Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 09 Apr 2007 18:39 #128250

• themachine
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
cool n' all but i prefer to do it once, do it right.

i also prefer house of color but that orange turned out nice for no sanding.
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 09 Apr 2007 22:16 #128372

• AR15Ron
  • AR15Ron's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I don't have the patience to do it right, and the guy I was gonna pay to paint it and do it perfect is too unreliable so I gave the job to the one guy I can always count on. I don't really care as long as it looks good from a distance of 3 feet or so :) It actually turned out pretty good anyway, I may pay more attention to the tank and actually fix the small dents and such. If I did everything to the level I consider "right" I would not be riding this season!

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 10 Apr 2007 10:47 #128531

• AR15Ron
  • User
So I'm having a lot of trouble painting the tail for some reason. Paint just wont stick in some spots no matter how much I sand or wipe it down or what paint I use. So here's some more pics to pass the time.

Chain guard doesnt fit right with the bigger sprocket, have to work on that.

I took a few pics and tried to catch the lights on, LED's seem pretty bright.

Ron

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 10 Apr 2007 11:32 #128546

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
what brand of paint is that from walmart Ron? Looks great! I am in between the decision of doing it your way or using actual auto paint, but not to skilled in that so I would say spray paint is my direction. By the way, is that spray paint gas resistant and what clear coat are you using? Is it the same brand as the walmart brand you got?
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 10 Apr 2007 21:40 #128703

• AR15Ron
  • User
kzwolfsr wrote:

what brand of paint is that from walmart Ron? Looks great! I am in between the decision of doing it your way or using actual auto paint, but not to skilled in that so I would say spray paint is my direction. By the way, is that spray paint gas resistant and what clear coat are you using? Is it the same brand as the walmart brand you got?

It's Walmarts own brand, $1 a can, same for the clear coat. Obviously real auto paint will be better but I'm going for cheap. I don't have a big enough compressor to spray so I'm stuck with cans anyway. I don't really know how gas resistant it is, but I did paint a car with the same paint years ago and once it had time to age it seemed pretty good. I once spilled gas all down the side of the car and the paint stayed on. The problem with the Walmart paint is you don't have many colors to choose from. The green is decent, red is nice, black and white are as they should be, but yellow is kind of ugly dull. They have 2 shades of blue, i like both, and the orange I went with. They also have flat white and flat black. Pretty much all you have to choose from. For what it costs to paint a bike you can do a different color every year <G>.

Ron

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 11 Apr 2007 09:08 #128793

• AR15Ron
  • User
W00T!
Just got back from about an hour long ride. It's still got carb issues but it runs good enough to drive it. I got home and found gas all over the floor (fuel was turned off and pretty much run until it quit last time). Float was stuck in #1, figures since its sposed to snow tonight and its hitting 50 degrees today. So I was able to take the bowl off without taking the carbs off and get it unstuck. Found a piece of black crap stuck in there, dunno where it came from. Anyway, here's some pics, and a video. It was 40 degrees when I started so I'm wearing pants under pants, a jacket I got off ebay for $30, sweatshirt, and body armor under that. LOL
I was not cold tho!

Guess I'll have to upload the video later, Photobucket isnt cooperating.

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 11 Apr 2007 10:09 #128806

• AR15Ron
  • User
Video Goodness as promised:

Hmm that isnt working for me.. Here's the link till I figure it out.

Video KZ-1000

Post edited by: AR15Ron, at: 2007/04/11 13:18

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 12 Apr 2007 06:44 #129187

• kzwolfsr
  • User
You don't look as old as I thought you were Ron! What brand of paint did you use on that bad boy?
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 12 Apr 2007 06:46 #129189

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Nevermind I just read it

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 12 Apr 2007 09:52 #129234

• AR15Ron
  • User
kzwolfsr wrote:

Nevermind I just read it

LOL gotta love Walmart. My tail piece is coming out nicely, finally got the paint to stick to it. Something in the old paint thats under the old paint I had to sand the hell out of it. Just the clear for that then on to the tank and front fender. Did the WiredGeorge coil mod today. See if that gets rid of some of that popping you can hear. I was losing about 1.5 volts to the coils. I don't have the money to upgrade the coils and ignition for another month or so, so I decided to fix what I got for now.

Yeah, I routinely get carded for everything. I don't even look as old as I am (almost 31). Sometimes I FEEL old ;) Like when I get a haircut and see all that gray <G>.

Ron

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 13 Apr 2007 06:28 #129589

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Dude please! You aint old yet, try 23 on for size lol. But really being on this site makes me feel like a baby, but at my work I feel like a wise older guy, since I know the tricks of the trade. I am a carpenter making signs, cutting them out on the band saw, sanding and routing, or occassionally like now, I got some large 6' signs I have to carve

1978 KZ-1000 A2 (long post) 15 Apr 2007 11:41 #130375

• AR15Ron
  • User
I'm kind of torn in what direction to go next. Still not running right, think it's carb related. Guess I'll get to work on that before tackling some of the other stuff. Here's some more pics anyway. Drove it about 40 miles yesterday and froze my ass off.

coil mod:

Tail pice is done and on:

Got the headlight bucket and covers done and all back together. Notice the chin scoop lurking in the backround ;)

Post edited by: AR15Ron, at: 2007/04/15 14:42