Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starting all over. Again! 19 May 2014 23:02 #633043

• azman857
  • azman857's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
:huh: Let's start at the beginning. Back in '96, I was given the remains of an '81 KZ650H. The CSR model. It was missing a piston and rod. I never did anything with it. Acquired a second KZ650, A "B" model with the famous 'duckbill' and rear drum brake, but a non runner as well and again was giving it a home. Some where along the way bought a KZ750 engine. Well, about 2-3 yrs ago made a trip to Phoenix to trade a GS 1000 for a '77 KZ650 with a rear disc brake which is what I wanted all along. Well the "B" had a title so I was going to swap swing arms and make some plate to mount the rear master cylinder for the brake (I don't have a welder) and make it all work. Interest waned, life got in the way or other priorities came about, what ever it's called the project stopped a few years. I broke down and and did what it took to get title for the rear disc brake frame. Swapped the swing arm back in and installed the original 650 engine in.
Well, as many of you know, looking in Craigslist can be evil. There was this '81 KZ750 engine listed. I've wanted a later case to build my idea of the ultimate KZ650 engine. You know, Hyvo cam chain, electronic ignition and 750 carbs and head. I went to see this engine and it had the factory oil cooler on it. The price was right so I got it. After a couple days thinking about it, I decided to just install this engine as is. Sure I got to make brackets for the oil cooler. That's part of making the bike "mine". I just finished a XS650 SG project a couple months back so I'm primed for this one. That and having these frames/engines kicking around here the last 20 yrs, it's about time I did something with them!
The bike sits now with the 750 engine with it's oil cooler hanging limp in it, Rear disc brake swing arm and wheel back in. I need to rebuild the carbs, install the starter, alternator and electronic ignition system to make the engine whole. More story and picture to follow later.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting all over. Again! 20 May 2014 04:52 #633054

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Sounds great. Can't wait to see some pics. Are you in Arizona?
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Starting all over. Again! 20 May 2014 05:58 #633057

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
you gotta get us some pics of this thing man !!!!!!!!!!

would really love to see what your creating :evil: .

keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Starting all over. Again! 20 May 2014 15:31 #633127

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Kaw-a-holic, I'm south and a touch east of you in Tucson. 531blackbanchee, I'm born and raised in Tulsa OK! Small world isn't it? Anyways I'm going to try to upload some pictures of this beast.

First pic is with the 650 engine with a Yosh pipe mocked up. Looked cool I thought
Second pic is with the 650 engine out, I thought I had pics of the 750 engine in. Hmm, gonna have to remedy that later.
I don't know why the last pic is in twice.
Some more details as it sits and the direction its going to go. Fenders came from the '81 650 H (CSR) model. I think they look sportier than the longer "touring" fenders on the "B" or "C" models. Electricals and electronics will also be from the "H". H-4 headlight. Parking lights on all 4 corners. Maybe smaller aftermarket lights. Triple disc brakes. The 750 engine because its got the oil cooler and it would be easier to get going. That's all for now.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
Attachments:

Last edit: by azman857.

Starting all over. Again! 20 May 2014 21:36 #633214

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Here she is as she sits now with the '82 KZ750 engine
Attachments:

Starting all over. Again! 22 May 2014 06:13 #633417

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
love that front end !

tulsa eh,i work at 44th. & memorial.

small world indeed.

beefing that engine up might mean it's time to beef up that swingarm :evil: :whistle: ...

keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Starting all over. Again! 22 May 2014 15:45 #633513

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
I spent my childhood near 15th and Memorial, so small world indeed. Yeah the original fender looked like a touring fender on a sport bike. Rear one too so on went the "H" fenders. Way better look. I'm not an aggressive rider so perhaps I can get away with the swingarm as it is.
I've been polishing the sprocket and alternator covers. Not to a high shine, but enough to get the minor scratches out and make the deeper one less deeper.

Last edit: by azman857. Reason: more info

Starting all over. Again! 24 May 2014 19:22 #633841

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Got to looking at the carbs and throttle cables. Seems the new throttle assembly is different. Where as the old cable ends used a screw threads and nuts fitting to hold it in place the new does not. It uses cable tension and housing length to hold it in a barrel. Since I'm using the old style throttle cable I need to change the fitting on the carb rack. No problem, I'm going to make a new fitting by using the old fitting for a pattern where it attaches to the carb rack and the cable end will be a hole with a cable slot instead of a barrel. There is enough cable for the throttle and carbs and housing for mounting. Pics and more later.
Pics 1. The new cable holder. The others are of polished covers temp installed to see how they look. Does anyone know if the late KZ/early GPZ cases were machined to take the kickstarter like '80 and later KZ 650 cases were? I don't want to take the clutch cover off without a new gasket handy. I have a kickstarter assembly and clutch cover ready when I do get the gasket. It's a good thing to have when the battery is low or just "cool factor". The covers look the same screw placement wise. I'm just hopeing the machining is there to install the kickstart hardware.
Attachments:

Last edit: by azman857.

Starting all over. Again! 26 May 2014 10:11 #634035

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
pics and more info above

Starting all over. Again! 27 May 2014 05:02 #634131

• 81-KZ750eTC-01
  • User
  • Long term,Green Bleeder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have to check out some pictures in my manual. i plan to pull mine down a bit--starter clutch again. You really dont need a gasket Yamabond will work fine to seal it up. When you want to get the cover off, a good few raps with a rubber hammer, or a wood piece against folded towel,down or up on the cover will crack it loose.... you need a bike stand for your ride. Either wheel off ground .......pics for you........Ray+KAZU the Staffie....
1975 Mazda Rotary Truck daily driver, KAZU's Dad, 2 big bikes left, 6 RC bikes still.........
Attachments:

Starting all over. Again! 27 May 2014 06:16 #634136

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

azman857 wrote: ........... I don't want to take the clutch cover off without a new gasket handy. I have a kickstarter assembly and clutch cover ready when I do get the gasket. ......

You are a smart man. Use a gasket; it's there for a reason. Also, check the Kawasaki Service Manual to see if and where a small amount of sealant is required. On the KZ650 there is one small spot near the rear of the gasket on the engine case side where sealer is required. This is where the upper and lower engine cases meet and the sealant is used there to seal the spot between that seam and the gasket. The image below shows the sealant area for the KZ650-C1 clutch cover. I have used this method and never had a leak. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Starting all over. Again! 04 Nov 2014 21:28 #652919

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
After a very hot AZ summer, the nights are cooling off rapidly. I acquired a Haynes KZ750 shop manual and now I have to get a '81 KZ650 "H" wiring loom to work with a '70's"B" instrument panel. Using a KZ750 wiring diagram as a guide. Not impossible but, a challenge with the different connectors. Let the slicing and splicing begin! Now where did that "H" instrument panel go?
Looked at and somewhat cleaned the carbs. I'm sure I'm gong to go through them again after I get 4 carb kits. I looked at the air filter rubbers and they are beginning to harden up. Can anyone up a less expensive alternative to new ones? Air filter side, not the carb mounts.
Alice Cooper's show on the radio, artificial sun switched on, shop manual open. Let the wrenching start!

• Page: