Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the 1984 KZ700 29 Oct 2018 07:51 #792999

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

650Dude wrote:

loudhvx wrote: If I already had the 700 I might like the twin, but the 700 would be first.
That color combo (also found on other Kz's) is my favorite.

I don't think it's that hard to get parts for (at least not any harder than any other 30-40 year old Kz). Even if you needed internal motor parts, you could just convert it to a 750.

Would a 750 airbox and carbs fit? And if so from what year? The one I am looking at buying has airpods on it. Yuck

I thought you were talking about the one in the photo. A non-running Kz700 missing parts is a different story.

First candidates that come to mind are the 82 Kz750R1 or 83Kz750L3. The earlier L models might fit and maybe even the E model.
Even if the airbox part numbers are different it might be worth looking into those other models since the part number may only reflect a change in cosmetics. The carbs will likely fit from other motors but you would still be doing re-jetting, so it might not be worth swapping carbs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the 1984 KZ700 29 Oct 2018 07:59 #793002

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Airbox. From the diagrams at Partzilla, the KZ700 has the same airbox as the 750-L3/R1 and 750/700 Shaft drive models. I believe these airboxes have a different shape than most of the 750-4 chain drive models. The basic shape is similar, though. I have no idea what kind of fitment issues there would be. The airbox ducts & carb holders are the same for most if not all 750-4 models.

ps: I like the 5.7 gallon fuel tank.

The following user(s) said Thank You: trajectory

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the 1984 KZ700 29 Oct 2018 10:18 #793014

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
The 700 is part of the L model family, which is basically an improved R1. To me these bikes are the best of the 650/750 lot. The engine had been evolved to a high state, as had the chassis. The pegs are slightly rearset and the bars comfortably low. The engine is rubber mounted for low vibration. To my knowledge there are no headaches in terms of mechanical issues. They come with Mikuni BS/CV carbs which some would argue are an improvement over the Keihin CV34's that came stock on the earlier 750's. If nothing more they are easier to service. The ignition advance is built into the ignitor so that's one thing to be aware of in case the bike has a failing spark problem. Pretty sure that could be handled through a Dyna install as necessary though. If the bike is clean I'd buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trajectory

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the 1984 KZ700 29 Oct 2018 13:58 #793038

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

Nessism wrote: The 700 is part of the L model family, which is basically an improved R1. To me these bikes are the best of the 650/750 lot. The engine had been evolved to a high state, as had the chassis. The pegs are slightly rearset and the bars comfortably low. The engine is rubber mounted for low vibration. To my knowledge there are no headaches in terms of mechanical issues. They come with Mikuni BS/CV carbs which some would argue are an improvement over the Keihin CV34's that came stock on the earlier 750's. If nothing more they are easier to service. The ignition advance is built into the ignitor so that's one thing to be aware of in case the bike has a failing spark problem. Pretty sure that could be handled through a Dyna install as necessary though. If the bike is clean I'd buy it.

thank you so much for this. Its really helpful. Mrs says one of my bikes has to go if I get this one. So its between the 700 and this one which I already have. If I get the 700, this has to go

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the 1984 KZ700 15 Jul 2020 23:12 #830784

• trajectory
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Information on these sure is scarce. I picked one up last winter, and have a heck of a time getting information. Best information is that this is a one year only, small bore (HD import beater) KZ750. So far, most KZ750 parts work on this bike, at least mechanically speaking. Limited production, perhaps around only 2000 made? Ours is #1685, and is numbers matching engine and frame. Mileage is currently just a tick over 6500miles.

I started a KZ700 registry, hopefully as a place to consolidate information on these old beauties. Still looking for actual production numbers, HP rating, performance testing from when new, and such.

Anyone who owns one, please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the 1984 KZ700 16 Jul 2020 05:16 #830793

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680

trajectory wrote: Information on these sure is scarce. I picked one up last winter, and have a heck of a time getting information. Best information is that this is a one year only, small bore (HD import beater) KZ750. So far, most KZ750 parts work on this bike, at least mechanically speaking. Limited production, perhaps around only 2000 made? Ours is #1685, and is numbers matching engine and frame. Mileage is currently just a tick over 6500miles.

I started a KZ700 registry, hopefully as a place to consolidate information on these old beauties. Still looking for actual production numbers, HP rating, performance testing from when new, and such.

Anyone who owns one, please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

HP and overall performance will be just a notch behind the GPz750 model. If you look through the factory service manual you can find the HP numbers, compression, etc. www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/GPz750.pdf

No clue where you would get production numbers other than maybe from Kawasaki's US distributor's office, and they are not known to be forthcoming about such information.

• Page: