• Page:

TOPIC:

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 13:29 #186752

• LukeJ
  • LukeJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

Im new on the forums, as I was referred here by a mate of mine when I had some questions about my newest hopeless project ;) Im far too optimistic about success sometimes.

Im originally a member of a Honda forum as my day to day communter is a CBR250R, but now that I've been given this GPZ750, I guess I can pick your brains about what to do.

The whole story and pics are on this thread at the Honda forums

www.cbr250.com/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48754

But if you can't be bothered looking at that dirty honda thread, heres a pic of "The Ships Anchor" - aptly named because the damn beast is sooo heavy compared to the lightweight 250

QUESTION NUMBER 1
I dont have a sump plug for this bike as yet, and there arent many places I'll get one locally, if at all. I was going to put a short, fine thread bolt in there as a stop gap solution, but all the bolt shops are closed for Chrissy too.

Anyway, I just want to make sure that nothing is seized in the engine, so I thought I would put a little oil down each cylinder, put the bike in a higher gear and try and push it to get the engine to turn over.

However, I can only seem to select first or neutral, which is confirmed by the neutral light. Is there any pecial trick to getting into second, or should I be investigating a problem elsewhere?

Many thanks, see you around the forums
Luke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 13:48 #186755

• tnutz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
kawis have a + neutral finder, cant put it into higer gears unless you are moving.

i had a mint 84, and i mean mint (lady owned since 84, looked brand new) that i just sold. was a very fun bike to ride, but not near as fun as my EFI 81 1100. but yeh those motors are tough, you will have alot of fun with this bike man. I also know of a fella (through my ex) who has very clean and very fast modded 84 GPz750 turbo...these were the baddest of bad stock turbo bikes. Gpz's have to be my fave old skool sport bikes. kawi has always had it nailed.

i also see that there is no oil in it. clutch plates are probably going to be stuck together.

Post edited by: tnutz, at: 2007/12/28 16:59

Post edited by: tnutz, at: 2007/12/28 17:00

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 14:00 #186758

• 1982KZ1100D1
  • User
Since you will have the plugs out to add the oil, just pull the ignition cover and put a socket on the 17mm nut to turn the engine over. Don't use the smaller nut as it can break off. The engine should turn over easily.

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 16:22 #186769

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Welcome to the site Lukej

I'm pretty sure although not quite 100% that your sump plug/oil drain plug is 12mm x 1.5mm. To double check go to kawasaki.com, owner info, parts diagrams etc.
You can usually get them at auto parts stores. They are the type of item they often have out front and they come in many shapes and sizes. You could also try a temporary one and you can also get these at the auto parts store. I used the one in the pic and it did the job for a while but i would not trust it long term. After every ride I could usually tighten it a bit more by hand.

Regarding 2nd gear you wont get it into 2nd unless the bike is running or at least the rear wheel is turning. Kawasakis have a safety mechanism built in to prevent this happening.

Where are you located ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 21:26 #186801

• LukeJ
  • User
Well, first Im from Australia - North Queensland to be precise.

I managed to get the ignition cover off (found a big crack down the bottom, but it'd been sealed with some hardcore glue), turned over the engine without difficulty, all the pistons going up and down without a drama.

I did notice that there was a wet patch on the side of the engine block. I followed it back up to the Number 1 exhaust meets the block, and there was a single drop of oil just sitting there. Would this be the gasket? And if so, I guess it would be replacement time...

Anyway, its nice to know about the positive neutral finder feature. Now I just have to find a sump plug as all the shops are bike shops are closed for the Christmas/New Years holiday.
I guess I'll have to wait.

** Edit:
Found someone who had a 12x1.5 sump plug and it would probably be correct, however, I think I have the wrong hole. Heres a pic - could someone tell me what I should be looking for?

PS: The Kawasaki site is awesome, but I still cant see the required bolt...

Post edited by: LukeJ, at: 2007/12/29 01:33

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 22:55 #186809

• tnutz
  • User
big one that says front is oil filter.

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 23:05 #186810

• LukeJ
  • User
Yep, i found the manual for the turbo version of the 750, and like you say, the oil filter is at one end, the drain plug at the other and the middle one gets no mention other than a banjo bolt?? Im not sure if this is the part anyway.

By the way, whats a banjo bolt?

Post edited by: LukeJ, at: 2007/12/29 02:07

Post edited by: LukeJ, at: 2007/12/29 02:09

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 28 Dec 2007 23:32 #186812

• tnutz
  • User
i am pretty sure the one missing is your drain plug.

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 29 Dec 2007 01:17 #186817

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr LukeJ. :)

The oil pan on your bike was also used on quite a few other Kawi models, and was altered as needed depending on a particular models needs.
The bolt hole you're refering to with the question mark is used to secure the exhaust cross-over tube (as shown in pic below of my ZN700's exhaust) on some models.

On some models (like my ZN700 and your KZ750-R1 GPz) that bolt hole is pre-taped to accept a bolt, on other models it's either a blind hole (other 750 models) or hasn't even been drilled out (some 650 models).
Consequently, the "block" on the front of the oil pan where the oil cooler hoses connects to isn't drilled or taped on models other than your GPz750, the KZ700 "Sport" and KZ750 "Sport" models, which also had the factory installed oil cooler.

FWIW, I recently swapped in the factory oil pan and oil cooler (shown below) from an '82 KZ750-R1 GPz to my '84 ZN700, and everything (aside from the oil cooler mounting) lined up perfectly.

[img size=450][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/RetroRiceRocketRider/ZN700%20pics/Oilcooler1.jpg[/img]
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 29 Dec 2007 02:59 #186818

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
You might try Allen who owns zpower in wollongong NSW.
He has a website www.zpower.com.au and has been in the business for a long time.
I ship a lot of parts down under because parts are so hard to find there.
Z1 enterprises should have a link somewhere on this map under vendors. Jeff is fast and cheap! (lol)
He sells world wide also.
You will need to cross refrence parts to find what parts from diffrent models will fit your bike. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 29 Dec 2007 04:50 #186826

• LukeJ
  • User

The bolt hole you're refering to with the question mark is used to secure the exhaust cross-over tube (as shown in pic below of my ZN700's exhaust) on some models.

The bike I have has an aftermarket exhaust, so, in other words, I don't need that bolt after all?

What about the weeping oil where the exhaust meets the engine block?

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check out Zpower too

First Post, Second Bike - GPZ750A 29 Dec 2007 05:00 #186828

• Dr Zed
  • User
Luke,

Tony from the CBR forum, pm me with your mobile number or email address and I can go and see Alan at Z Power for you, I know him and the guys that work in the shop in Wollongong so it may make it easier for you, I live about 1/2 an hour south of the Gong.

Cheers,
Tony
B) B) B)

• Page: