Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coastal West Coast by Versys 24 Feb 2009 17:26 #267892

• inline79
  • inline79's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I hope everyone realizes I Double Speeded the video because it is actually pretty slow, probably <30mph. I think you can only lane split if the traffic is under 15mph or 20mph. Some people were still splitting lanes at 60mph which is a death wish.

There is one car in the video that moves way to one side, which was usually the case. In my opinion Lane Splitting only works if the drivers and bikers both buy into it, which I found they mostly do as you go further north in California...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coastal West Coast by Versys 28 Mar 2009 12:54 #276104

• KZJohn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad you took a spin through our granola state,(what aint nuts is fruits or flakes!),hope you enjoyed it.

Lane splitting is not for the faint of heart! I have done it since I was 18(I'm 45 now). I have bounced off of cement trucks,tankers,a BMW 3 series(HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!),had my foot run over by a SUV,broken many car mirrors,the list goes on. If you don't feel comfortable or at least confident doing it then don't, it's not for everyone.

Coastal West Coast by Versys 03 Apr 2009 18:05 #278184

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
What IS the exact law regarding lane splitting in Terminator-Land ??
I was under the impression you were only allowed to lane split at lights with stopped traffic.
Yes??...No??...What??...More??
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Coastal West Coast by Versys 03 Apr 2009 18:42 #278197

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
It's legal on State highways but has to be done in a "safe and prudent manner" according to CHP. Filtering at a traffic light is regulated by city/county and not legal anywhere AFAIK.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Coastal West Coast by Versys 03 Apr 2009 20:03 #278225

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I'm sorry man, but lane splitting at speed is dumb. Not only is it suicidal - it doesn’t do anything to improve the little respect cars have for bikes. Driving near L.A. several years ago a couple butt heads on bikes were roaring between me (in a shaky, stinkin’ rental car) and the cars in the next lane while I and the other cars were driving 75 mph. I’m quite sure the bikes were going 90+. It took me by surprise as it did most cars, and I was thinking what an ugly mess those idiots would make if one of the cars wasn’t paying attention. Here closer to home (MD) I saw first hand what happens when a butthead on a Honda knocks a mirror off a car with his left hand while holding the handlebar. The bike immediately smashed into the car and sent the butthead sailing down the road and to the hospital. My advice - don’t do it. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Coastal West Coast by Versys 03 Apr 2009 20:11 #278230

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
yeah i dont do the lane splitting thing,i figure everybody has their own little area of the road and i dont want somebody squeezing in on mine either.:S
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Coastal West Coast by Versys 03 Apr 2009 20:12 #278231

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!

Here closer to home (MD) I saw first hand what happens when a butthead on a Honda knocks a mirror off a car with his left hand while holding the handlebar. The bike immediately smashed into the car and sent the butthead sailing down the road and to the hospital.

I LOVE stories with happy endings, Ed. The goofball got his just desserts. Hopefully he's a quick learner and won't be trying any more "Youtube-type tricks" when he gets out of the hospital.:laugh: :laugh:
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• Page: