Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam chain noise when cold 09 Aug 2006 09:17 #68276

• kawaduce
  • kawaduce's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a more or less soft ticking from the valve cover area when I start the bike up. But when she (yepp, it's a female!) gets warmed up good (or hot, if you like.. ;) ) the ticking goes away.

The question: Is this the cam chain? Why would the ticking go away when the bike warms up?

Heat = expansion = more ticking, is my thinking???
KZ1100B2 1982 - carb converted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam chain noise when cold 09 Aug 2006 10:00 #68289

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You will want to read the article on VALVE CLEARANCE on my web site.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cam chain noise when cold 09 Aug 2006 10:05 #68291

• Mark Whiddon
  • User
I have had the same problem on other bikes and yes it sounds like the cam chain. This is just my theory and I have no scientific fact to back it up. I believe a cold chain has lost all its lubrication due to the oil having fallen to the bottom of the engine. As the engine starts running it takes it a few minutes to fully lubricate every thing. notice I said fully lubricate not just get oil to the top end. As the moving parts heat up the oil is being broken down in viscosity a little bit and able to work its way into all the little crevises and at that point the chain is then more flexible (don't read loose) being more flexible it does not buck and jerk like it did when it is cold. That being said, your cam chain is probably getting worn/loose to a certain degree for it to be making that noise when cold. You can adjust the cam tension pretty easily or replace an auto matic chain tensioner with an aftermarket manual. THese have a longer adjustment and are fairly cheap.At this point I don't think you are causing any damage however if the ticking/slapping sound gets to the point of being there at all times you will want to tighten the cam chain up. Just my 2 cents
Mark

Cam chain noise when cold 09 Aug 2006 12:43 #68322

• kawaduce
  • kawaduce's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
WG: I did read the article on valve clearence before I actually lifted the valve cover and made some measurements - all accepted .05 feeler except one, which I replaced, and then it accepted the .10 feeler.

BUT! After checking clearences I decided to check the torque on the cam holder bolts, and SHIT! :sick: All 8 bolts to the front cam more or less spun round and round... thank you, PO..:angry: . So, now both my cams are held in place by helicoiled bolt holes. The point of the story comes now: I just realized i did not re-check valve clearences after torquing the cams... hmm?

And when it comes to oil, I recently changed to fully synthetic... maybe an issue?
KZ1100B2 1982 - carb converted

• Page: