Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Harley and a Kaw! 23 Apr 2015 19:59 #669360

• KraZyRIDER
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44

swest wrote: Yeah, they're coming out with a electric bike. Caving in to the Libs. They say it can get 300 miles on a charge but then what?
Steve

...aaaah, recharge. I do have to laugh when I'm on an Interstate, pull in for gas and see a car sitting there plugged into a charging station. Not me, Brother! Not me. :whistle:
Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Harley and a Kaw! 23 Apr 2015 20:14 #669361

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92

KraZyRIDER wrote: ...Eeeeh, I have to disagree. Harley's are usually something you grow into. I cut my street teeth on the adventuresome '69 and '70 H1 500's and later a couple of '72 H2 750's. Speed and wheel stands were in by blood! Look at me know, I've owned 2 and still do own 1. But, I never gave up my taste for speed and Kawasaki's undeniably exceptional good looks. That's why I own several.

...And they are also after the younger crowd now with the sweet, in my opinion, good looking 750 V-twins and at an entry level price! I don't think you'll see H-D going away anytime in the near future.

No they aren't going to go belly up anytime soon, but they will need to rebrand themselves at some point. And they can't because their customer base goes insane.

They put water cooling on the cylinder head of a v-twin and it pissed off their customers....

Attachment 2014-Harley-Twin-Cooled-Hig.jpg not found

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.

A Harley and a Kaw! 23 Apr 2015 20:20 #669363

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92

KraZyRIDER wrote:

swest wrote: Yeah, they're coming out with a electric bike. Caving in to the Libs. They say it can get 300 miles on a charge but then what?
Steve

...aaaah, recharge. I do have to laugh when I'm on an Interstate, pull in for gas and see a car sitting there plugged into a charging station. Not me, Brother! Not me. :whistle:

The more realistic situation would be you pull in for gas and while your filling up an EV drives in, swaps its battery, and takes off while your waiting for the credit card receipt...

Your right though "re-charging" wont cut it for most peoples needs.
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

A Harley and a Kaw! 23 Apr 2015 21:24 #669375

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
That's not likely to happen. I had to go through POST training. First responders are taught about the dangers of the batteries and shock hazards. BACON BITS
Steve

A Harley and a Kaw! 23 Apr 2015 22:20 #669378

• KraZyRIDER
  • User

Tyler wrote:

KraZyRIDER wrote: ...Eeeeh, I have to disagree. Harley's are usually something you grow into. I cut my street teeth on the adventuresome '69 and '70 H1 500's and later a couple of '72 H2 750's. Speed and wheel stands were in by blood! Look at me know, I've owned 2 and still do own 1. But, I never gave up my taste for speed and Kawasaki's undeniably exceptional good looks. That's why I own several.

...And they are also after the younger crowd now with the sweet, in my opinion, good looking 750 V-twins and at an entry level price! I don't think you'll see H-D going away anytime in the near future.

No they aren't going to go belly up anytime soon, but they will need to rebrand themselves at some point. And they can't because their customer base goes insane.

They put water cooling on the cylinder head of a v-twin and it pissed off their customers....

Attachment 2014-Harley-Twin-Cooled-Hig.jpg not found

...Some will surly bitch, as they did when they went from a pan to a shovel, a shovel to an Evo. But, just look how many Evo's are on the road today. Time marches on and so will Harley...and the Knuckleheads that ride them. (pun intended) ;)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

Last edit: by KraZyRIDER.

A Harley and a Kaw! 23 Apr 2015 22:23 #669379

• KraZyRIDER
  • User

Tyler wrote:

KraZyRIDER wrote:

Steve

The more realistic situation would be you pull in for gas and while your filling up an EV drives in, swaps its battery, and takes off while your waiting for the credit card receipt...

Your right though "re-charging" wont cut it for most peoples needs.

...Not yet, anyway.
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

A Harley and a Kaw! 24 Apr 2015 09:00 #669409

• apbling
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
TIme may march on, but I believe the Sporty and the V-rod is still not accepted as "true" Harleys..

I'm A-OK with Harley keeping the single pin crank, the rocker boxes w/ push rods and the old technology...but there are some things that are made just so goddamn cheap - like some of their oil pumps and cam chain tensioners. Also there is some videos about victory vs HD and showing the differences.... Why does Harley keep the primary chain that can wear out or you have to adjust etc etc - victory is gear driven between the crank and tranny. I know our KZ's are chain between the crank and tranny, but I don't see too many replacements needed vs HD's.

A Harley and a Kaw! 24 Apr 2015 09:10 #669411

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
The Z1/KZ 1000's are gear driven. I was disappointed when I learned they went to the primary chain. No cam bearings ether just like the other bikes.
Steve