• Page:

TOPIC:

Season winding down 09 Nov 2019 07:49 #813745

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
We had our first snow fall a couple weeks ago 5", but it melted and warmed up enough to get out last Sunday, today it may hit 45 F definitely doable, we'll see.
The Mrs has had enough and her bike needs a lot of Winter maintenance starting with new fork seals so I will get started on it first and leave mine in the cold garage for a while.
The KZ needs a bunch of work too , swapping out the old tranny that is finally starting to slip out of 2nd gear for a nice low mile one that I have had soaking in oil for around 6 years B) new 530 chain and sprockets, fresh back tire and a bunch of small stuff I can't think of right now.
Until then I'm hoping to get a few more rides in.
The fall colors were shaping up nicely until the snow hit then it tanked.

Our back yard

Near Millington IL
78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Season winding down 09 Nov 2019 08:58 #813747

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
My insurance runs til Nov 14 but I haven't ridden since late Oct. Too cold for me to enjoy. Lately I've been cleaning and checking my KLR but will be done in another week or so. Then comes a serious internal exam for my red Z1B to find the source of an annoying engine whine. The blue one is in good shape but it has several small oil leaks to clean up, and the brake master cylinder is sticky. My KZ1000 hasn't moved this year so it needs nothing, although I plan to replace the carb internals this winter if I get time.

Edited to add that Mrs hardrock bought a new DR650 this summer so her 1981 KZ550 didn't get a lot of miles and will probably be up for sale next spring. She likes it but she likes the DR much better.

Here is a photo of the herd, minus the KZ1000.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Season winding down 09 Nov 2019 14:46 #813751

• PA_Robert
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
This is the first weekend in NW PA where temps are in the low 30's and below. No snow yet, which is surprising.

I'll ride when I can this winter. I upgraded some gear to make things more comfortable. But it will only be with dry roads and temps above freezing for the previous 24 hours.

There are many places on the side roads around here which ooze water and leave a nice thin layer of ice.

Season winding down 09 Nov 2019 15:27 #813754

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 375
I picked up some cooler-weather (not winter) gear last year: a pair of heavy gloves and an allegedly windproof scarf/balaclava thing to fill the gap between helmet and jacket.

With luck I'll get out tomorrow to give them a try - the Fizzer needs some fresh gas and fuel stabilizer.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Season winding down 09 Nov 2019 16:35 #813758

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah, it pretty much snowed all Halloween for us. Time to take in the garden hoses if they ever thaw out. :)

Great photos as always Jack!

Season winding down 09 Nov 2019 17:55 #813760

• Kofla
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I'm nowhere near ready getting my KZ 1000 in riding condition yet.

Went for a short ride to Nockamixon State Park two weeks ago on my ZX-14. Very nice park and lake, it ranks among one of my favorite lakes to visit. The weather was too cold for my liking. Autumn peak colors were in full swing, various shades of red, yellow and orange.

Last week went to the park, again. Despite the cold weather I decided to visit the lake one more time. I am glad I put on my Revzilla balaclava and freeze-out warm long sleeve shirt. It was a chilly ride. Most trees have shed off their leaves ready for winter.

1978 Kawasaki KZ-1000 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58, BCScott

Season winding down 10 Nov 2019 06:22 #813771

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Great looking bikes hardrock, I wish I could get the Mrs on a dual sport, we are leaving a lot of great roads on the table because of dirt and gravel :( but she is only 5-2" and is use to forward controls, we need to get her a lowered Ninja first :evil:
I know what you mean about frozen hoses Lou, that's on today list before more snow hits tonight.
Those are real nice shots Kolfa! keep up the great work.
Yeah ice is a problem here too, it has started early this year.

yesterday at Buffalo Rock

Old stop over on the I & M Canal trail Utica Il

Allen Park, Ottawa Il
78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kofla

Last edit: by bluej58.

Season winding down 10 Nov 2019 19:21 #813830

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 375
Wonder of wonders, I managed to get out for a quick ride today. B)

Added fuel stabilizer, filled the tank, and went for a quick blast (some town, some highway). Brought her home and parked her in the heated basement. She hasn't complained about it the past few years, so she should be fine. :)

Snow this week, though. Ugh.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Season winding down 10 Nov 2019 20:18 #813835

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
There are not many bikes suitable for 5 ft 2 in ladies, particularly dual sport. Mrs Hardrock has lowered her DR and is shaving the seat to get even lower and she is 5 ft 7 in. I have trouble getting my leg over the KLR because the seat is so much higher than a Z1 and I have serious arthritis in the hip joint.

Beautiful old building bluejay. Reminds me of a school I attended in Gr 7.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Season winding down 12 Nov 2019 04:21 #813888

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595
It's been between 65 and 16 deg.F at home the past week. Weather site sez 17 deg. this AM. We bailed out last week & trailered two bikes to a VJMC event at Crystal River, FL. 55 ~ 80 deg. & some great Ridin' on obscure backroads led by locals. On to Lakeland for a few days to visit friends & a little more Ridin', then head for home. We have "The Wounded Z" resto project waiting for us to keep us entertained this winter. Miss our dogs something fierce...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Season winding down 14 Nov 2019 03:39 #813981

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 166
Just adding in on the charm of changing weather. Since the move I Miss my heated garage!! The new place had a rank amature carpentry job on rafters/support beam. Got that sorted now waiting on the electrician to bring wiring up to code then insulate and drywall. Pleasure chatting with the persons that responded to "parts for sale" but still haven't had to time/space to sort thru the boxes of stuff yet. I cannot spread out items on the garage floor yet because i'll just have to pick them up again so they aren't in the way of progress. I needed a heater for the garage, paid the carpenter for an unseen heater and he brought this mammoth of a heater over. 125K BTU is a bit of overkill for a 550sq ft area. All my projects are in the heated mudroom, next to the Beer fridge. Note the 73 Norton Commando in the background Nerdy, used to be Yellow also.
Attachments:

Season winding down 14 Nov 2019 08:00 #813989

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
With that heater, you could heat the patio or deck as well!
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: