Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Free Z650F2 09 Feb 2023 10:40 #879946

• Bevelhead
  • Bevelhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
Been a busy week, while waiting for the frame to be powder coated at Triple S in Bingley. I painted a few small parts that I didn't take to be powder coated, including the swing arm. I didn't take the latter as it was in good condition, with little rust and perfect bearings. The bearings would have to be removed, and no doubt destroyed in the process, as if it went for powder coating, as in the oven the grease will melt and perhaps ruin the finish. Used etch primer followed by a few coats of smooth black Hammerite, which gives a hard wearing finish, similar to powder coating.

I've also cleaned up the points cover, which had some deep scratches, still got to polish the other engine covers, but at least they are in good condition. Also had the cam cover vapour blasted, which cleaned it up, but not so much that it looks new, as that would make it stand out compared to the rest of the engine. 

I'm waiting for a big order from Z-Power to arrive, along with some stainless fasteners for the engine. Also found someone on Ebay who makes new side panels from ABS, which have stronger than OE mounting lugs. Was cheaper than some of the used side panels on Ebay too.

Should have the new stainless engine bolts finished by Saturday, while the rear wheel and engine spacers have been replicated in stainless. 

Cam cover before

After

Spacers old and new

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Free Z650F2 14 Feb 2023 13:44 #880190

• Bevelhead
  • User
Collected the frame from the powder coaters, and got my nuts welded.. on the end of the 10mm stainless bar which will become the new engine bolts. Next they had to be put in a lathe and the heads skimmed.

Protecting the frame before attempting to put the engine in.. or rather put the frame over the engine..

With the help of a mate, we got the engine into the frame without any drama, I don't know how I'd manage that without help. The clutch and alternator covers need to be polished, but the latter has a cross head bolt which refuses to come out, even using my impact driver which usually does the trick. Will try heat when I have time. Found a small split in one of the inlet carb rubbers, so ordered a new set, which haven't arrived yet, along with various fasteners for the engine.

While most of the nuts and bolts on the bike are being replaced with stainless. The bolt heads I file and polish..

The Free Z650F2 07 Mar 2023 12:27 #881210

• Bevelhead
  • User
The new ABS replacement side panel, has stronger lugs to hopefully prevent the failures in the original ..

Decided the rims were too rusty to reuse, so they will have to be replaced along with the spokes..

Yokes back on the bike, new bearings and all fasteners are stainless, fitted new chrome covers to the clocks, both upper and lower, the bike had black upper bezels originally.

The rear mudguard was damaged and rusty, as well as being heavy, it wasn't going back on the bike. Therefor I made a card template which I then made in 3 mm stainless plate.

The Free Z650F2 07 Mar 2023 12:31 #881211

• Bevelhead
  • User
Next it needed a new rear lamp, so I bought a used one from a Kawasaki ZR7, which is also used on other bikes, such as the ZX6R and ZX9R. Once again made a card template and then the real thing, this time in 1.2mm stainless, as thats all I had to hand... I will paint this bracket satin black..

The rear wheel adjusters had seen better days, and since it would take too long to have them chromed or whatever, I had a new pair made in stainless steel. Just been to polish them before they go back on the bike.

The front disc has now been spaced out to allow a 4 pot Brembo to fit, using a spacer with a spigot. To ensure I could still use the speedo drive, the hex bolts which bolt the disc to the hub have to changed for countersunk bolts. I've ordered Ti bolts, they were cheaper than the stainless equivalent.

The Free Z650F2 07 Mar 2023 12:37 #881213

• Bevelhead
  • User
The new alloy rims from Italy should have arrived by now, but there's some problem, so have to wait..

Time to start the tedious job of prepping the bodywork for paint. I'd much prefer to have my local painter respray the bike, but his lead time will be months, therefore my paintjob may be temporary until I get to the front of the painters long queue. Then again, if it turns out ok, I may leave it as is..

Made a start with the tail piece..

The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

The Free Z650F2 16 Mar 2023 13:49 #881620

• Bevelhead
  • User
During a fairly warm day last week, sprayed the Candy red on the tail piece and side panels. The tank needs lots of work, so haven't painted it yet, as its been raining ever since.

The new alloy rims finally arrived from Italy, so laced up the front wheel no problem, but I've been sent the wrong spoke set for the rear, so have to wait until the correct spokes turn up.

Wrong spokes

Filler cap seal has seen better days..

Rebuild the front Brembo with new stainless bolts.

The Free Z650F2 31 Mar 2023 09:56 #882221

• Bevelhead
  • User
A sunny day meant it was time to spray the bodywork with Spraymax 2K clear top coat, it went well, apart from a fly getting stuck on the tank.. its the price to pay for having to paint outside. Put two coats on the side panels and tail section and three coats o the tank, before the can ran out.. However, while it looked good, close up the 'orange peel' finish was clear to see. Therefore, the paint had to be 'cut back', starting with 2500 grade wet and dry sand paper, followed by rubbish compound, then cutting polish to bring back the shine to the top coat. A lot of work, doing it all by hand..

New badges stuck on with 3M VHB tape..[img] i.imgur.com/SkeXtTD.jpg[/img ]Along with a new filler cap. Tank still needs more polishing in this pic..[img] i.imgur.com/JZ6RXDz.jpg[/img ]  
The following user(s) said Thank You: azman857

Last edit: by Bevelhead.

The Free Z650F2 10 Apr 2023 08:51 #882853

• Bevelhead
  • User
Finished rebuilding the wheels, had Avon tyres fitted, and so got the bike back on its wheels again. Rear shocks are YSS, and my next task is to refit the wiring loom, which I;ve rewrapped. The original switch gear was broken, so fitted new aftermarket switches.. of course the wires don't match etc..

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Wookie58

The Free Z650F2 11 Apr 2023 10:19 #882920

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
Man, that’s looking good! 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

The Free Z650F2 18 Apr 2023 12:57 #883414

• Bevelhead
  • User
Fitted Renthal grips and Oxford bar ends, that I had left over from another project, then spent ages removing the black finish on the Brembo brake lever, so now it more closely matches the original clutch lever.

The Delkevic stainless exhaust arrived today, soon had it on the bike. 

The electrics have been a pita, still got a couple of wires that go nowhere in the headlight, but tomorrow will put power into the harness, and see what works and what doesn't. 

The Free Z650F2 28 Apr 2023 13:39 #883917

• Bevelhead
  • User
I replaced the aftermarket RH switchgear I had fitted with an old one from a Z1000A1, which is almost the same as the original. With that done, I tried to start the bike for the first time since the day it arrived.  But sadly I had the exact same issue.. no spark.

The bike now has new coils, leads and plugs along with new condensers for the points. The latter being the cause of the problem, or so I thought. I traced power going through the kill switch, on to the coils and finally down to the points.. all seemed ok. Yet still no spark.

Even if the timing was way out, I should still get a spark, but no.

So I gave up for the day, to drink tea and ponder what the issue should be.  Its either something very simple or very complex.. but then how complex can points ignition be?

Perhaps I should just give up and order a dyna S ignition system and throw the points in the nearest river..

The Free Z650F2 28 Apr 2023 13:50 #883918

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Maybe the points have short.

Attachments: