• Page:

TOPIC:

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 21 Mar 2006 11:50 #33091

• puckaveli
  • puckaveli's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Quick version:
Anyone heard of RC Performance Products?
Any tips or tricks to replacing exhaust studs?
If replacing the exhaust hardware would replacing the collars and holders be adviseable?
Would a new exhaust with more backpressure require carb work to match it?

Long version:
I just picked up a 79 KZ650 and it has a megaphone style 4-1 exhaust with a "RC Performance Products" badge on the pipe. And the bike has "RC Pro Stock" painted on the side cover. It's way too loud at this point. I searched the internet and couldn't find anything on RC so I was curious if anyone has heard of them? I pulled the "baffle" out and it was just the end plate with a smaller pipe with holes in it. There was no evidence of it ever having packing in there. I'm going to buy some packing and see if it will help with the noise level and create some back pressure too. If the packing dosn't work I will most likely get a V&H 4-1.

It's also leaking at the gaskets on 2 cylinders so I'm ordering thicker gaskets, new nuts/washers and new studs from redlinecycle.com. Would it be advisable to replace the collars and holders as well?

I was told the bike was jetted and had carb work done by a respectable tuner last year, so would replacing a relatively baffless exahust with a new Vance and Hines baffled exhaust require any more carb work be done to "match" the new exhaust which undoubtably have more backpressure?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Post edited by: puckaveli, at: 2006/03/21 14:53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 21 Mar 2006 12:14 #33093

• fastestz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
try looking up RUSS COLLINS
thats who made the pipe you have,doubt you will/can find any parts.

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 21 Mar 2006 13:44 #33127

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Packing the pipe should quiet it down and may need a little tuning. Russ Collins was a leader in Hi-Po parts for early Japanese bikes. I think he was the first person to go 200 mph in the 1/4 mile. I also think Byron Hines and Terry Vance started out working for him.
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 21 Mar 2006 15:04 #33149

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I have one mounted on my 78 KC650C. It's sounds fantastic and it's not that loud except if I am going really fast. Then it will wail out pretty good. I have to replace the packing in it every couple of years.
If the previuous owner rejetted the carbs for the RC pipe then yes going back to a more restrictive exhaust will probably require rejetting. I wouldn't replace the studs unless they are seriously screwed up. I wouldn't replace the collars either unless they are broken. Here is the link to mine.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/baldy110/KZ650__D-50_V8_003.jpg

Post edited by: baldy110, at: 2006/03/21 18:05

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 21 Mar 2006 17:35 #33189

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Back in the 70's and 80's, this man was "The Man" for high performance cycle parts. He made damn near anything needed to hot rod KZ's and GS's and even some lesser run bikes. Both Byron Hines and Terry Vance started their careers working for him. From his mentoring, they struck out on their own and started Vance & Hines...the rest is history. He ran a dual engine Top Fuel bike, then a triple engine T/F bike, and Honda V4 pro-stocker with an automatic trans., and even a V8 powered T/F bike. I think he even had a Goldwing engined T/F bike called the Battlestar-this thing was WILD! This guy was high tech for those days...everybody looked to him for the next great "thing"! He still makes parts but mostly injectors, etc. for import cars I think. Any parts you would need would have to be found used. If you have the old baffle, repack it with fiberglass packing. Many exhaust makers probably sell or can tell you where to get it. Most megaphones are similiar in size so possibly another make would work. I know Vance & Hines sells them as maybe Kerker may too(not sure about them though) as well as others. R.C. Performance pipes are great pipes and some guys prize them. I have one myself and have owned them in the past. Always worked and held up great. If the carbs are jetted for an open header and you repack it, you will need to lean it out some-added backpressure will richen up the fuel ratio some. If it wasn't, and you run without the baffle, the motor will run lean from less back pressure so richen it a little. I used to go up 1 or 2 on the mains and I think I raised the needles one notch on my smoothbores, so stock carbs may be different but should be close to this. Every header has it's own "sweet spot" so whichever header you use, run it and check the plugs. Carbs may be spot on or they may need to be adjusted some...it's all trial and error. I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to try a cone muffler core for car headers I bought from Summit Racing parts. I think you'd need the 4" cone but measure to be sure. Just get some new exhaust gaskets and replace them...that's all you need to do. Don't see why you'd need to replace studs unless the threadds are messed up. Nuts and washers would be a personal thing...new ones would look new. Exhaust flanges should be good forever unless you want to update to J-model flanges/holders which are smooth and clean up the look.Hope this helps.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 06:56 #33345

• puckaveli
  • puckaveli's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow, sounds like this bike might have some history behind it. I might have to check the VIN history on it.

Unfortunately the previous owner painted the whole exhaust silver and did a poor job of it. I think I might sand it down and give it a proper black painting.

I picked up some packing last night and put it in. I am going to wait until I get the studs and gaskets replaced because I think that's all I would hear at this point is the leak.

The studs are fooked. On 4 of them you can turn the nut and the stud won't spin but the nut will turn but not tighten down. The nuts initially thread on about 4-5 threads deep then just sit and spin. I have a sick feeling those studs will need vise grips to get out.

I'm going to call the shop that did the carb work to see if they kepp any records of settings or anything like that.

Thanks for all the help so far!

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 08:03 #33358

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
If your changing the studs a little heat wouldn't be a bad idea and some vise grips for sure
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 08:56 #33371

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
History? Not so sure about that one. My guess is that the previous owner just put that on the sidecover cause it had some RC parts, or he just likes Russ Collins. Kind of like today where you see #3 on all these cars. Doesn't mean that 30 years from now that someone will think the car was owned by Dale Earnhart. I used to have a Yoshimura sticker on my bike cause of the Yosh pipe I had, but I had not affiliation with Yoshimura. If you do indeed have truw RC parts then consider yourself lucky. Hard to find now days.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 08:59 #33372

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
pic
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.
Attachments:

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 19:02 #33540

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
Russ Collins was one of the many 'characters' in the 70's and early 80's. The drag bikes were largely unregulated machines - single engine, double engine, then triple engine monsters. If you want to see some amazing drag bikes, look at the history of people like Russ Collins, Kenny Ansley, Tom Cristianson, Marion Owens and more.

RC Engineering was one of the premier names in the middle 70's through early 80's. Terry Vance and Byron Himes raced for and worked for Russ Collins. When Russ got out of the motorcycle side, Vance & Hines was formed. Russ went on to race a top-fuel dragster for a few years.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 19:09 #33549

• wireman
  • Visitor
that was the scorcerer in that picture i do believe.;)

RC performance products? + exhaust?'s 22 Mar 2006 19:16 #33554

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr puckaveli!

If after repacking the RC pipe it still sounds to loud for your tastes, I want to put dibs on it if you decide to sell it. :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Page: