Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gearchange oil seal 03 Dec 2018 09:33 #794538

• Pipes66
  • Pipes66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I’ve changed this seal twice now and it keeps failing again shortly after. I’ve also changed the bearing in the outer cover as I wanted to eliminate that possibility. Could there be something inside the engine that is causing this seal to fail?
I am losing a lot of oil whilst I’m riding,there’s just drops underneath in the morning.
Thanks.
1983 kz750 F1 Ltd Shaft US model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gearchange oil seal 03 Dec 2018 11:09 #794539

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Does the push rod surface have any scratches or scoring marks?
Or do you have maybe put the seal with the inside out.
Some pics would help.

Gearchange oil seal 03 Dec 2018 13:00 #794547

• Pipes66
  • User
The gearchange lever is clean,it’s got some movement when the outer case is off but seems fine when it’s on and as I said it’s fine for a couple of days then gets bad pretty fast. I can’t do a pic at the moment as it’s a girls from the club that I look after for her. Next time she’s round I’ll post one.
I put the seal in with the metal shield outside,so It drives in evenly with a piece of conduit tube,if that makes sense(and iirc)
I was wondering if it might help to put some heatshrink on the shaft?
I put it in the same way as the pic.
Attachments:

Gearchange oil seal 03 Dec 2018 13:13 #794548

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Are you sure that you drove it all the way in?
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Gearchange oil seal 03 Dec 2018 13:45 #794550

• Pipes66
  • User
Yes,it’s in level with the casing. You can only go so far or you’ll have gone too far.

Gearchange oil seal 03 Dec 2018 15:07 #794562

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
Does the gear change shaft have much sideways play? if you put the shift lever on the shaft and push down like you would when changing gears, does the shaft move down or does it just twist? There should be minimal movement, just a twisting motion.

I've seen this issue on rod change gearboxes in cars where the sideways movement can damage the seals and they start leaking. Any excess movement in this case would indicate that the shaft has worn a larger hole in the case, or that the bike has been dropped on the lever and cracked the case. I've never seen this happen on a bike without visible damage from dropping the bike, but check the movement to rule it out.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Gearchange oil seal 04 Dec 2018 01:00 #794596

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286

Irish Yobbo wrote: Does the gear change shaft have much sideways play? if you put the shift lever on the shaft and push down like you would when changing gears, does the shaft move down or does it just twist? There should be minimal movement, just a twisting motion.

I've seen this issue on rod change gearboxes in cars where the sideways movement can damage the seals and they start leaking. Any excess movement in this case would indicate that the shaft has worn a larger hole in the case, or that the bike has been dropped on the lever and cracked the case. I've never seen this happen on a bike without visible damage from dropping the bike, but check the movement to rule it out.

But wouldnt the outer cover prevent the shaft from moving about enough to knacker the seal on the inner case? Whats on the outer casing anyway,I dont remember. Is it another seal,a bushing or a felt ring??
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Gearchange oil seal 04 Dec 2018 01:31 #794597

• Pipes66
  • User
It’s a bush,there’s really not a lot of movement when changing gear,you would think a new seal would do the trick.

Gearchange oil seal 04 Dec 2018 02:42 #794599

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
You say you are fitting as per your picture. The picture shows the outside face. You are definitely fitting the seal the correct way round?

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Gearchange oil seal 04 Dec 2018 05:23 #794603

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595

Pipes66 wrote: ... I can’t do a pic at the moment as it’s a girls from the club that I look after for her. ...

Not sure, then, what bike you're working on if it's not the one in your sig line.

Assuming it's the shift shaft in question and not the clutch pushrod:
On Z1's there is significant slop in the shift shaft if the outer sprocket cover is not in place, as the bushing in the outer cover provides significant support at the outer end of the shift shaft. An unsupported shift shaft will appear to be quite loose & sloppy.

Are you protecting the inner lip of the seal from the sharp points of the shift shaft splines when you slide the seal over the shift shaft?
On Z1's, when the tranny cover is installed, the shift shaft seal has to slide over the outer splines of the shift shaft. We always wrap one layer of electrical tape (or 2 ~ 3 layers of teflon tape) around the splines so they don't damage the relatively delicate lip of the shift shaft seal.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Gearchange oil seal 06 Feb 2019 06:27 #798267

• Pipes66
  • User
Yes I protect the seal. I wouldn’t say the shaft was over sloppy at all,there is some movement but it’s not excessive. I suppose my question is could the movement/sloppiness be at the crankcase end of the shaft rather than 5he outer casing?

Gearchange oil seal 06 Feb 2019 08:06 #798272

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
There are three seals. Two in the sprocket cover and one in the tranny cover. In the sprocket cover one faces out and the inside one faces in. They provide support for the shaft.
Steve
Attachments:

• Page: