons? 01 Nov 2006 19:08 #89210

• geerbangr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I've never saw cut pistons like that. Gas porting is a good way to go if you're running loads of compression,keeps top ring sealed tight.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

drilled/lightened pistons? 02 Nov 2006 05:54 #89288

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
look at this full size. The gas ports are visible around the outside of the crown.

The skirts are pretty thin anyway. I can't see much weight savings from the holes. Thinking on it, I don't know if they would hurt or help oiling. Less surface(skirt-bore interface) means more pressure but more oil means less surface is needed.

Seller's photos are not good enough to tell if the skirts are scuffed/galled. If they are used and skirts are nice, then it's pretty clear that the holes don't hurt :-) If considering purchase, I would want some much better photos prior to submitting a bid.

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/11/02 08:58

drilled/lightened pistons? 02 Nov 2006 12:14 #89356

• Jack
  • User
Gas ported pistons are typically used for drag racing applications only ,general rule is an et pick up of up to 1/10th. sec but it does wear out rings faster as they are pushed out to cylinder wall by the pressure.

I remember the RC pistons with holes cut in the skirts.If it worked that well Byron would still be doing it and I have not seen a set of those type of pistons in many years.

Wiseco Prolites are actually slipper pistons- very small skirts.It's a way to keep big pistons lighter but they do wear out cylinders more quickly than full skirt type due to piston rocking in the bore.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

drilled/lightened pistons? 02 Nov 2006 15:30 #89397

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
You may want to check prices on a kit before bidding.since it will cost more per item when buying a set of jugs ,wrist pins, rings,head gasket.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

drilled/lightened pistons? 02 Nov 2006 16:41 #89410

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
KZ engine family has a rather long piston skirt when compared to the slipper type pistons in modern bikes.

Keep in mind that if you cut the skirt down that not all piston to cylinder clearances are measured in the same spot on all pistons.

Gas porting is definitely a plus for ring seal. Head over to www.rehermorrison.com/ , Tech Talk and read the article on Gas porting along with other tips from some of the best in the business.

drilled/lightened pistons? 07 Nov 2006 12:25 #90270

• Jack
  • User
larrycavan wrote:

KZ engine family has a rather long piston skirt when compared to the slipper type pistons in modern bikes.

Keep in mind that if you cut the skirt down that not all piston to cylinder clearances are measured in the same spot on all pistons.

Gas porting is definitely a plus for ring seal. Head over to www.rehermorrison.com/ , Tech Talk and read the article on Gas porting along with other tips from some of the best in the business.

OK,I take it back - If David Reher says gas porting is good and no accelerated ring wear,that's more than good enough for me.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• Page: