Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 Freeway Power 12 Jul 2015 20:12 #680620

• dakiato
  • dakiato's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

swest wrote: You put in a foam filter. Check your plugs. Might be too lean. Pics.
Steve

My homemade filter - It's a bit dirty after 1500 miles, but, seems to be doing it's job.

Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2 plug:

Both were cleaned off before I went on the ride after fixing the boots, so, the color should be correct.I think they look alright and have a orange-y tinge to them.

JR wrote: Click on the "Articles" tab above and check out Carb Cleaning 101 and 102 for some usefull tips.

Also www.kz400.com/index.html will have some usefull stuff with photos

Good luck

Cheers, I'll give them a read tonight and hopefully take a crack at this sometime this week. I've done twin barrel Volkswagen ones, so, these can't be too much harder, right :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dakiato. Reason: quote

KZ440 Freeway Power 16 Jul 2015 18:17 #681174

• dakiato
  • User
New OEM filter came in today and put it in the bike. Went straight to the freeway from my house, and, found 6th gear could now happily accelerate to 75MPH at a reasonable throttle. Would've tried to go faster, but, traffic didn't permit. Got off after about 2 miles, rode 1/2 mile up the road, and then got back on the freeway the other way. This time however the bike was back to exactly how it was behaving beforehand, no power at all and had trouble maintaining freeway speeds again.

So, the short trip on the freeway the first time was the best it's ridden since I've owned it. Not really sure though what would cause it to go back to no power on the way home however - Figure it must be heat related, so, spark/leads/coil? Plan to order all three and see what happens.

KZ440 Freeway Power 16 Jul 2015 19:15 #681195

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
Test those components first before replacing them.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

KZ440 Freeway Power 23 Jul 2015 10:01 #682345

• dakiato
  • User

Nebr_Rex wrote: Test those components first before replacing them.

Tested all three out, and, they all were fine according to the service manual. Left them be.

I did however start taking the carbs apart and found 4 long tears in the right carb's CV diaphragm - Figure it almost certainly has to be that. Going to order 2 new diaphragms from JBM and hopefully have a decent running bike. Many thanks for the assistance, everyone.

• Page: