• Page:

TOPIC:

Removing starter gears 15 Feb 2019 07:54 #798708

• Blue58
  • Blue58's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Old, Bald and Fast
  • Thank you received: 1
I plan ơn taking my engine apart to hone and rering my pistons and clylinders also replace my cam chain i want to remove my kick starter gears to save weight. What do i need to do about the output shaft ? This there a cover i can buy? Or how do i plug it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Removing starter gears 15 Feb 2019 12:47 #798727

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
D&G Chassis Custom Parts offer a Kick Starter Block Off Plate for Kawasaki.
I don´t know about the bolt pattern is the same on your KZ650 engine???

www.dgchassis.net/Dragbike%20parts/dragbike-parts.aspx

Attachments:

Removing starter gears 15 Feb 2019 13:08 #798730

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I'm assuming you're talking about the kick starter shaft on the RH side of the engine.
The 81-83 KZ650 didn't have a kick starter, so the clutch cover doesn't have the orifice >> so you might be able to use one of those. The 80-83 KZ750H Ltd chain drive models had the same clutch cover & I'm pretty sure all of the KZ650 & 750-4 models used the same gasket.
From EB pics >> comparing 77 & 81 650 clutch covers, they look the same except the orifice isn't drilled out on the 81.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Removing starter gears 15 Feb 2019 14:42 #798735

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
Here is what one looks like installed on a Z1B.

Not to steal your thread, but there is a story behind that plate..I wanted to restore the bike to original condition but every time I put the engine together and fire it up I could hear noise from the kick starter. I tore the cases apart five times trying to find the problem. Finally someone a little more experienced told me to check my transmission. Turns out someone had installed a close ratio transmission, and the driving gear for the kick start (1st gear) was a bit smaller in diameter than a standard gear. So the gears would not mate correctly and lots of ratchet noise was occurring. The last time I put the cases together I pulled the kick start out and plated the hole, which was how it was when I bought the bike. There isn't any oil pressure behind the plate, but oil comes and goes because it's connected to the sump. So all you really need to do is find something to fill the hole where the shaft protrudes. Here is what the the PO did.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Removing starter gears 16 Feb 2019 05:43 #798759

• Blue58
  • Blue58's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Old, Bald and Fast
  • Thank you received: 1
I will look into the later cover off a CSR and see if the bolt pattern is the same. That would be an easy fix. Thanks for the information

Removing starter gears 16 Feb 2019 07:18 #798771

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Martin's right about the cover.... I remember the guys talking about it a while back as I have thought about doing it also and even looked on Ebay for a while for one. Try searching I tried looking under my threads but couldn't come up with it.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Removing starter gears 16 Feb 2019 09:37 #798774

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Blue58, it's a good idea to always check stuff for yourself. If two engine covers use the same gasket, then the parts should fit the same & should have the same bolt pattern. First thing I do is look at the diagrams at Partzilla, then search the full part numbers on eebbaayy >> often times there are nos parts or good used part with good pics. If no part number on EB, then I search by part name & alternates. NOS stuff is handy so you can see what a part looks like new.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: