Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Starter clutch issues to check? 22 Feb 2011 13:13 #432739

• bgmrc
  • bgmrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
so i have been reading alot about how this can be a big issue/problem with the older bikes, so i was wondering if i could get a list here of things i should check for on my bike before i put it on the road fulltime this year...

79 KZ750 Twin....

Thanx again for the help everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter clutch issues to check? 22 Feb 2011 13:24 #432740

• Kitten Tooth
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Are you hearing like a clacking rattling noise when the bikes running? if not then your probably ok. If your starter is just spinning and not engaging to crank the engine, that could either be the primary drive gear under the stator cover on the right side of the engine or the starter clutch.
1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Starter clutch issues to check? 22 Feb 2011 14:08 #432748

• bgmrc
  • Visitor
starter is ok...im refferring to the starter clutch...i was told to check the bolts and possibily rebuild the springs pins and rollers...

is this an issue for the old KZ like i have been told...or just something i should be aware of and check it...

so my question is whats the best way to check it properly..

Thanx

Starter clutch issues to check? 22 Feb 2011 15:56 #432771

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
bgmrc wrote:

so i have been reading alot about how this can be a big issue/problem with the older bikes, so i was wondering if i could get a list here of things i should check for on my bike before i put it on the road fulltime this year...

79 KZ750 Twin....

Thanx again for the help everyone!

If the starter clutch is bad it will be really noisy when starting, might not turn the engine at all. The 750 twin starter clutches can fail, but mine has 83k miles and is still good.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Starter clutch issues to check? 22 Feb 2011 16:02 #432773

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
bgmrc wrote:

so my question is whats the best way to check it properly..

Thanx

Either rebuild it, or...

if it starts the bike, it works. If not one day, then cry.

:laugh:
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Starter clutch issues to check? 22 Feb 2011 16:14 #432779

• Kitten Tooth
  • User
Well you know that saying, "If it aint broke, dont fix it"? until you hear a rattling noise in the engine that sounds like a bad knocking I wouldnt disassemble anything..

That was my bike when i first bought it. And yes, the rattling was the starter clutch. If you are curious and would like to take a look, make sure you have a new gasket, pneumatic impact wrench, flywheel puller made for your bike to get the magnetic flywheel off, some red loctite thread locker, and 3 new flywheel bolts. You can get the flywheel puller from your local motorcycle shop. Just say what bike you have and explain what you need to do and they should be able to help you. I was also told that the rear axel can work as the puller. You should see 2 sets of threads. Some on the end of the crank and some in the flywheel. The puller threads into the flywheel and pushes the flywheel off using the crank. you will need to use the impact wrench to get the flywheel bolt off and you will also have to use it on the flywheel puller. When you get that off, the starter clutch should be bolted to the back of the flywheel. remove the bolts and inspect the rollers and springs. these are not held in with anything and will most likely come out when you remove the flywheel so make sure you keep track of where everything went. Inspect the parts to be sure all is well and also inspect the bolts. Since you have it apart anyways, i would make sure all the parts and starter clutch are clean and undamaged. Go to Fastenall or some hardware store and buy some Grade 8 Bolts that have the same thread pattern and screw head depth. MAKE SURE THEY ARE GRADE 8!!! if you just buy random ones and throw them in there they will sheer off after starting the bike like 4 times and you will have to buy a new flywheel as well which is kind of an expensive part. Go bolt on the new starter clutch, making sure you coat each bolt with a generous amount of red loctite. TORQUE YOUR BOLTS TOO!! or they will come loose after maybe 6 good rides. Get the specs off of this site or out of your shop manual if you have one. I doesnt hurt to put some loctite on the crankshaft bolt too when you zip it back in with that impact wrench. Also when you remove that main cover on the side of the motor, do not pull the stator wires out of the rubber piece on the cover. That is galvanized and if you do that, that cover ends up being pretty much junk. Good luck man.
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Starter clutch issues to check? 23 Feb 2011 07:06 #432888

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

Go to Fastenall or some hardware store and buy some Grade 8 Bolts that have the same thread pattern and screw head depth. MAKE SURE THEY ARE GRADE 8!!!

Hmmm, I really don't think using Grade 8 bolts would be a good idea, since Grade 8 is an SAE spec and applies to SAE bolts, and the KZ uses metric bolts. Look for a 12.x on the head of the bolt, I think that's an equivalent to Grade 8.
KD9JUR

Starter clutch issues to check? 23 Feb 2011 09:29 #432909

• Kitten Tooth
  • User
yep, just make sure you use high strength bolts when you put it all back together. I used grade 8 on mine though and they fit just the the others...
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Starter clutch issues to check? 23 Feb 2011 14:28 #432946

• bgmrc
  • Visitor
ok so i dont know exactly what my issue is currently woth my starter now...i have 2 starters now..the one that came with the bike and i just got one off ebay, and the one i just got does not turn the motor over barely at all..

my orginal starter does this as kitten tooth wrote above...""If your starter is just spinning and not engaging to crank the engine, that could either be the primary drive gear under the stator cover on the right side of the engine or the starter clutch""

so i would assume that the starter is engageing then poping off??
and the new starter i just installed yesterday just make alot of loud noises and does not really even crank it..

i would say i should rebuild my original one..it turns the bike well for a few seconds...then just spins with turning the motor...

any thoughts please??

Thanx

Starter clutch issues to check? 23 Feb 2011 20:27 #433036

• Kitten Tooth
  • User
So the starter spins fine then but the engine isnt cranking? If so then yes, pull the engine cover and poke around. If the starter is just sitting there making noise but it doesnt seem to crank the engine, then pull it out and hook it up to a 12 volt battery and see how it spins then. positive goes to the post coming out of the starter and negative can just touch the outer casing of the starter.
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Starter clutch issues to check? 23 Feb 2011 21:07 #433046

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
Its not the starter, its the starter clutch. Do as the kid says. :laugh:

PS. Dont buy peoples broken shit off FLEAbay. Your just getting someone elses second hand headache. It always pays in the end to buy NEW.

B)
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Last edit: by TeK9iNe.

Starter clutch issues to check? 23 Feb 2011 22:43 #433054

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
KD9JUR