Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 Project 12 Nov 2020 04:51 #838369

• Ciarán
  • Ciarán's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm not in an immediate panic to source a tank but it will hold up most other work. I could look at sourcing new shocks to get the bike's stance closer to right but I think that's a bit cart before the horse.

I've some work to do on my other project bike over the weekend so I'm in no immediate rush.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Project 19 Nov 2020 12:46 #838639

• Ciarán
  • User
So coincidentally I ordered a replacement tank for my other project bike - a Yamaha XJ600. Turns out the red is a near perfect match. I'll size it all up at the weekend but after a quick measure up with the tape measure I think the XJ600 tank may fit quite nicely. It's not the world's most beautiful tank but it's a big improvement in many ways. It doesn't rise as high above the front mounts, it is approx. 4 inches narrower at its widest point. It's also longer but I actually think that for someone my height that may work well if I go for clip-ons.

The KZ is sitting for now pending sorting out its paperwork and while I try and resolve an electrical issue on the XJ - pic of the new tank sitting on the XJ also attached.
Attachments:

KZ650 Project 01 Dec 2020 15:37 #839273

• Ciarán
  • User
I doubt anyone on here is in Ireland bar kzstreetfighter71 - who already has his hands full - but I'm considering offloading this project.

My main issue is that I'd have to hack the subframe to bits and weld a new hoop on to have any hope of fitting a new tank and having it sit anyway close to right.
I don't mind the idea of more minor projects but the idea of hacking the frame apart and making a new subframe is way beyond me - and is an expense I'm not willing to take on to have someone else do it.

The idea behind getting this bike was for something that was more of a cosmetic job - that wouldn't require as much in depth work as my XJ600. Given I can't source and original fuel tank either I'm stuck high and dry in terms of returning the bike closer to a stock/cafe look.