• Page:

TOPIC:

cam timing 21 Jan 2019 20:08 #797257

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello I just put a top end job on a 1978 kz 1000 engine, the timing was set counting the 1st pin from the front camshaft and counted the 28pins to the 28 mark on the exhaust cam I understand this very well. The only thing is the when I screwed the intake cam covers and set everything up the intake valve horizon marker its like one tooth behind.
Someone told me it would adjust itself once the chain tensioner was tighten and the engine spend but it did not.
Now the question is, will this cause late admission and late closing in compression causing issues or Should I simply re do it again and make sure that the horizon lines are set correctly?
I found this article interesting evened I don't understand everything the question would be if that bit of late opening and closing I did, will be in parameters to be beneficial or not.
Thanks
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sayonara.

cam timing 21 Jan 2019 21:04 #797260

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Starting with the next pin count 28 links. Pics?
Steve

cam timing 22 Jan 2019 01:56 #797266

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

SWest wrote:
Starting with the next pin count 28 links. Pics?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

cam timing 22 Jan 2019 05:45 #797269

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
You mean you have a 29 pin count now? It sounds like you might have had some slack below the head when you set the cams. You need to hold the chain taut when putting the cams in place. You need to re-do them or risk having valves hitting your pistons.

When re-doing them you should remove your cam chain tensioner. Ensure the chain is properly on the crankshaft. (I hold the chain tight with my left hand up top and use the kicker to turn the crank.) Set the exhaust cam in its proper place. Set the intake cam in where you think it should be. Then count the pins beginning with the first one above the mark and adjust the intake cam if necessary. When you are done you will see that the cam lobes on #4 cylinder face each other. Before rotating the ending be sure to replace your cam tensioner.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

cam timing 22 Jan 2019 06:22 #797273

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
I have done the 28 pin its just the can sit with the number 2 of the picture below the horizon line. slightly left
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Last edit: by Sayonara.

cam timing 22 Jan 2019 08:42 #797291

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

Sayonara wrote:
I have done the 28 pin its just the can sit with the number 2 of the picture below the horizon line. slightly left

That´s wrong, pin 1 must over the cylinder head horizon line!!!

@ TDC the gaps in the cam ends should look horizontal and parallel to the head surface like this.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

• Page: