Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Idle gets high. 10 Oct 2006 18:09 #83333

• pumps
  • pumps's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
A few days ago I went out for a ride. Rode on the hiways , city streets etc. When I got off the hiway on the way home I noticed the engine wouldn't idle down. The rpms stayed up around 3500. It went down just a little as I sat at a light but not much. I worked the throttle to see if it had stuck but it didn't seem it was. When I got home which was like a mile or so I put it on the sidestand and squatted down to look at the cable, revved it up a bit , looked at linkages or whatever but it seemed it was returning as it should. At least to my novice eyes. What's going on? Later it started normally after it was cool.It did this once before.

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/10/10 21:10

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/10/10 21:11
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Idle gets high. 10 Oct 2006 18:23 #83340

• EsaPro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
That is happening to me, during what I call the "mid hot" phase of a ride - not cold, and not really hot. Maybe 10 minutes in? (My ride to work is 6 miles and about 10 stoplights :( ). What I have taken to doing is plunging the choke lever down until the bike almost stalls, then taking it back off. That usually does it, but it is annoying. Since the choke wiggle seems to remedy it, I figure I must have buggered up the starter plungers when I rebuilt it (This is new behavior since I rebuilt em) Perhaps they are sticking somehow? I hope to fix that for good this winter.

HTH
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: