Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 11:26 #66405

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah it works fine, thats part of the reason why I'm so confused.

DOes oil travel up that cable at all or is there just an over flow from the casing?
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 11:33 #66407

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I had the same problem w/my bike rebuild. The tach and speedo cables had both broken, and fallen off, where they attached to the case(tach) and speedo "hub". Those threaded attachments are built onto the cables and really can't be fixed. Buy a new cable.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 12:01 #66416

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
The oil is just leaking out from the head. It does not go up the cable at all. The only lube that the cable gets is when you spray cable lube yourself. You will want to fix it soon because the oil will run down the front of the engine and start to smoke and stain.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 12:01 #66417

• Werewolfx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Its not an overflow, and its not supposed to oil the cable or tach, its an oil leak if its making it into the cable.

Bugger, Kawtoy beat me to it.

Post edited by: Werewolfx, at: 2006/08/01 15:02
Chris

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 13:02 #66431

• squints
  • User
so thats why it was smokin the other day....:silly: :woohoo:

Upstate NY

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 13:09 #66432

• squints
  • User
how big of a process is it to remove the engine head and replace that seal. Plus, one of the cam seals on the sides is beginning to ooze.

Is it just taking it off, throwing a new seal and then pooping it back on. Please say yes

Upstate NY

Easy question, easy answer... 01 Aug 2006 13:44 #66442

• Werewolfx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
not..exactly..somone that has a clue what they're talking about might be able to explain it. I have an idea of what needs to be done, but no idea of how to explain it.

For one thing, you'll need a new head gasket...
Chris

Easy question, easy answer... 02 Aug 2006 05:44 #66602

• squints
  • User
Soo, i did a close inspection last night and I found that all the pieces are there. It does screw into the engine head. But, the connection is very weak between the tach cable and the head. In the schematic up there, there is a piece 92049- Oil Seal, i dont have that, is that an o-ring that goes inbetween the case and the cable, underneath the cover screw. Cover screw meaning the part that secures the tach cable into place. Damn man, oil leaks love to follow me.

Upstate NY

Easy question, easy answer... 02 Aug 2006 07:48 #66621

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The tach drive sending unit press fits into the cylinder head. No need to remove the cylinder head. You press fit the sending unit in and then retain it using a small triangular piece of metal that just pins it in place and the triangle shaped metal bit is held by a 6mm bolt. Once you have the sending unit in place, the tach cable end screws onto the sending unit and the cable inside the cable housing will connect to the gear on the cam shaft via the sending unit. No oil is supposed to get up into the cable sheathe. You are supposed to remove it at the tach and oil it. There are two bits that keep oil from getting out of the engine. One is a 10mm oring and the other is an oil seal. The 10mm oring fits between the cylinder head and sending unit (fits onto end of sending unit in a slot I think) and the oil seal presses into the sending unit. You can get both from z1enterprises.com and if the sending unit is missing, you can get the whole thing as a kit I think. The sending units from earlier KZs have different part numbers because the way they are held in place is different but I think they will fit.

The sending unit is marked 92087 on the drawing posted as is made up of the outer bit (92087) and the bit that fits inside it which carries its own number. BTW 92087 is NOT a part number. It is the prefix to the part number. The actual part number will be 92087-xxxx where the last four tell you the actual part. All tach sending bits will be 92087 regardless of model and the last four will be the specific bit you need.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/08/02 10:51
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Easy question, easy answer... 02 Aug 2006 11:19 #66695

• squints
  • User
wow, thank you. Yeah I think I have the o-ring but not the seal. And that should do the trick huh. Awesome.

Thanks a bunch wiredgeorge

Upstate NY

• Page: