Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Thinkin' APE 01 Nov 2006 09:29 #89070

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
anyone can BUY a faster bike. BUILDING one is a COMPLETELY different level of self accomplishment:) and as far as handling goes, put the sport bike suspension on it and be right there with the new bikes in the twisties...
just my 2 cents (CAD at that:laugh: )
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thinkin' APE 01 Nov 2006 10:54 #89087

• wireman
  • Visitor
racer54 wrote:

Yea, it would probably be easier to just go out and buy a 'Busa or a ZX12 or whatever poison you choose. BUT...sometimes, it's not about having the latest or greatest bike out of J.A.Pan & Company. Sometimes it's the challenge of building a better beast...sometimes it's knowing when you're done, YOU did it! Sometimes it's just being different. Myself, I just like the lines of a Z1/KZ. The way it seems to flow. Personally, I like to see the motor-the way it should be. My opinion, once you buy a new sportbike, you just bought a belly-button bike..everybody has one. You don't see alot of Z's around much anymore and especially one that has been updated, built stronger, painted different and made with the owners personal touches. It stands out from the crowd. AND these kids with their new mega-horsepowered bikes look down on Z's as has beens...until one of us shows them that old Z's don't die, they just get faster. Besides, they ooze character. Guess it boils down to personal choice, but I'll take a built Z and live with the old-tech. I'd rather spend money on my Z and make it faster and smoother then buy a newer sportbike, although it would be easier to buy new. Can't think of too many bikes out there that look better, smoother, has more character than a Z1/KZ. But...that's just my opinion.

thats sounds familiar!:P i could buy a zx14 and probably be money ahead on my current project.but it would look just like every other zx14 out there and the 1st time somebody pulled up along on one just like it id really be pissed off,so ill just stick with my old tech,over powered ,under suspended but looks differant than everybody elses cookie cutter production bikes cruise missiles!:evil: :whistle: ;)

Thinkin' APE 01 Nov 2006 11:17 #89099

• wireman
  • Visitor
racer54 wrote:

Yea, it would probably be easier to just go out and buy a 'Busa or a ZX12 or whatever poison you choose. BUT...sometimes, it's not about having the latest or greatest bike out of J.A.Pan & Company. Sometimes it's the challenge of building a better beast...sometimes it's knowing when you're done, YOU did it! Sometimes it's just being different. Myself, I just like the lines of a Z1/KZ. The way it seems to flow. Personally, I like to see the motor-the way it should be. My opinion, once you buy a new sportbike, you just bought a belly-button bike..everybody has one. You don't see alot of Z's around much anymore and especially one that has been updated, built stronger, painted different and made with the owners personal touches. It stands out from the crowd. AND these kids with their new mega-horsepowered bikes look down on Z's as has beens...until one of us shows them that old Z's don't die, they just get faster. Besides, they ooze character. Guess it boils down to personal choice, but I'll take a built Z and live with the old-tech. I'd rather spend money on my Z and make it faster and smoother then buy a newer sportbike, although it would be easier to buy new. Can't think of too many bikes out there that look better, smoother, has more character than a Z1/KZ. But...that's just my opinion.

thats right :P
Attachments:

Thinkin' APE 01 Nov 2006 11:36 #89106

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
racer54 wrote:

I like that comment from true KZ guys...You know like corvette guys:pinch:

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 06:56 #89306

• austin3119
  • User
I'm getting preety close on my project bike. I'm basically down to the engine, some re-chroming and powdercoating. I take it back, there's still a ton I'm going to do (swingarm conversion, new 4.25 wheel, 160 tire, rear disc conversion etc etc etc etc......

If you want to go newer, I've listed the best option in my opinion. It's a Kaw, it's retro, it's fast as all get up, the price is right, and it's sweeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt. It could probably be had for $5000.00 and it's basically new. Link below.

phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/219098012.html

:cheer:

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 16:19 #89407

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i like you thinking racer. it is on the same idea as my boss being one of the first on the list for a new challenger. i got a 71 amc 401 sst javelin in storage i'm slowly restoring with my uncle. why a amc? when is the last time you saw one? anyone can buy a cookie cutter. it takes talent and love to build you own love. then you can hold your head high when people ask who built it and your answer is ...me!
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 16:40 #89409

• CruisingRam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I don't know about you guys- but I can build a bike that makes more HP than a busa does stock, and handles just as well, for cheaper than I can buy a busa up here.

I have a full 1428cc wiseco block, High compression pistons, and am continueing to scrounge hi-zoot power pieces for a KZ.

A Busa up here goes for about 12k

I can build a frame for about 150 bucks, about 3-400 off e-bay for Gixxer forks, about 1K for the rear swing arm, rims, brakes, everything, kick ass shocks, the whole bit- so I have gixxer parts, for, lets go crazy, say 2k, Chrome moly Ducati style trellis frame, for about 150 bucks, lets say, oh, I spend 3k more on the motor and tranny I have now, just because I want the highest Hp stuff- I am still JUST creeping up on the halfway mark to the Busa money- or ZX14 money.

If you are a real hot rodder, and do it right, in cars or bikes, you can beat the best of what the factories have to offer, no problem, for less money- why? Because you don't have to jump through regulatory hurdles to make your purpose built car or bike.

Let's take a look at cars- the most exotic and baddest by most thinking- say- oh, and F1 Mclaren. I could build a car to kick that cars ass- I just sit down with the race car chassis book and a pile of money, oh, lets say, 150k, one tenth of the cost of that Mclaren- I could pour 40k into a twin turbo all aluminum 528ci hemi EFI and with a rotating mass of a small block- so it will scream right into the 12k rpm range. Tremec Six speed, all in a full on Can Am style chassis, with a kit car body- probably the Ultima, since it is where the MClaren gets it's shape from or vice versa- and viola'- I have a 200mph super car that does nines and idles like a new car. Even I go to 200k, the Mclaren is still 5 times more expensive.

I think one bike that messes up that formula is M/V Augusta- you have a full on race bike, right out of the box. 190mph, and handles like a motogp bike. That bike you can get for 20k, and you are ready to race or hit the salt flats.
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 17:00 #89414

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
CruisingRam wrote:

I don't know about you guys- but I can build a bike that makes more HP than a busa does stock, and handles just as well, for cheaper than I can buy a busa up here.

I have a full 1428cc wiseco block, High compression pistons, and am continueing to scrounge hi-zoot power pieces for a KZ.

A Busa up here goes for about 12k

I can build a frame for about 150 bucks, about 3-400 off e-bay for Gixxer forks, about 1K for the rear swing arm, rims, brakes, everything, kick ass shocks, the whole bit- so I have gixxer parts, for, lets go crazy, say 2k, Chrome moly Ducati style trellis frame, for about 150 bucks, lets say, oh, I spend 3k more on the motor and tranny I have now, just because I want the highest Hp stuff- I am still JUST creeping up on the halfway mark to the Busa money- or ZX14 money.

If you are a real hot rodder, and do it right, in cars or bikes, you can beat the best of what the factories have to offer, no problem, for less money- why? Because you don't have to jump through regulatory hurdles to make your purpose built car or bike.

Let's take a look at cars- the most exotic and baddest by most thinking- say- oh, and F1 Mclaren. I could build a car to kick that cars ass- I just sit down with the race car chassis book and a pile of money, oh, lets say, 150k, one tenth of the cost of that Mclaren- I could pour 40k into a twin turbo all aluminum 528ci hemi EFI and with a rotating mass of a small block- so it will scream right into the 12k rpm range. Tremec Six speed, all in a full on Can Am style chassis, with a kit car body- probably the Ultima, since it is where the MClaren gets it's shape from or vice versa- and viola'- I have a 200mph super car that does nines and idles like a new car. Even I go to 200k, the Mclaren is still 5 times more expensive.

I think one bike that messes up that formula is M/V Augusta- you have a full on race bike, right out of the box. 190mph, and handles like a motogp bike. That bike you can get for 20k, and you are ready to race or hit the salt flats.

How high of compression andis that streetible:whistle:

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 17:28 #89423

• wireman
  • Visitor
.com,im suggesting a joint operation between the 2 of course:evil: :whistle: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/11/02 20:30
Attachments:

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 21:14 #89466

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
kz-mtd wrote:

The guys at APE said that a 1327 10:25:1,435 cams is a good street set-up:huh: Do any of you BIG BLOCK KZ guys think that is a good thing:unsure:

It's a very good thing! B)

Ron

Thinkin' APE 02 Nov 2006 22:36 #89474

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Id like to ride some wheelies on your green machine Ron. looks comfortable

Thinkin' APE 03 Nov 2006 05:08 #89486

• btchalice
  • User
where is ape jay during this conversation
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.