Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 E-2 26 Sep 2012 23:17 #551086

• Chaotic Reason
  • Chaotic Reason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Thanks Leon, she is about ready to ride... 2 months after my last post! Boy time flies when your busy!!! I was able to get that wee pin, and installed it without a problem. The whole rear went together fine. Thanks everyone for the assist, I am so grateful for all your help.

I FINALLY did get the carbs together and mounted. I also spent a day sorting out the wiring harness. That thing was a total rats nest. The PO did some of the worst wiring I think I've seen in a long time. Stuff like stripping off some of the cover and then shoving it into other end of a bracket. I am so thankful that one of the mechanics that I work with, is an ex motorcycle mechanic! It would have taken me forever to see all the things that he pointed out to me to fix.
He helped me out on Saturday, and we got everything wired up and tucked away, up to the seat. I still have to finish the wiring, including the rear tail light, do the brakes, put on the grips, put the tach drive into the engine and connect it up. I want to hear it start so bad I can taste it, motor oil... yummmm.... :woohoo:, but we felt it better to get all the wiring done first.

Attachment IMG_0401.JPG not found

The good news is that my buddy is coming back over this Saturday, so I SHOULD be able to start her up. I decided against the forward controls, for now. I just want to ride dangit!!! But might see what I can do in the future.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 E-2 23 Oct 2012 15:31 #555393

• Chaotic Reason
  • Chaotic Reason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
IT STARTED!!!! And ran for a bit too! With full choke, but I don't care. Having had it apart for over a year, just to hear it start up was awesome!
The bad news- It's only running on 3 cylinders. The number 3 cylinder (the one not running) has lower compression than the rest. I'll get a gauge on it to find the exact numbers, but it barely pushed my buddies finger off the plug hole when we cranked it.
I also could only bring it slightly off of full choke, and whenever I tried to give it any gas, it wanted to die. Darn carbs.... I know it's not the carbs fault. I was the one who put them together, so it's totally my fault, but grrrrr. When running on full choke, it's hitting around 3 to 4k rpms. And it sounds pretty nice with the exhaust I built. I'm so glad that I made them facing the ground and slightly away from me though. :laugh: It's a bit hard to start, but once it starts, it runs. But I still can't give it any gas. And even after it runs for awhile, it's still hard to re-start.

I took the valve cover off, and rotated the cam, and the buckets move free... DARN... So now I have to take the head off and see what's going on with the valves... I lapped the living daylights out of them when I was putting everything together. And everything seemed true and straight during assembly. So I'm kinda in a pickle.

The really bad news- I'm moving to Oregon in just about 3 weeks, so I seriously don't have the time to take things apart, and I am going to be staying with some very kind people for awhile, when I move out there. So taking along a "project" doesn't seem like the best idea.

I am SOOOO not a happy camper. If it were running, then taking it would not be a problem. But taking along something I still have to fix, when I don't even have a place of my own, that's a whole different matter...

Do you ever feel like your head is going to explode?
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.