• Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ550 start up after rebuild 16 Jul 2018 21:55 #787096

• aleeka
  • aleeka's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone

I purchased a 1980 KZ550 with 50,000 miles. The bike ran great when I bought it but cam chain was stretched. Sense it was winter here in Colorado I tore the bike down and the motor and replaced the cam chain along with the primary. I just got done putting it all back together and now I am having some issues getting it to run...

Yes, I know there are about a million things that could be a play here considering I took the motor completely apart..

However, it seems like it not getting gas. The motor turns over fine but will not fire. This is my first attempt at a rebuild so I am just curious if I am missing something. Kinda hard to spray starter fluid in there with the airbox and carbs all sealed up..

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I figured I would ask on here before I start improvising a way to start it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ550 start up after rebuild 17 Jul 2018 04:59 #787098

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Did you double check the cam timing?  Make sure the valve clearance is in spec?  Use the petcock prime position to fill the carbs?  Check spark?

Oh, and did you remove the cam chain tensioner spring pressure when you installed the valve cover?  If not, your cam chain is over tensioned now.

Last edit: by Nessism.

1980 KZ550 start up after rebuild 17 Jul 2018 07:09 #787103

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Also check to be sure that the coils are connected to the correct spark plugs. One coil fires cylinders 1& 4, the other one fires 2 & 3.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: