Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 18:10 #867525

• ShaneDude
  • ShaneDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 13
Today i was on my 77 KZ750 Twin. I decided to make it a kick start bike only when the starter clutch started slipping. Just stopped using the electric start and kick it.

So today while riding the bike at 60MPH, it just slowly stopped accelerating and came to a stop.

Tried to kick it, nothing. Tried to use the starter and it sounded like it tried to turn over (sometimes it still does) but it didnt. Had to call a tow. While I was waiting for the tow, I noticed the igniton coil and fallen from ty straps I had holding it on to the frame (something I will never do again). I recently changed the ignition coil and didnt properly Fix it back.

The tow guy loved the old KZs and learned on a 400. He said "i bet you blew a fuse. Its no big deal" I told him the bike TRIES to turn over so how could a fuse be blown? And what fuse could have been blownby the igniton coil fall (if thats even the problem).

Any ideas? I have to travel for work tomorrow and wont be able to get to the bike until Tuesday , but want to hear what you think?

And could a failing clutch cause this (the bike still goes in gear easy. when the bikes stopped, it felt like a power problem).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ShaneDude.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 18:21 #867526

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2052
Could be a dead cell in the battery.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 18:26 #867527

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
I'll check, but the battery is good. Lithium. Wouldnt the dangling Ignition coil be a prime suspect? On the version i have, there's this little metal hoop on the wide that looks like a screw goes through it. Its connected to the black and yellow wires. That was loose.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 18:47 #867530

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2052
Yes, loose coil and loose ground wire can also be the problem.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 18:54 #867531

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
Thanks so much for your guidance. I will take a photo of it this week (the wire that is loose with the hole for a bolt) and show you. Will also check the fuses.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 19:22 #867533

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
A black wire and yellow wire?

or a black wire with yellow stripe?

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 19:29 #867534

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
the black and yellow spade into the coil. On on of those wires is a thin metal "O" that looks like a bolt goes through it. Its loose with no bolt. Thats the best way I can describe it. Tomorrow I will take a pic of it.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 22 May 2022 19:55 #867536

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
Hmmmmm
I only see a red/yellow wire and a blue wire going to the coil.
The red/yellow is the 12v positive going into the coil
The blue wire goes to the points.
I'll wait for the photo tomorrow.

photo: filebase Patton
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:

Last edit: by F64.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 23 May 2022 00:19 #867541

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
If it just "tries" to turn over it's more likely battery voltage.
Many lithium batteries don't get on with the fluctuating charging systems on these older machines and soon suffer from cell failure.
Been there done that and reverted back to plain flooded acid or AGM batteries because of this very issue.
If it were a coil etc it wouldn't affect the cranking speed and a shorting coil would cause sporadic cutting out or sudden power loss and not a gradual loss of acceleration which is more indicitve of declining power from the battery.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 23 May 2022 01:05 #867543

• woodyvale
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
if it slowly stopped accelerating, wouldn't that point to fuel starvation? Or did it just cut out suddenly.

Last edit: by woodyvale.

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 23 May 2022 02:05 #867544

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459

if it slowly stopped accelerating, wouldn't that point to fuel starvation? .
It could be a result of insufficient fuel but then it wouldn't affect the bikes cranking.
He says the bike slowly died but then only TRIES to turn over which would imply a low battery whether it be caused by an incompatible battery/charging combination or dead short from the coil .
The coil short pulling the battery down is less likely as it should have blown the fuse first.
Assuming that the symptoms and surrounding circumstances have been described correctly that would be the logical assumption.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

I need the WISDOM of the Old Timers but Young at Heart KZ750B 23 May 2022 03:56 #867547

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Battery conditioners for acid/agm batteries have the "smart" element in the charger. Lithium chargers do not have this and just pump power regardless. Lithium batteries have the "smart" element in the battery.
​​​​​​The charging system on these old bike is pretty crude and fluctuates the power supply and confuses the lithium "smart" circuit and will fry the battery in pretty short order. 
If you want to use a lithium battery you need to upgrade and modernise the voltage regulation circuits of the bikes system. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!