• Page:

TOPIC:

81 KZ550 15 Sep 2007 22:06 #170822

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Jack2006: what's your progress?

Iandz500: I also think part of why your bikes did not fry is that you were lucky. Since I was 4 yrs old I've been in a motorcycle shop of some sort (my dad owned a shop, and I still work in two shops during the summers) and I'm 43 now: I've seen TONS of bikes with electrical problems caused by jumping from a running car/truck. I literally can't count the number of jacked up electrics that I've seen because of a running-car/bike jump.
...but like Grandpa Russell always used to say: "It's better to be lucky, than to be good."
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 KZ550 17 Sep 2007 16:15 #171170

• jack2006
  • jack2006's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok i guess its time for an update...

After I got into the electrical I found that the regulator/rectumfryer was burned ...the white wire was charred along with wiring that I talked about above...So I go a new one ...a couple of wires and voila...I checked all the remaining wires...fuses etc...all looked pretty good no problems...So wanting to get the baby fired up (After changing the all the filters and the usual) i tried starting the damn thing and nothing just dry cranking...well I emptied the bowl cuz the bike was standing for a while and still nothing. So back to the electrical as I figured there might be no spark.

Unfortunately I was right...now this is where the biatch work began...I had to trace the problem...it took me 2 days of poking with the VM and I think i nailed it to a faulty IC Ignitor...I mean i checked both coils for res and all. The left sideworkes fine and if I plug in the right into the left it works great too. But the right will not give a spark on its own...the wiring is good, so after eliminating everything back to the IC and yes thats the problem all wires give a spark (when doing the seperate V12 check)except one...meaning the current does not go throught the IC correctly from what I understand...

So tomorrow I think i;ll go to the parts store and look for a used one if not I;ll just get a new ignitor...I'm so close yet so far...

Oh yeah and the tires are coming in too...I'll snap some pics once they are on...2-3 days.

81 KZ550 17 Sep 2007 18:35 #171211

• KZDon
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Goshdarnit that looks alot like what's sitting in my garage.

Since it's been sitting a while, make sure you grease the wheel bearings when you have the wheels off to put on the tires.

Take a look at this article on the Cycle Canada forum. It addresses a bunch of issues for a bike that has been garaged for a while. www.cyclecanadamagazine.net/ForumArticle...d/96/Just-Grand.aspx

Last but not least, I was going through tach and speed cables pretty quickly until I got into the habit of pulling them completely apart to lube them about twice a year.

Save that exhaust. It will probably sound better than my crappy Mac.
Midland, Ontario, Great White North

2004 650 V-Strom
farewell to 81 KZ550A2 - 82 GS750T - 83 GPz750 - R-Reg GT380 - 76 DT175 - 84 GPz550

81 KZ550 17 Sep 2007 19:46 #171233

• jack2006
  • jack2006's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Yea its funny how electrical things just deteriorate if they are not used...I allways wondered why that is.

As for that IC Ignitor I decided to make my own, even a used one is like 100 bucks around here so for 35 or so (that the parts will cost) i'd rather sit for an hour soldering (learning something new) and have one made.

• Page: