Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine painted black 16 Sep 2006 08:35 #77160

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you can send wife out of town you can bake pant in oven but it stinks,dont ask me how i know this!:whistle: :P armor-all sprayed on painted parts every once in a while will also make engine and exhuast paint last longer just make sure to wipe off excess. ;)also preheating aluminum parts before you paint them helps,just warm them up a little.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine painted black 16 Sep 2006 18:31 #77306

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I thought the factory finish was Kalgard on the engines.

Engine painted black 18 Sep 2006 13:28 #77677

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
To answer Kawjockey's ?- no Kalgard on oem Kaw's.Kalgard has a disticnctly greenish/grey tinge to it. Kerker used it for a while and so did Murray, but ceramic coating has replaced it these days.

The oem engine paint is baked on and sticks like sh*t to a blanket.Most cases are painted before final machining so it's impervious to machining fluids etc.

I've had really good luck with Duplicolor black rattle can paint in the satin finish. Repainted a MKll head this year and you can't tell it from oem -prep is everything in painting these motors.If you can, stick the painted parts in the oven at 250 for 20-30 mins.to cure the paint.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Engine painted black 20 Sep 2006 05:38 #78096

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I don't know what the black stuff is that is on the ST's cases or what is on a GPz's cases but they are different finishes I think. The ST finish is thinner and perhaps tougher while the GPz stuff is glossier and tends to chip.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Engine painted black 24 Sep 2006 07:05 #79152

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
The shiny stuff is likely acrylic polyurathane, which does tend to chip off like WG said. The cases and cylinder head of a dragbike motor were done for me about 6-7 years ago with BASF acrylic. Very shiny and durable for the most part. I've got tons of pics but no clue how to post em.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Engine painted black 24 Sep 2006 07:21 #79157

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
tw.. wrote:

If I'm correct i don't think many black air cooled engines were made, so i was wondering if the was a specific reason for this such as over heating issues.

tw

Black improves radiative cooling.

Engine painted black 24 Sep 2006 08:18 #79162

• wireman
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

low gloss black paint disapates heat really well,theres a reason most bigblock chevy crate motors came painted black from gm:evil:damn picture wont fit!

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/15 15:41:S<br><br>Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/15 15:42

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/24 11:21
Attachments:

Engine painted black 24 Sep 2006 12:42 #79189

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Flat black hi-temo paint works great for engines. Idea is that the flat black has more "surface area" because of the rougher surface and therefore has more area for air to hit. Many dragracers I have talked to swear on PJ-1 paint for engines. A little more expensive but they say it looks better and lasts longer. Chrome is very bad for anything that has heat-it retains the heat inside the part but I live with that as a trade-off for the "look"! Shiny paint will dissapate heat slower then flat paint as a rule!
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• Page: