Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 04:24 #821790

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
I would still guess that the sensor is at fault, but it could also be the warner unit. Don't know for sure how to confirm this without swapping them out with new/working ones.

If I'm right and the sensor actually closes the circuit when there is enough oil (meaning the warner unit detects a closed circuit and turns the light off), the light should go off when you ground the lead that goes to the sensor (unplug the sensor and connect the lead going to it to the engine or battery -ve). If this stops the light from coming on when you rev the bike then the sensor is probably faulty - I would assume it works for extreme cases (full or no oil) but in between it is not reading properly. If you still see the light coming on when revving, then the sensor can't be the problem and it's probably the warner unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 06:12 #821797

• JohnLuke
  • JohnLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
  • Thank you received: 5
Oh okay. I’ll see if I can buy a new sensor. You mentioned a warner unit. Where is that? Is that different than the sensor?

Thanks!

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 06:31 #821799

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I bought a new sensor and I just tested it the way you mentioned. The light stays on when you ground out the wire or unplug it. For now I’ll just keep an eye on the oil level through the site glass and ride around.

Thanks!

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 06:39 #821800

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
In some old KZR topics. some guys installed an oil pressure switch, but you'd probably have to drill & tap some threads.
From EB pics the 750 Spectre crankcase appears to have the provision for installing an oil pressure switch under the RH engine cover. same location as the 650/750 models. Then you could probably eliminate the oil level sensor altogether by replacing the oil pan.
(note: I'm not certain if the pressure switch oil passage has been machined, though)

... 1981 KZ650-CSR.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 07:20 #821804

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
You are correct. It isn’t machined. But, I was just riding and noticed that as the bike warms up the light stays off until I really get on it I mean in the red line. So I’m not sure why it’s doing that.

Also the headers are smoking a lot I know it’s from the oil that spilled all over it from the top end blowing. Does anyone know how long it will take for the smoke to go away?

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 15:31 #821853

• calum
  • User
Interesting that the light stays on when grounded. That means that the switch probably works as I first thought - grounds the connecting wire when the level is low. Not sure why the light would stay on when disconnected - there must be some way to detect if the circuit is broken or if the switch is just open. Without knowing how the switch works it would be hard to say. total nonsense :) see next post.

Did the new switch work up to the redline?
Also, I'd recheck the oil after the bikes been on it's side - sounds like you've burnt through a bit of it. I think I'll stick to just draining the oil for this sort of work ;)

Not sure where the warner unit is, just skimmed the pages in the manual that mention it.

Last edit: by calum.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 15:45 #821856

• calum
  • User
Reading the manual again I see that the switch is closed (< 0.5 Ohm resistance) when the oil level is OK. This makes sense - when the connecting wire is grounded the warner unit will detect this and switch the light off. Wondering why it would stay on when you ground the wire - that should be basically telling the warning system there is enough oil. Anyone know how this works?

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 26 Mar 2020 16:30 #821862

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
When the new oil sensor comes in I’ll install it and let you know

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 11 Feb 2021 18:54 #843359

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I’m currently still having trouble with this light coming on. Any ideas? Should I buy a new sensor or warner unit?

• Page: