• Page:

TOPIC:

Problems adjusting clutch push rod 05 Nov 2018 20:23 #793439

• Robb2018
  • Robb2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29
I replaced 2 broken friction plates in my clutch today. Pulled the clutch in and nothing.. just play. Took off the sprocket cover and checked everything out, took the spring plate off the clutch, checked the stainless steel ball was still in place and the rod moved freely. So I moved on to adjusting the push rod... ugh... Looks like the PO rounded off the nut. A number 11 was too tight and a 12 was too loose. I also tried a couple deep standard sockets to see if I could get lucky and nothing came close. I put as much pressure as I dared with a big screw driver trying to back the lock nut off with the adjusting screw but that wasn't happening either. This is one of those stupid things that can hang you up for several days or worse. Anyone have any ideas?
KZ900; Z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Robb2018.

Problems adjusting clutch push rod 05 Nov 2018 20:33 #793440

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Unbolt the actuator from the inside so you can get a good bight on it. Get a new lock nut at the hardware store.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb2018

Problems adjusting clutch push rod 05 Nov 2018 20:40 #793441

• Robb2018
  • Robb2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29
I took the two screws off and took the worm gear and housing off but there was no access to the adjusting screw from back there.

Edit: Checked again, took off the worm gear housing and was able to grab the nut with a vice grip. Had a healthy one in my nut jar. Clutch adjusted and pulls normal. The other problem was I had the actuator arm too far forward. Took it off and kept rethreading it till it was at about the 5 O'Clock position from an outside perspective. Thanks Steve. I'll ride it around the block tomorrow and test it out. Do you think that dragging noise was coming from the two broken friction plates? I'm hoping so but don't see how that would be.
KZ900; Z1

Last edit: by Robb2018.
  • Page: