Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 02 May 2023 17:58 #884144

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973
At the time period our bikes were made welding in Japan  was not as it could have been..
They have come a long way

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: wdhewson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 02 May 2023 18:22 #884148

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
They seemed to do a better job where the welds would be seen but remove a cover and… oof! 
Even on modern bikes.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 03 May 2023 04:23 #884160

• wdhewson
  • wdhewson's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 51
Hi Wookie58,

Yes, the tops of those brackets are spaced away from the frame rails so water etc can get in, so I expect they punched in some drain holes to vent things.  Quite a dirty stream of water came out of those vent hole when I directed the pressure washer to the location of your arrowheads.
Nothing quite like the rip of a Big KZ

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 03 May 2023 04:37 #884162

• wdhewson
  • User
Thanks Blipco.

I can't complain about the ZR7s.

She returns more than 70 miles per Imperial gallon, and the only failure I've had was the front signal stalk rubber mounts, which cost 12$ each to replace.

When I first bought the bike there was a low rpm rattling sound coming out of the instrument cluster.  The dealer gave me a brand new headlight assembly to install, but the rattle buzz remained.

After way too long investigating, it turned out to be the speedometer needle experiencing an axial resonance just at a specific rpm.  I shimmed that axial play out of the needle, and the buzz buzzed off.

It's my only bike with Z-rated radial tires, which I've concluded are unnecessary for her power output, but are perhaps a benefit for stopping her.  I've only had to do one "balls out" stop for a country dog that popped onto the road from a drainage ditch, and the ZR7s can STOP!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 03 May 2023 04:44 #884164

• wdhewson
  • User

At the time period our bikes were made welding in Japan  was not as it could have been..
They have come a long way

Thanks Street Fighter LTD. 

When I saw all those weld whiskers I was reminded of some of those Japanese videos of assembly line workers moving about with a great hustle.  So I expect they had high productivity demands which were more important than hidden whiskers.

Last edit: by wdhewson.

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 03 May 2023 17:30 #884214

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 307
I always clean up the frames by removing welding wire whiskers and splatter beads. For the splatter beads I use a 1/4" punch and hammer. Make sure the punch has a flat surface with a clean edge. Put the punch on the side of the splatter bead and give it a sharp tap with the hammer. The bead usually pops right off cleanly. It's also easier on the sandpaper and your fingers when sanding with the other splatter beads gone.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 04 May 2023 08:15 #884233

• wdhewson
  • User

I always clean up the frames by removing welding wire whiskers and splatter beads. For the splatter beads I use a 1/4" punch and hammer. Make sure the punch has a flat surface with a clean edge. Put the punch on the side of the splatter bead and give it a sharp tap with the hammer. The bead usually pops right off cleanly. It's also easier on the sandpaper and your fingers when sanding with the other splatter beads gone.

Thanks Kelly,

I chiseled off a few splatter balls already.

As is the case with this lousy Spring weather, my progress slowed again.

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 20 May 2023 14:18 #884983

• wdhewson
  • User
A cold rainy day motivated me to do some indoors work, and got busy of the 1977 KZ1000 frame.  After pressure washing I gave the frame a strong scrub down with warm water with detergent and an industrial grade coarse ScotchBrite.  The factory paint was more durable than anticipated  and the pad gave it a nice etch, but not often down to the steel.

Then a rub down with a clean cloth and hydrocarbon heptane based brake cleaner.

That Armor Coat gloss black paint goes on very well, even with a cheap brush, and levels very quickly.  I can't spray as well as this paint goes on.  But it does take more than 24 hours at room temperature to cure to the point of handling.   And nearly a month for a complete cure.   

I'm sure I missed a few spots, but black is an easy touch up.

Next I'll face that lump of an engine.  

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 20 May 2023 15:22 #884990

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
It’s tedious cleaning and painting the frame but so worth it when the job is finished. 
I wish I used that paint when I did my last project. I used spray paint which is easier but not as good as a brush on paint.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 20 May 2023 17:58 #885000

• wdhewson
  • User

It’s tedious cleaning and painting the frame but so worth it when the job is finished. 
I wish I used that paint when I did my last project. I used spray paint which is easier but not as good as a brush on paint.

Thanks blipco, these modern paints are pretty good.  And you can get a thick coat in one application, which is why the cure rate is so long.  I don't know if that Armor Coat is total oxygen cured alkyd or polyurethane which is moisture in air cured.  I'll google it.

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 20 May 2023 20:53 #885009

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
I googled and thought I saw polyurethane but double check. And only sources in Canada came up. I was on my way outa the house but anyways, I don’t need it now but it would be good to know about.
When I resurrected a ZR7S I bought off of Craigslist (It looked alright but it’s history was unknown) I wasn’t sure how much effort I should put into non mechanical items. But now that I see how much I like the bike and how well it runs, I just may strip the bodywork off it and spruce up the frame like I should have done in the first place.

Trying to Rescue a Late 1970s (1977??) Kawasaki KZ1000 22 May 2023 05:35 #885062

• sf4t7
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Noticed the rag type plugs you used in all your engine openings, here's something I found to work.  I saw some soft rubber "practice golf balls" at wal-mart, it turns out they are the perfect size to plug the intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder head with a nice tight fit. And they are cheap.  (I have no idea why I was in the aisle with the golf items, must have been looking for something else ! )

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61