Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 05 Nov 2021 17:30 #857474

• azman857
  • azman857's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Just finished what was started last night. rebuilding the fork tubes. I didn't have a 19mm bolt and nuts to get the inside tube loose. Lowes didn't have metrics past 12mm. I had a 19mm wrench with me and lo and behold, a 3/4" fits perfect! A bolt nut and stopnut later, I assembled the fixture and apart comes the fork insides, easy peasy. New fork seals installed and forks assembled to where they need fork oil next. The PO sheard off the front fender mount bolt in eash lower slider. drill and easy out time. Going to install roller bearings in the steering neck next. I'll try to take pics this time.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 06 Nov 2021 22:57 #857552

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Didn't do much tonight. Drilled and e-z outed the 2 sheared fender bolts in the forks. Due to leaky fork seals they were well lubed. Natrually it was one in each lower.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 12 Nov 2021 18:06 #857863

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Well... got the forks new seals installed and reassemble them in the yokes. The left lower is way away from where it should be. Nuts! Bent tube! This morning the other frame donated it's fork legs and got them disassembled for cleaning and new seals. Thank goodness it's not a big deal to do. Hardest part is finding the time to do it . I gave the "new" tubes a quick check and they seem to be straight.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 14 Nov 2021 20:54 #857950

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Installed the straight fork tubes from the '81 CSR frame I have. New fork seals. Looked at the schematic to learn how to bypass the turn signal controller unit and the reserve light unit.Seems I can just toss the Light Checker. This is good because I can too the bracket that is under the battery holder that holds one of those units and another unit. Gotta make a bracket for the 775 rec/reg since the mounting holes are wider. I'll just use a length of flat aluminum stock about as wide as the unit and it will have 3 holes in it. One of the normal holes for mounting of the flatsock and the unit ,the second hole will be countersunk for a countersunk screw for holding just the barstock using the other threades hole on the battery tray. The 3rd hole on the barstock will be threaded to hold the other end of the 775 V/R. It will be wider than the battery holder but not that much.
Attachments:

Last edit: by azman857.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 30 Mar 2022 21:52 #864596

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Goodness! I haven't updated this project in quite a while. Progress has been made in rear shocks (Ikon 7610's) and seat installed. Found out I didn't have all the shims needed for the valve adjustment. Also needed new O-rings since I took the oilpan off to deep clean and who knows how old those old seals were. Soooo new seals and valve shims were ordered from Z1 ent. earlier this week and arrived in the mail today! Since the oilpan is off, I've decided to take the ZR7 starter clutch out of the 750R1 I had put in there for that project and put it in this engine. It means that the Rt side cover needs to come off now. Oh well. I can check out the contition of the clutch too. This engine is 40 yr old and it's been a decade or 2 since this motor has been run so again who knows what condition it's in. I have yet to get to the carbs to clean them. I do have the rebuild kits so I just have to get motivated to do it. I'll take some new pictures to post later.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 08 Apr 2022 21:47 #865143

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Well I got the ZR7 starter clutch out of the R1 engine last night. Got the stock SC out of the 750H and the ZR7 SC mounted but not fully installed in the 750H. I sort of measured the 2 before installing and they are the same length, gear to the other end. I would even say the same gear is used. It's easier to install the SC with the gear off and installed later after it's in the drive chain and just twist the gear in the main body. Just make sure the little spacer/washer is in the main body first. As of taking the nut off the secondary shaft, I just used a socket on a manual impact. A couple taps with a hammer and it was loose. No drive chain, no wrench on the crankshaft to hold it in place. I think I did the same thing when I put it in the R1 engine. I'm using a Haynes manual for guidance. I used a cheater bar (an old extra long fork tube from an A75 BSA) on the clutch hub nut. It was tight. I'll finish this tomorrow with new gaskets and o rings. Next is wiring. Bypassing or just removing unneeded electronic moduals. Mounting a digital speedo/tach instrument. Buy a battery and insurance and go riding! It's getting warm around here! I'll try to remember to take some pics.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 09 Apr 2022 22:26 #865197

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member

Tonight the Starter Clutch swap is complete! I made an inaccurate statement  yesterday. The gears are not the same. The ZR7 ring is smaller where it goes into the clutch. The pics are as the LTD stands tonight. After the SC was installed the oil pump and clutch were reinstalled and the cover got it's gasket stuck on the cover and greased where it meets the case in case it needs to be removed in the future. Went to install the oil pan and found out I didn't have a gasket. I thought about putting the pan from the R1 on ( it has a good gasket on) but I couldn't find a location for the oil cooler that I was happy about. I went to ebay to order a gasket kit and braided brake lines front and rear. A new rear master cylinder because the old one is rusted solid. I will work on the wiring until the parts come in. Enjoy the pics.
Attachments:

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 12 Apr 2022 23:03 #865325

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Went to ebay and ordered a bunch of parts a few days ago. Checked the tracking for all of them and they all came from Fullerton CA even though they were all from different stores. Right now they are all in Phoenix. Usually that means I will get them tomorrow! WOOHOO! Went looking for the carb kits I thought I had and found them! Now If I could just find the allen head fastener kits for the carbs and engine cases....I hope the carb diaphrams are in good shape.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 13 Apr 2022 22:14 #865388

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Well nuts. 4 Items were expected to show up today. 2 did. The front braided brake lines and the 3 sets of brake pads. Tracking said they were loaded in the truck for delivery. I was expecting a rear master cylinder and braided brake line too. I guess that truck didn't leave the yard. Tomorrow is another day.
I did fit up, not install, the front brake lines. The upper line is long for the bars. I'd rather have that than too short. I found a speedo and speedo drive for this bike. I just need to find a drive cable somewhere in my stash. I'll take some pics when it's all installed.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 19 Apr 2022 23:04 #865801

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
I'm still waiting for 2 items to show up. 1 is the brakeline between the rear mastercyclinder and the brake caliper. After about a week of waiting for the "shipped" notice to appear, I sent an email,and rattled their cage asking what's the deal? they answered that they will get it out in a day or 2. They did.I'm still waiting for it to show up. The other Item is a gasket kit. It will be here late next week. I need the pan gasket to get that sealed up and put the exhaust on. The cam cover gasket to seal that up. That and the cam chain tensioner.

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 01 May 2022 11:23 #866474

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Gasket kit came in and oil pan went on. Exhaust was installed. Once I stacked 2 bricks and a section of 2X4 on top near the end of the muffler, it made attaching the everything at the engine end so much easier. I'm thinking that before installing the valve cover. on to pour some oil on the valve gear. Give it some lube soak in. Today, I hope to get to the carbs and clean then. 

An '82 KZ 750 LTD saved or Damn FB Marketplace! 02 May 2022 16:54 #866568

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member

Before and after oilpan and exhaust install.
Attachments: