Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 12:06 #56583

• bigdaddyjohn
  • bigdaddyjohn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Try to identify this bike. Found it in my neighbors barn, obviously not running. Said to have carburator issues. No markings to be found. Nothing on under the seat. He thinks it's a 900 but not sure. The owner wants $250. Needs tires, the speedometer housing is broken (dangling from cable), missing the side plates that cover the battery, and has no title. Looking for a starter bike as I haven't rode for 12 years and money is tight.

What is it? Is it worth putting money/time into it? I have seen running bikes in same engine size for $1000-$1500 in the area. Wouldn't even think of giving the $250 but would consider less if it looks possible to get a decent bike out of this. Can take more pictures if needed.

Sorry if this should be posted on another forum but didn't see one that was completely appropriate.

bigdaddyjohn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 12:37 #56588

• lifeliberty
  • User
I've never spent more than 600 (each) for my 550 and 750. they were running and had titles.

the fact that the owner deosn't even know what bike it is tells you how much he cared about it. why was it parked in the first place? how long parked? you are going to spend more than 1000-1500 getting that bike titled, running good, and making it safe for the road.

normally it is the cheap bikes that end up costing more in the long run.

run the VIN which is stamped on the steering stem. type the VIN into www.buykawasaki.com at the top of the webpage, go to owner info

Post edited by: lifeliberty, at: 2006/06/23 15:40

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 12:54 #56591

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Bigdaddyjohn:

As you face the bike (if it's, in fact, a Kawasaki), on the lower left hand side of the cylinder jugs will be, facing forward, a flattened area with the cc's embossed. As you face the bike, on the left side of the crankcase, below the carbs, will be a flattened surface with the motor VIN stamped. As you face the bike, on the left side of the main steering stem will be either a attached white label with motor vehicle info (including the frame VIN) or if missing, the VIN will be stamped into the frame. You will have to turn the handlebars to the left to read this label. Once you get all this info, you can look up the identification on several sites. Then you can make the call on whether or not the bike is worth your time and money.:)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 12:56 #56592

• wireman
  • Visitor
pictures,need pictures so we know what kind of bike were talking about.:whistle:

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 14:42 #56616

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
part it out and buy something that is complete and has a U.S. Vin# so you will not get killed in the field on a nervous scrapper with barn vareity of rabies. haha
take my kz for sale I'll deliver for energy costs.

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 15:29 #56630

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Get a photo. If not a KAW it might be someone elses dream bike. Dibs if a Vincent! -Duck

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 15:30 #56631

• wireman
  • Visitor
where are you located?if youre not interested we always have room here at wiremans home for unwanted zs:whistle:

identify of bike 23 Jun 2006 20:34 #56701

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
lack of a title hurts the value, but depending on where you are that might not be a problem. i paid 350 for my 900 not running but you can see what i got for the money in the gallery. 1 pic b4 one after but its transforming severly now so even those pics are several years ago.
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

identify of bike 24 Jun 2006 01:55 #56761

• bigdaddyjohn
  • User
I tried to post the pic with the question but it was too big. The post went through without the pic and I ran out of time before work to resize and post. I'll try again.

The bike is stored in the neighbors barn. It wasn't his bike. Friend of the family stored it there and never started to work on it. Not sure about the no title history. He bought it off the dude with the intention of working on it several years ago.

Hopefully the picture will post with this. Thanks for the advice already.

bigdaddyjohn

Post edited by: bigdaddyjohn, at: 2006/06/24 04:57

Post edited by: kzrider, at: 2006/06/24 13:10
Attachments:

identify of bike 24 Jun 2006 02:02 #56762

• bigdaddyjohn
  • User
pic2
Attachments:

identify of bike 24 Jun 2006 02:03 #56763

• bigdaddyjohn
  • User
pic3
Attachments:

identify of bike 24 Jun 2006 02:59 #56767

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Hummmm...interesting mixture of parts....has an LTD front end, but the rear wheel is a drum brake...missing a caliper on the front, suggesting the front end/wheel was a bolt-on addition...tail piece is a 1000A1...front fender looks Z1/Z900...I'm guessing a 1976/7 KZ900A4/5...but the VIN (see my earlier post) will tell the true story....a non-runner with no title ought to be really cheap!
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Page: