Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 21 Jul 2020 23:13 #831184

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
If selling is not an option maybe advertise the parts on here in the “ for sale “ section and eBay them also. It’s a hassle but the few quid you get them for will help the bike fund and it’s nice to know they are goin to good use some where and by the looks of it there are some choice parts on there. To upgrade from standard running gear if that’s the way you want to go a few things will have to be budgeted for depending on how far from standard you want to move. There are a host of Japanese z1 and z1000 builders on you tube and where I’m personally getting my inspiration for my current build from, both in cafe and street bike form. At the end of the day after the bike has lost all its extras and weight you have to decide you to cut the frame or not, take your time and do your research as coming back to standard is a chore and there are way to many chopped frames and butchers projects that never see the light. Search the past projects, learn from what was done before and use what you like an ask the technical questions in the appropriate form section as they arise, there are a fair few here that will guide you as you work.
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 21 Jul 2020 23:21 #831185

• Kawa KZ1000
  • Kawa KZ1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
What builders are you watching Streetfighter? I've seen a number of builder channels but nothing about KZ1000's. Mostly Honda CBS.

My plan was definitely to strip the fairings off and sell them. I'm sure someone would like the original Vetter fairings. I know I'm going to catch hell for stripping down a survivor bike. If someone wants to buy mine and save me the guilt I'd be down.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 21 Jul 2020 23:53 #831187

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
Not necessarily build channels but built bikes that you can get inspiration from, a lot are actually in Japanese so impossible to search for. Its morte about seeing what they have done and then searching out how they did it. Selling up and buying a less polished bike is an option if you can swing it but if you cant them you OWN the bike, its yours to do with as you see fit, just honer where its been and where its going and start what you finish and you will be good with the bike gods.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 00:02 #831188

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
Feel free to private message if your looking for links. Im in the middle of a full rebuild my self so ill be posting the build in the coming weeks. I had a build thred on here about 10 years ago but the pics are gone from it, pics are below.
Attachments:

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 09:37 #831210

• Kawa KZ1000
  • User
Thank you again Streetfighter. I'm definitely trying to honor this bike and the culture by not doing anything that would be considered an art project bike or dangerous. I'm not trying to re-engineer the bike. I'm trying to do the kinds of mods riders would have done when these bikes were new back in the late 70's/early 80's. Again this is the platform I have. I'm not trying to offend the purists but I think I've chased them away from this thread unintentionally by wanting to do stuff to the bike I bought.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 09:46 #831212

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Usually what ends up happening in these threads is everyone who doesn't like what you are doing will express their opinion at the beginning and then won't comment any more unless you ask questions about mechanical stuff. Like engine diagnosis, carb work, etc.

I tend to agree with 650Ed's thoughts, but I can sympathize with people who customize their bikes more extensively than I would. That being said I'd rather see you here and posting and getting good advice than get bad (or no) advice and give up on the project, selling it in pieces. A modified KZ on the road is better than a pile of parts on craigslist. I don't have the experience others do so I will just be spectating.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 10:19 #831214

• Kawa KZ1000
  • User
I get it Matt. Had I known better what to look for I'd have a bike that needs less customization. If it already had the right front and rear end I'd probably just be doing services, changing the bars and gauges along with some other lesser items and calling it good. My inexperience shafted me here.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 10:52 #831215

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
No need to apologize. It is your machine and your money.

There are many ways to approach what you want. You can go radical with modern suspension and a highly modified frame and a highly modified engine. Twenty thousand dollars later, you will have an old bike that can pretty well hang with some recent 600cc sport bikes, at least until things get really twisty.

On the other hand, you could substantially change the appearance and improve the ride and handling with a minimum of cost and butchery.
How about a front end from a contemporary GPz 1100? Add some Race Tech cartridge emulators and some new springs. Huge improvement.
Add a light weight, but stronger swingarm from a GS 1000, or even a ZRX 1100 and some top shelf shocks. Big improvement.
Remove the touring accessories. Add some lower handlebars. Make a custom seat. Add some rear set foot controls. Huge changes without butchery.
Your bike and money, your call.

If you were proposing chopping up a first year Z1 or an S1, that would be different. A CSR is not rare, collectible, or even special. What you propose is akin to customizing a 1989 Honda Civic.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawa KZ1000

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 11:18 #831218

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
Just as TexasKZ said the ZRX 1100 is the near perfect rear end and front too if you can get your hands on one, its the way i wound go if i were to start another project, Try if you can and build around your frame , the saw should be a last option, that way if you want to change your style and look the options are always there. First thing is ride her till the winter, get to know how she is now and what you would like her to be.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 11:28 #831221

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Enter my 2 cents worth on this subject. Not wanting to hurt anyones feelings, but I don't believe an '81 KZ-1000 CSR is on the radar screen for becoming a collectable motorcycle at least in the near future. Not having all the details on your motorcycle, such as what you paid for it and actual mileage, leaves a lot out of my decision making process, but here is the truth. I have seen many people driven by good intentions start a project. They begin with a nice bike, or car and start spending money and they soon find out they need more money. It is so easy to spend more money! After a while they drift away from the project, usually after they have ruined a good stock vehicle and end up selling it for pennies on the dollar walking away with a sour taste in their mouth and a much lighter wallet than when they started.

I can't tell from the pictures, but if that bike you have is as nice as it looks, I would leave it alone. Keep it in good shape and years from now it may turn out to be a desirable motorcycle. If you don't care to do that, or can't afford it, then sell it to a buyer who wants it. In the meantime keep your eyes open for potential project bikes that someone else started, but gave up on. They are out there and all you have to do is have some patience and an ear to the rail. Years from now people are going to ask why guys in our time ruined old cars and bikes by chopping and modifying them. Just remember, once you bring out the saw and cutting torch you can never go back. Many years ago I, like you with the Kawasaki, bought a very nice old '35 Chevrolet standard coupe with the thought of making it into a street rod. Great body and all stock. Funny thing happened, just when I was going to start the project I discovered I didn't have the heart to tear into the old girl. I reinstalled what I had taken off and sold it to a guy who wanted it just the way it was. Made a few bucks off the deal and moved on, but I was glad I didn't mess up that old Chevrolet.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 11:44 #831222

• Kawa KZ1000
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: No need to apologize. It is your machine and your money.

There are many ways to approach what you want. You can go radical with modern suspension and a highly modified frame and a highly modified engine. Twenty thousand dollars later, you will have an old bike that can pretty well hang with some recent 600cc sport bikes, at least until things get really twisty.

On the other hand, you could substantially change the appearance and improve the ride and handling with a minimum of cost and butchery.
How about a front end from a contemporary GPz 1100? Add some Race Tech cartridge emulators and some new springs. Huge improvement.
Add a light weight, but stronger swingarm from a GS 1000, or even a ZRX 1100 and some top shelf shocks. Big improvement.
Remove the touring accessories. Add some lower handlebars. Make a custom seat. Add some rear set foot controls. Huge changes without butchery.
Your bike and money, your call.

If you were proposing chopping up a first year Z1 or an S1, that would be different. A CSR is not rare, collectible, or even special. What you propose is akin to customizing a 1989 Honda Civic.

TexasKZ this is very much in the vein of what I'm looking for. I dont have any problem spending money but I feel those kinds of mods take away from the character of what the bike is and away from the intention of what I'm after. Your other advice is right up my alley and just what I've been looking for. Thank you.

1981 KZ1000 CSR Project 22 Jul 2020 21:08 #831248

• Mc Tavish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Kawa KZ 1000,
I hope you don't think I'm having a go or trying to rain on your parade as I'm not.
The bike you have chosen to replicate a Toecutter's gang members bike or even a Goose bike is so far removed from the real thing that it will never even half resemble the real thing. It's way too new and vastly different styling and set up. Engine, forks, bodywork, gauges and more ad infinitum.
Most of the bikes in Toecutter's gang were 1977 z1000's, although there were a smattering of Honda 750/4's and I think I may have seen a green Laverda Jota!
I like what some others here have said about selling it on in it's current form then tracking down a 77/78 z1000.
I know they are pricey but you will have a period correct base to start from and I think in the long run it wont cost much more than trying to turn what you already have into the same thing.
Just think, you will be able to say you have a Ridgey Didge Aussie Toecutter bike.:) :)
Good luck with whatever you decide. I will follow with interest.
1978 z650C
Attachments: