Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starting all over. Again! 01 Apr 2015 12:51 #666073

• azman857
  • azman857's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Been working on the wireing and have been making some progress. Taillight, ignition switch and Left switches are complete, Console lights and right side switches(W/ headlight on-off switch) to go. Using a buss strips to check out the circuits. Not permanant so corrections can be made.
On the air filtration side, I have 2 airboxes fron 750's and one from a 650. The 650 box fits best, but the holes for the carb tubes are smaller not sure if they can be enlarged without too much trouble. The 750 boxes are pinched on top a bit and don't fit as well because of it. I think I can get them to work though. Thought about making an enclosure of sorts for foam filters but it got too complex trying to figure out crosswinds and rain protection and mounting/acessability.I've not given up trying in the future. Right now, I just want to get this project running and rolling under it's own power. I've had several non-running KZ 650/750 frames and engines in the back yard for the better part of 20 yrs. THIS one is going to STAY and RUN and I WILL RIDE her! Barring life having other plans for me or this frame/engine.
Like my '80 XS650 SG, this ride will have my touch in her.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting all over. Again! 19 Jan 2016 19:51 #707341

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
I have been working on the project now and again but nothing of any major progress until of late. I've added a rear wheel and brake from a later and probably bigger KZ. I still need to finish connecting the brake stator rod as it is different attachment design. Also a larger oilcooler is going to used. It needed o be modified to be used and a mounting to the frame will be a custom. Oil cooler lines will be sliced and diced to fit. I will attach pics after I resize them. I still need to cut some steel flatstock for the brake rod. Pics will be taked when that happens.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Starting all over. Again! 20 Jan 2016 09:24 #707381

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Here are those pics as promised...

Starting all over. Again! 14 Apr 2018 23:19 #781813

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Can't believe its been this long since I've added anything. The project is still progressing! Plumbed the oil lines with some copper tubing. Installed the oil cooler upside down to keep the oil in the cooler between runs. Instrument mount complete. I'm using XS 650 housings and a Digital Speedo/Tach in one and USB port and voltage meter in the other. No mechanical gauges. I'll have to mount magnet or 2 on the front wheel. Haven't done that yet. Still working out what will work. Of course, anything is subject to change.

Last edit: by azman857.

Starting all over. Again! 17 May 2018 21:52 #783584

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Look what showed up in the mail! A ZR starter clutch and shaft. Now if an oil pump would show up on ebay at a reasonable price...
Attachments:

Starting all over. Again! 21 Sep 2018 14:53 #791210

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Last night I finally got the clutch nut loose to get the clutch out. Used the heat gun on it. High temp. Been trying a week with the holding tool, socket on a 1/2" breaker bar and a cheater pipe. Took 2 tries but it broke loose.Got the secondary shaft out after the oil pump was taken out. Everything is in position to be installed tonight. Get the later ZR starter clutch in, get the clutch reassembled and the cover on. It'll be nice to move forward again. Next would be to finish getting the head finished. Installing the buckets/shims and cam chain.Get the shims right for the valve clearance. Progress!

Last edit: by azman857.

Starting all over. Again! 06 Oct 2018 18:08 #791943

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Got the old pan gasket off. Took a bit of scraping and Dremel work. Got the new gasket out and put it in on the pan with a non drying gasket material. The pan is bolted to the case! The last cover to go on is the left side cover for the secondary shaft. I just haven't gotten to it yet. 2 screws and done. I think the next area of interest will be the final install of the oil cooler.

Starting all over. Again! 29 Mar 2019 22:05 #801272

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
Been messing with valve adjustments. It's taken quite a few nights and 2 trips to the old bike store to get the shims needed. Now to get it all timed up. WHEW!
Attachments:

• Page: