• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Awesome!
You guys covered some huge distances.
Big round of applause!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Aug 2014 18:04 #643380

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Wow, can't believe it's done! I started organizing the first leg after 650ed suggested thd relay. That was about two and a half years ago! Let's start another relay!
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Aug 2014 11:15 #643498

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511

650ed wrote: Trianglelaguna’s “does anybody here actually ride” posting spurred a thought. Is there at least one KZR member with a running KZ in each of the 48 contiguous states? If there is, would folks be interested in organizing a relay ride in which some token would be passed from rider to rider from state to state throughout all 48 contiguous states? There could be more than one rider in any one state, and they could split up the ride within their state or ride together as they desire. No one rider would need to go much beyond their own state’s border; just far enough to meet the first rider in the next state. The relay could start in one of the states in a “corner” such as Washington State, Florida, Maine, or California and wind its way to the next adjacent state then the next, etc. until at least one rider in all 48 states had passed the token. I left Alaska out because it might be a bit much to ask for someone to make that ride, and Hawaii would present a rather difficult challenge. If there are folks in Canada or Mexico that are interested their provinces could be added as well.

This would not be a race, so there would be no time limit to accomplish it or any pressure to rush. The time schedule for each pass of the token would be coordinated between the riders involved with that “pass.” The token that gets passed from rider to rider could be anything, but it might be cool if it was some document that each rider could put his/her name, state, & date on.

I don’t know if anything like this has been done before, and it may be just a screwy idea that has no merit; it would not be the first of mine that fall into this category. But I thought I would put the idea out there to see if there is any interest. Ed

Thank you Ed for starting this thread :laugh:

Thank you to all the KZRiders / friends and family's that I have met in the 3 years this has been going on, all great folks and all excellent riders .

And a special thank you to Mrs. Bluej you are the best honey :kiss:

I hope we can come up with a way to keep it going, we still have(most of) Canada, Alaska and Hawaii to hit. B)

Jack/bluej58
78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, KZJOE900

Last edit: by bluej58.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Aug 2014 12:33 #643502

• 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Thanks! I'm really pleased that so many folks participated in this relay. I initially hesitated in posting the idea thinking folks might consider it to be a really dumb idea. As a rider in it I got to meet some really nice folks, and I know others did the same. I don't know if, when, or where it continues from here now that all 48 states & Ontario have participated, but if it or a similar relay passes near my neck of the woods I'll be more than happy to participate. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Aug 2014 13:48 #643509

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary - K7GLD

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Aug 2014 14:38 #643514

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Motor Head wrote: Looks like the Lower 48 States have been completed for the Relay.
Thanks to everyone who has been involved in the relay, and special thanks to Paul (Baldy) for going those extra miles to ride Solo from Bishop CA to 4 Corners so we could complete the Lower 48 States. He is the only other rider to make the trek by motorcycle to the Rally in 4 corners, besides my friend Dave and I. Paul rode solo on that Trick KZ of his through some really heavy down pours to make it to the rally. Without his effort, the Flag would have been either stuck in CA or one of us would have had to ride to get it to have it at the Rally.
So where does the Flag go Next??? Also who has it????????? :unsure:

I agree with you regarding Paul and his contribution. HOWEVER, there were many others that went the extra miles. Just because others did not ride as far or ride close to the 48 State conclusion of The Flag Relay does not mean other KZ Riders did not contribute meaningfully. For instance, I trailered out to Omaha, NE then took The Relay Flag and relayed it 970 miles to Jackson, WY. I did not see a rash of volunteers scrambling to ride out to Omaha to help move the flag. I certainly don't see a problem trailering the 400 miles to Omaha across Illinois and Iowa in order to advance The Relay Flag. If you have ever driven or ridden across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska you then can understand and appreciate trailering(if not transporting The Relay Flag). Heck, if I had all those great riding roads/byways between Oregon and South Fork, I would have rode the entire distance as well. Others before me and after(including yourself) also made this Relay happen. EVERY ONE of the KZ RIDERS that attended The Relay Rally whether they trailered or rode to South Fork and Four Corners took prodigious amounts of time, money, and energy to make this happen. Each one deserves recognition and credit for attending the Rally. I also thought of and coordinated The Relay Rally. I don't really care about any credit except that others thought enough of this event to attend and experience the time together as well as help out. As you said to me at The Rally when I mentioned a reason to be at the rally , "Heck, we just look for an excuse/reason to ride." That pretty much sums it up. It is simply good enough reason to just get out and ride no matter the distance or how we arrived. Everyone in the photos attending The Relay Rally in my previous post have literally gone to great lengths to make this special Relay and Rally happen. Thank YOU ALL!

Remember, I have The Flag. I proposed to everyone in attendance that we return the Flag to the KZR Rider, member, Rainman for the time being. I believe he and his wife produced The Relay Flag and then shipped it off to Florida to begin The 2 plus year Relay. This Flag Relay started out and has been labeled a North American Relay. Since Rainman created the Flag, he can decide what to do with it. He can keep it or ship it off to Canadian provinces that have not seen it or Alaska, Hawaii or Mexico for that matter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary - K7GLD

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Aug 2014 17:13 #643530

• 650ed
  • User
Forrest,

Since you have the flag can you can a couple close-up photos of it and post them so we can see the finished product with all the signatures? There was quite a bit of blank space on it when some of us signed it. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks!
Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzcurt

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Aug 2014 17:25 #643536

• kzcurt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Yes Please!

650ed wrote: Forrest,

Since you have the flag can you can a couple close-up photos of it and post them so we can see the finished product with all the signatures? There was quite a bit of blank space on it when some of us signed it. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks!
Ed

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 12 Aug 2014 08:35 #643614

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
I will see about posting a photo of both sides of The KZ Rider Relay Flag. First I am going to finish posting photos of the The Relay Rally. :P

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 03 Sep 2014 19:19 #646174

• 650ed
  • User
Did we ever get close-up pics of the flag after the last riders signed it? I'm thinking it might be nice to show it on the KZRider Home page or thereabouts.

Also, I was thinking about what should happen to the flag now that the relay is completed. I suggest we send it to Stein. After all, without this site, which he provides to us gratis, there would have been no relay.

What do you all think?

Ed

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 03 Sep 2014 20:01 #646182

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

650ed wrote: Did we ever get close-up pics of the flag after the last riders signed it? I'm thinking it might be nice to show it on the KZRider Home page or thereabouts.

Also, I was thinking about what should happen to the flag now that the relay is completed. I suggest we send it to Stein. After all, without this site, which he provides to us gratis, there would have been no relay.

What do you all think?

Ed

I've already expressed it a few times. But while there may be a few who might be deserving of having the Relay Flag. I still think you Ed with the first question that started this whole relay, should hang the Flag either in your garage or another place of your choice. Lots of people put in the extra effort, and all of them would be Flag worthy. Still I think since you started it, that you should end up with it. ;)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 03 Sep 2014 20:23 #646185

• kzcurt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
I'm with you Motorhead. It's nice of you to suggest that Ed, but I think that you should end up with it also,
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,