Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 12:26 #7773

• Neotrion
  • Neotrion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I have been trying to get my valve clearances back into spec. I was able to buy about 60 dollars worth of parts from Jeff at Z1 (hey 60 dollars is a lot to a college student) and get it put back together. I guess my measurements are off, because my valve clearances still arn't in spec. I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to trade some valve shims in. I can't afford to keep buying shims, and I was hoping that someone would like to make a swap. I have 4 2.2mm shims and 2 2.25 mm shims. I also have some 2.1 mm shims to trade. I need the following

1 - 2.35 mm shim
2 - 2.40 mm shim
1 - 2.45 mm shim
1 - 2.50 mm shim
1 - 2.55 mm shim

I would be happy to trade what I mentioned above for what I said I need. Maybe I should just cut my loses and put it back in storage?

Post edited by: neotrion, at: 2005/11/11 16:32

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 12:54 #7780

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Most times motorcycle shops will swap you at no charge.
If nobody else "bellies up" Send them to me and I'll have my local Kawasaki/ Yamaha shop swap them out for you @ no charge. And I'll pick up the return mail cost.
Also talk to Jeff.. he's a great guy to deal with and just might be willing to do you some swapping too.
This is... if they are the same as the 900/1000 Kawasaki's use... otherwise I'm lost.

DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for Jeff, only a suggestion.
Pat
EDIT: Winter storage maybe, but keep working on it !!

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2005/11/11 15:55

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2005/11/11 15:59
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 13:03 #7783

• Neotrion
  • Neotrion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Well the Kawasaki dealer here didn't seem to have to much of an idea of what I was talking about. After I explained it to him he grunted something about those bikes being so old and told me he would order them and they would cost me around 8.50 per shim. I have had some dealings with Jeff, and he has always been more than fair to me. In fact he has given me a ton of advice over email. I know he has to run a business, and you can't be giving parts away for free. I ordered about 6 shims from him last week, and honestly it is my fault that they don't fit LOL.

I think the shims you are talking about are the 29mm over the bucket for the 900s . I know I need the 13mm under the buckets. I got the right ones from Jeff, it just seems like I purchased the wrong sizes.

Post edited by: neotrion, at: 2005/11/11 16:33

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 13:30 #7788

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You will probably be able to swap the 29mm shims out for the under bucket smaller type with Jeff... Give him a call. I think he also handles the little ones.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 15:58 #7817

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
If these are 29mm, I'm doing some swapping around this weekend and should have some in the range you need and need som ein the range you have.

-Duck

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 17:29 #7833

• Willo46
  • User
You might want to call another dealer, and/or try to talk to somebody in the service department. Sometimes the parts people aren't so helpful or bright. I've found some of the mechanics will have a stash they'll trade as a favor. You might try a Yamaha shop too, some of the Yamaha models used 29mm shims.

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 18:52 #7847

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I think you guys missed the point, he needs the underbucket shims like the 650 uses for his 750 :D

(According to my reading anyway) :ohmy:
KD9JUR

Shim Drama 11 Nov 2005 20:47 #7864

• Willo46
  • User
Yep, need to read the post. :pinch:

Shim Drama 12 Nov 2005 03:22 #7883

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35

Yep, need to read the post

Yep, I see he said 13mm on another branch, two hours before I replied. Still getting used to this threaded format...

-Duck

Shim Drama 12 Nov 2005 05:15 #7884

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
Cant you return them to where you bought them from for the correct ones? Like exchange them for the correct ones?

Daniel

Shim Drama 12 Nov 2005 07:49 #7898

• Newimperial
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Neotrion have a look at Klasmo bikes website in Germany they sell brand new Shims(13mm) for three to four euros. I don't know if this any use to you but I have dealt with them and they are quick and cheap
I Started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Shim Drama 12 Nov 2005 08:03 #7900

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Duck wrote:

Yep, need to read the post

Yep, I see he said 13mm on another branch, two hours before I replied. Still getting used to this threaded format...

-Duck

Off topic here but Duck you can switch to a flat view instead of the threaded view. Up at the top of each forum page you can switch between flat view, which gives each reply in order of each other, or threaded view with the branches (way to confuzzling for my simple mind)

• Page: