• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 06 Aug 2019 21:15 #808826

• lousankz
  • lousankz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey all,

I came here previously for some valve adjustment insight as I changed out the shims to get the appropriate valve clearance on my 81 KZ50E. Prior thread can be referenced here.. www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/610299-va...ustment-measurements

So at this point the head has been put back together and the bike is up and running again. I am now noticing what sounds like a ticking sound coming from the #4 cylinder once the motor gets warm and stay ticking while hot. It started pretty much right after I got it put back together so I fear it's something to do with the valve adjustments that were made. For reference, cylinder 4 I & E both had extremely small clearance at the beginning of the job (.038mm each). After adjustment, C4 Intake is at .178mm & Exhaust is at .152mm clearance. The clymer manual calls out clearance from .08-.18mm so I felt like this was within spec.

I saw on another forum on here that some people were theorizing that the issue could be an exhaust gasket. I changed the exhaust gaskets this week and no change, the valve is still ticking. I recorded a video and uploaded it hoping a trained ear could take a listen and provide some more insight.

youtube video - dont mind the smoke, just a little bit of remaining oil on the cylinder from a prior oil leak.

Thank you!
1981 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 06 Aug 2019 21:25 #808828

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Have you rechecked the valve clearances?
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 06 Aug 2019 21:34 #808829

• lousankz
  • User
I have not rechecked valve clearances since I got my final measurements and put the bike back together. I was holding out hope that I wouldn’t have to go back in and mess with the valves again but that hope is starting to dwindle haha
1981 KZ750E

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 06 Aug 2019 22:02 #808830

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Yeah, double check. If they are good don't worry about the tick. A little clatter from the valves means there is some clearance. Better than the other way around.

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 02:27 #808832

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Sounds more like a loose cam chain. Are you sure your cam chain tensioner is ok?

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 06:51 #808840

• kzsolo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
It is a pain but I would double check. I checked my KZ750 Twin clearances several times before I put the cover back on. Got the same result as you did. Went back in and found one intake need a thicker shim. Be damned if I know why. Sounds good now.

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 07:17 #808846

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I'm thinking reed valve in the cam cover.
Steve

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 07:20 #808847

• lousankz
  • User
I had adjusted the cam chain tensioner when I did the valves. I hand checked it a few days ago when doing the exhaust gaskets and the locking nut was tight so I assumed it was still appropriately adjusted. I will double check again when I get in to re-measure the valves
1981 KZ750E

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 09:06 #808860

• lousankz
  • User
I dont know much about the reed valve covers on this bike other than they were installed for emissions purposes to mix exhaust w/ oxygen on the way out of the motor (I think). They seem pretty straightforward on how they are attached to the bike so what could go wrong with them that would cause a ticking noise?

I suppose they would come off when I re-checked valve clearances anyways so I could look at them then.
1981 KZ750E

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 09:28 #808861

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Be aware that the cam chain tensioner spring needs to be removed when the valve cover is installed or the chain will be over tensioned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousankz

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 10:03 #808863

• lousankz
  • User
I have a manual tensioner so when I take the valve cover off I back it way out, then upon reassembly it gets tensioned when the valve cover is back on
1981 KZ750E

KZ750E valve ticking after adjustment 07 Aug 2019 10:54 #808864

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611

lousankz wrote: I dont know much about the reed valve covers on this bike other than they were installed for emissions purposes to mix exhaust w/ oxygen on the way out of the motor (I think). They seem pretty straightforward on how they are attached to the bike so what could go wrong with them that would cause a ticking noise?

I suppose they would come off when I re-checked valve clearances anyways so I could look at them then.

One of the reed valves may be broken. That off the four screws and the cover and check.
Steve

• Page: