• Page:

TOPIC:

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 10:23 #709839

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29

NakedFun wrote: Hey Ed,

Where did you live? I lived out Wearsvalley Rd about 8 miles from its interesting with the Parkway in Pigeon Forge. I went to UT-Knox. Some day hopefully with in the next 2-3 years move back to Tennessee.

Cory

Hi Cory ;)
I live in "Seymour", about a mile from Chapman Highway ( US 441 ) on Highway 411 or Maryville Highway as is sometimes called.
I can be in Wears Valley...maybe 15- 20 minutes depending on traffic. I ride in Wears Valley a lot during the Summer, I take "Wye" road to Old Walland Highway which runs parralell to the River then up to "Townsend" then take 321 S. ride to highway (??, Cant remember the actual number?) through Wears Valley to Pigeon Forge.
If I dont go there then I take the same route to highway 321 S.except I turn onto Foothills Parkway ( Long before Townsend) over the mountain to "Tallassee" and ride into Maryville the back way.
Regards Cory!!
Ed
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 10:34 #709841

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

ed spangler wrote:

z1kzonly wrote: Hi, Blu, thanks for sharing. Real nice. Has to be REAL nice at fall foliage time!

I gotta say....Blu is spot on!! I live close to the places he mentions, just 10 minutes from Sevierville,maybe 30 minutes to the Dragon etc. Yes, during theFall ( and Summer ) it is AWESOME! Theres the Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Foot Hills Parkway, etc. if you have lots of time, google the "Pressmans House" in Rogersville,TN. beautiful backroads to get there and there in the middle of nowhere?? Theres an entire complex ( Still standing, empty though) that during the late '30's through 50's I think was a totally self sustained small city devoted to teaching Journalists and Reporters! complete with its own power generation and everything! Highway 92, Lots and Lots to experience.
Regards
Ed

So Ed I want to retire to that area .
I may want to pick your brain on local real estate and such
Dave

Hi Dave :)
Some very important points to remember.
In this area there are 3 main counties, Knox, Bount and Sevier. All are Nice, Blount and Sevier are probably the quiteest and most scenic, HOWEVER Property and Vehicle Taxes etc. are CRAZY HIGH in Blount and Knox. Sooooo as Cory would probably "amen", Sevier County is where you want to Look, its a very Large county, all the Local Attractions like "Dollywood", Thousands of Motels and Hotels etc. etc. in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg basically subsidize the county schools , Roads etc. thereby keeping property taxes, vehicle licenses etc. low,,Schools are darn good.in this area To give you. as an example, my parents house and mine are very similar in size rooms etc. I pay around $400 a year total property taxes!!!, my Parents who reside in Knox County ( Actually past tense, both are now deceased) paid almost 3 times that amount because they paid both City and County taxes in Knox county
. Blount County taxes are VERY HIGH. In addittion Vehicle Tags are over $100 each in Blount and Knox, mine are $23 a year.
Vehicle insurance is also cheaper in Sevier county and the list goes on.
There is a wide variety of dwelling types i.e. Log Homes, Traditional homes, manufactured homes etc. so MUCH to choose from.
There are also a couple other nearby counties where you may get much more home for your $$, Jefferson County , Grainger County and Hamblen are also very nice,Hamblen county is more expensive though, along the lines of Blount in cost. Grainger county is a little more "Isolated" ( Very slow pace, very scenic,but fewer opportunities for entertainment though, unless you drive 15-20 miles ) and Jefferson County same to a lesser extent. I believe it would depend on your interests and hobbies and what you do for fun. Movies? Opera? Theatre? Golf? Boating? Museums? Hunting? Fishing? going out to eat? Interestingly , there are an amazing number of fairly authentic Mexican restaurants if you like that? also LOTS of down home Southern cooking , family owned restaurants around all these area. if I know more about what you enjoyed as far as past times ( besides Motorcycling....LOL)..
If I can provide more specific information, please PM me when you want to start looking. Dave
Regards
Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Last edit: by ed spangler.

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 11:05 #709848

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1966
Thanks Ed
Very helpful , but dont want to steal this thread. I will contact you direct.
Thank you
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 11:12 #709849

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Thanks Ed
Very helpful , but dont want to steal this thread. I will contact you direct.
Thank you
Dave

Yes!! :(
My Apologies blu!!!! :ohmy: Got carried away :unsure: . I didnt mean to ramble on!! :blink: One of the things about getting OLD ( ER) I really enjoyed your pics!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
I would like to know more about Blu's ride on BRP!!! Are ya there Blu?? :)
Ed

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 14:01 #709868

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
No apologizes necessary Ed, I was looking at real estate signs while we were down there. great info, Thanks

We rode on the Blue Ridge Parkway from the south end to almost Virginia, I wish I had packed the small tent and kept going but we turned around and hit some side roads back, tried to make it to Boone where Eustace Conway of Mountain Men frame lives and also Johnny Bravo from this forum remember him?
Next time, Too many great roads , too little time :(

The Parkway is beautiful and the road is well kept 469 miles with no stop signs or billboards the whole way B)
The speed limit is 45 or less depending were you are at,I don't remember any speed traps but I'm sure they are there on the weekends.
www.virtualblueridge.com/

During the week we had it mostly to our selves except for the rush hour..
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 14:25 #709870

• NakedFun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99

ed spangler wrote:

Where did you live? I lived out Wearsvalley Rd about 8 miles from its interesting with the Parkway in Pigeon Forge. I went to UT-Knox. Some day hopefully with in the next 2-3 years move back to Tennessee.

Cory

Hi Cory ;)
I live in "Seymour", about a mile from Chapman Highway ( US 441 ) on Highway 411 or Maryville Highway as is sometimes called.
I can be in Wears Valley...maybe 15- 20 minutes depending on traffic. I ride in Wears Valley a lot during the Summer, I take "Wye" road to Old Walland Highway which runs parralell to the River then up to "Townsend" then take 321 S. ride to highway (??, Cant remember the actual number?) through Wears Valley to Pigeon Forge.
If I dont go there then I take the same route to highway 321 S.except I turn onto Foothills Parkway ( Long before Townsend) over the mountain to "Tallassee" and ride into Maryville the back way.
Regards Cory!!
Ed

Thanks Ed! I know where Seymour is and dated a girl from Walland for a short time. I used to run the back roads like "White School Road" out to the "Bloody" Chapman even though I never understood what was so dangerous about it?

Cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 15:08 #709874

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z

NakedFun wrote:

ed spangler wrote:

Cory

Hi Cory ;)
Regards Cory!!
Ed

Thanks Ed! I know where Seymour is and dated a girl from Walland for a short time. I used to run the back roads like "White School Road" out to the "Bloody" Chapman even though I never understood what was so dangerous about it?

Cory

Believe it or not, White School road to P.F. is one of my faves!!
Did you ever see the Covered Bridge in Sevierville?? Not many people know about it and its not a big deal, but its neat.
have you ever ridden "Jones Cove Rd."?? Kind of a scenic back road from Sevierville to back side of Gatlinburg. Really Nice!!
Ed

Last edit: by ed spangler.

The Smokies 07 Feb 2016 15:39 #709877

• NakedFun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
Yep, know about the bridge and Jones Cove. Used to have to learn all those back roads when Tour-ron season came in each year. That was until the tourist info stations started handing out the maps that showed all thee back roads.

Cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• Page: